Author Topic: Very effective burbot rigging.... PICTURES BACK UP!  (Read 20580 times)

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
Very effective burbot rigging.... PICTURES BACK UP!
« on: Mar 15, 2016, 07:29 PM »
Started using this rigging last year.

Tipped one barb with a diamond-shaped piece of pike skin.  It was remarkably effective, so posted about it.  The rig makes a lot of noise when you shake it. I think the multiple connection creates the rattling, fish come to investigate, and "Hey....free lunch!"

Works night and day. I save a few pike skins from the first fillets of the year, and freeze them for bait the rest of the season.  They work, add both attraction and scent to a lure, and are almost impossible for fish to pull off the hook.

First burbot trip this year was yesterday, and we are having fresh cod for supper tonight.

I know it's too late for most of you, but you might want to give it a try next season.

Best,
Ted

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Very effective burbot rigging.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2016, 08:22 PM »
Thanks for sharing your secret lure Yukoner. The green glow jig tipped with a minnow head has been so-so.
I will make up something similar for my week long trip to northern Sk. starting next weekend.  :icefish:

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2016, 12:29 AM »
Not really a secret, as I posted about it last year, but certainly one of the most effective rigs I have ever used.  Seems it also gets better hook-ups, perhaps because the hook dangling away from the spoon makes it easier for them to get the bait well into their mouth.  Some of the strikes are really hard, as compared to using soft baits, which they seem to just inhale rather than strike.

My buddy, Bert, uses this rig with a #3 Ruby Eye spoon. No doubt, being from Saskatchewan, you know what that is.

Good luck on your trip up North.  Please let me know how this works for you, and don't be surprised when a laker smashes one!

Best,
Ted

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2016, 05:52 PM »
Ted does the trailer not cause your hook to tangle with your jig/line way more often?  I guess you're keeping your movements on the subtle side?

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2016, 06:00 PM »
Amazingly, it rarely gets tangled.  Perhaps five or six times in the past two years. 

Have two versions of the setup.  The top picture and the picture in the dark shows it with a snap and swivel.  The picture of the one on the tailgate, has only a swivel, with the hook connected with a second split ring.  That was the one I was using again last night.  Both work, and I cannot recall if one was more likely to tangle than the other.

If you watch it just under the ice, you will see that the spoon sinks and flutters horizontally, while the trailer rides above the spoon.  When the line tightens, it just falls straight down, and doesn't hit the spoon as it swings to vertical.

Actually jig it both ways, pounding the bottom, then lifting it quickly, and continually slow and easy just off the bottom.

It was working again last night.    :)  Fresh cod for supper in about two hours!
Ted

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2016, 06:44 PM »
Last night, from 9:45 to 11:45.  These were the ones kept for Easter dinner.  No monsters, really good eaters.  The rod is 28" long to give you an idea of the size. 

God bless,
Ted

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2016, 09:15 PM »

Was very warm today.  Snow melting very fast now, the end is coming quicker than usual.

Have a great Easter Sunday, Everyone!

Ted

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2016, 08:39 AM »
Yukoner - I rigged 2 spoons, one similar to your pic and and another with  ruby eyes, caught a pike (jack here) on a tip-up for the hook trimming and did my best jigging, but no luck. There are burbot in the lake and we did catch one 29" on a tip-up, so being an amateur the result to be attributed entirely to my lack of knowledge of fish habits and hole placement. I am going to get electronics and read everything I can this summer so next season will be different. Thanks for the tip - it is filed for the future.

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2016, 12:43 PM »
Odd you say that because a guy on Alaska Outdoors contacted me and told me he caught ten using it between 11:00 PM and 1:00 AM on Saturday night.  gorf37 on the other hand, who posted here, tried it and drew a blank, however he and his fishing buddy limited out using glow baits the same night.

Certainly, it may not always work.  I went out last night with my lovely wife to purposely try our luck in 40KM winds.  She caught three using a green glow tube bait just off the bottom in 40 feet, while I was still waiting for a hit.

Interesting stuff,
Ted

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 30, 2016, 01:49 AM »
Just bought some of the new glow Len Thompson spoons. Might be effective for this rig. Filing for next winter.

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2016, 12:13 PM »
That should really work!  Triple trouble: glow plus the rattle and bait.

I'll be watching for your report next year.

Best,
Ted

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #11 on: Mar 31, 2016, 04:10 AM »
Started using this rigging last year.

Tipped one barb with a diamond-shaped piece of pike skin.  It was remarkably effective, so posted about it.  The rig make a lot of noise when you shake it. I think the multiple connection creates the rattling, fish come to investigate, and "Hey....free lunch!"

I save a few pike skins from the first fillets of the year, and freeze them for bait the rest of the season.  They work, add both attraction and scent to a lure, and are almost impossible for fish to pull off the hook.

