Author Topic: SPUD GANG  (Read 984 times)

Offline flyfishbowhunticefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
SPUD GANG
« on: Dec 31, 2017, 11:36 AM »
Let's get it noticed. How many of us actually use spuds early, mid, and late season. Those of us that do know what a valuable tool this is and usually won't leave home without it. I see so many people risking going in due to walking blind. Sometimes even after I've warned them. Then get out there, measure the ice AFTER DRILLING A HOLE, and think "well, I'm not falling through, must be safe"...  I don't want to have to risk mine saving theirs! I have the two piece redneck chisel which weighs 11 lbs. I know that if I can hit the ice once and I blow right through that I'm not walking that direction any longer. Spudding every two steps. Two hits with a little water usually means 4 inches. Two hits no water means greater than 4. Maybe if we share and show how many people use this simple tool to stay safe we can convince others to go drop 30 bucks and possibly save a life!  SPUD GANG 4 LIFE!!!

http://www.landmsupply.com/department/sporting-goods/ice-fishing/accessories/eskimo-redneck-two-piece-ice-chisel?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google_base&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsqLSBRCmARIsAL4Pa9To_WycV4NWzTW-hPReg4ysNy6xW_MLN5NFeOr8KjZjxx0cNkHmcYQaAgcYEALw_wcB
Y'all catchin?

Offline Iceaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: SPUD GANG
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2017, 12:31 PM »
I second that, i always test first ice with spud as i make my moves. Once i check the area i fish and make sure it’s safe i’ll put my spud bar away. If i go out of my fishing range, i’ll check again. I always try to leave the fishing spot the same way i came in. Sometimes it could be a couple feet away a fresh frozen spot.  I saw on friday couple people walkin on the ice around north glade, when i was leaving, no spud bar or ropes, that’s wrong. A lot of people have no idea about the ice. Please stay of the ice w/o the right equipment or knowledge.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2017, 12:42 PM »
Agreed on the spudbar! Ice conditions can vary from foot to foot due to many factors. Springs, weed growth, submerged items like trees and rocks etc., rotten ice covered with snow, expansion cracks, weather changes...experienced guys know the signs. Thanks to the OP for a timely and pertinent post!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2017, 06:51 PM »
Use mine all the time early and late ice. Once we have good ice I have it but rarly use it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.