Works night and day. First burbot trip this year was yesterday, and we are having fresh cod for supper tonight.

I know it's too late for most of you, but you might want to give it a try next season.

Best,
Ted
Excellent ideas!
Thanks for sharing.
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2016, 12:17 PM »
Thanks for posting that Yukoner.

Nice group of burbot. :)

I have used that snap swivel method as well on the blue fox rattle spoons as well as buckshot rattle spoons and the good old Len Thompson.
Just this spring I found those mustad fastach clips and replaced my snap swivels with that.

Which ever method of attachment, I know they both work fine. ;D

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2017, 02:22 AM »
Okay, Boys and Girls, time to get serious again!  ;D

Anyone been after them yet, actually targeting them?

Ted

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2017, 10:45 AM »
We haven't been specifically targeting them this winter but we have been catching them. Was out last weekend during the evening bite for walleyes and had the camera down the hole and saw a couple of them swim by. One was following a pike. Once it got dark the one of our neighbors we were fishing with caught his first ever pout. Short time later we caught another bigger pout. I caught a couple of 10" dink pout as well too. We didn't stay out too late because the walleyes weren't biting that well so we left. Cleaned the pout and gave it to the neighbors since they had never tried them. Headed back out this weekend. I'm sure we will get more.

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2017, 06:40 PM »
Just got back home, 20 more inches of ice, and my friends have been catching a few for the past three weeks.

Going to get better and better until ice gets bad.
Ted

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2017, 11:47 PM »
We are eating fresh burbot, Friends, and the same dropped hook rig did the trick again.

Just a small piece of piece of pike skin on one of the barbs is all it took.  This rig really works, night and day!
Ted

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2017, 10:52 AM »
Bitter cold last night, -30 was the forecast, but went and gave it a try anyway.   Fished into the dark, caught first fish an hour later.

No strikes at all, just a very soft take on the uplift.  Hooked seven in two hours, brought six home.
Ted

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Very effective burbot rigging.... PICTURES BACK UP!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2018, 01:06 AM »
Hoping to get out for burbot this week.  Will be the first time this year.

Little skin attached, and will be the first lure down the hole.

Ted

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2018, 06:00 PM »
Good luck Yukoner.

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2018, 06:36 PM »
Well my left arm is in a sling, so have not made it onto the ice one time this winter.  Won't bore you with the details, but would be interested to hear how this rig is working, if any of you are trying it.

Ted

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2018, 03:38 AM »
Too bad Ted, Good luck on a speedy recovery.  I saw one on sale this summer and remembered your post.  I haven't been out for burbot yet but I'll be giving it a whirl when I do.

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 22, 2018, 07:11 PM »
Well, Friends, my arm is healing up pretty well, and I made my first trip out for burbot.  We came home with eight nice fish, and this is just the beginning,

Got 14 inches of snow in the last 48 hours, wind blowing like crazy, so perhaps tomorrow night we'll go again.  First hit came on the dropped hook rig with a piece of pike skin attached. That and green glow jig both worked.

Ted

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 28, 2018, 07:03 PM »
Way to go Yukoner,
Congrats on your catch and glad to hear feeling better.  :)

WW

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Apr 04, 2018, 11:53 PM »
Last night they were hitting both jigs and spoons, sweetened up with fresh pike skin.  Fishing in 45-60 feet of water just inches off the bottom, it was quite interesting how they were smashing the spoons, but only taking the jigs very slowly. 

Only detected the fish on jigs when lifting the rod.  Not a single fish whacked a jig.

Ted

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Apr 09, 2018, 11:32 PM »
Got a big mess of fish last night.  Jigs and spoons both working, but the killer was a bare glow jig, no plastic, with a piece of pike belly on it. Caught at least a dozen using that.

Certainly more than one way to get them.

Ted

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Apr 12, 2018, 12:23 AM »
Nice going Yukoner.  :)

Are they still spawning there, or is it over now?
Either way, the burbot are still biting for you.  :)

WW

Offline Roan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2018, 08:42 AM »
I found a ruby eye spoon in my tackle box and rigged it like picture showed.  Caught 3 burbot, fishing with friends that caught none.  then I thought about glow in the dark lures for burbot so I took a dremel to the lure to scuff it up, painted it white then with glow yellow.   Awesome lure, next time we went I caught the first 11,  group ended up with 31 total.  I missed many other strikes that night.  I think the treble hook was to small.   Ice is Gone now, so next year!! 

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 07:51 PM »
Yep, my buddy's favourite is the Ruby Eye.  You can see he's not afraid of using a good size hook. :)

Your idea of glowing it evidently made it better.
Ted

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2018, 09:18 PM »
Don't know where the pictures got to?

Re-posted them after the Pee Bucket debacle using this site image posting option.  They were all there, now the only one showing is the one I posted today.

Ted

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.