Author Topic: New Gear for 2019/2020 Season  (Read 42293 times)

Offline Sierra57

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New Gear for 2019/2020 Season
« Reply #90 on: Sep 15, 2019, 11:22 AM »
Ice Hole Power has pre-orders of their new blue box kits going through Sept. 20th. If you're in the same boat as me and plan on putting a helix or something similar on a Genz pack this looks like it'll be a pretty sweet little kit!

https://www.iceholepower.com/product-page/blue-box-diy-kit

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #91 on: Sep 15, 2019, 06:56 PM »
 agreed on the clam crap.  other than the plate it's all garbage now a days.

Offline iTinker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Self purported mad scientist
« Reply #92 on: Sep 16, 2019, 09:14 PM »
Those stupid blade trebles screw up the action of the jigging rap... They're just trying to hook fishermen on this one.
"What is this monstrosity? Not going in..." Wife (AM)

"Beer run? We're out..." Wife (mid morning after finishing a 6)

"Can we sleep out on the ice?" Wife (PM)

Yep...

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #93 on: Sep 17, 2019, 06:52 PM »
Those stupid blade trebles screw up the action of the jigging rap... They're just trying to hook fishermen on this one.

LOL...you nailed it right on!  LOL...I already experimented with that like almost 20 yrs ago.  It doesn't work so well.  Now for open water...that's a different story.  It works like a belly spinner jig.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #94 on: Sep 17, 2019, 09:26 PM »
My new add on for this year is a FLX 20.  Just ordered it.  Hoping to get to try it a little on the boat before I get into my deer hunting.
<br />

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont wish your life away!
« Reply #95 on: Sep 18, 2019, 07:39 AM »
My new add on for this year is a FLX 20.  Just ordered it.  Hoping to get to try it a little on the boat before I get into my deer hunting.

You will love it!! I bought one 2 seasons ago and bought one for the wife last year. Best bang for you buck IMO.

Offline iTinker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Self purported mad scientist
« Reply #96 on: Sep 18, 2019, 10:38 PM »
Spend the extra $20 for the FL-22
"What is this monstrosity? Not going in..." Wife (AM)

"Beer run? We're out..." Wife (mid morning after finishing a 6)

"Can we sleep out on the ice?" Wife (PM)

Yep...

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #97 on: Sep 19, 2019, 05:58 AM »
the flx20 has way more features than the old fl22,its brushless and not limited to 60ft.dont get me wrong i like my fl22 but its no flx20.

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Sep 19, 2019, 07:09 AM »
According the HT sales rep at the St Paul ice show last year, they will have an 8 inch Nero auger out this year, and a drill adapter similar to the Clam Plate as well. These were both leaked last year in the Reed's catalog, but should be available this year.

They had the 8" available last year. I almost bought one until I talked with the gear buyer at my local store. He said about 40% of the 7" Nero augers would twist the main shaft.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Sep 19, 2019, 03:24 PM »
They had the 8" available last year. I almost bought one until I talked with the gear buyer at my local store. He said about 40% of the 7" Nero augers would twist the main shaft.

Where did you see the 8"? I wasn't able to find it anywhere. It was mistakenly advertised in the Reeds catalog, but according to the rep, it won't be available until this year. I've used the 7" Nero for two seasons, and I love it. Cuts extremely fast. Other members have used them as well and love them.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #100 on: Sep 19, 2019, 05:42 PM »
I'm not for sure, but I think the FL-22 might be discontinued.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #101 on: Sep 19, 2019, 05:45 PM »
On a side note, a new hub from Otter that wasn't listed in this years online catalog...

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/otter-outdoors-xth-pro-monster-lodge-hub-shelter

Offline tm37

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Sep 19, 2019, 08:45 PM »
On a side note, a new hub from Otter that wasn't listed in this years online catalog...

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/otter-outdoors-xth-pro-monster-lodge-hub-shelter

Wow wonder what that will cost

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Sep 20, 2019, 09:21 AM »
Where did you see the 8"? I wasn't able to find it anywhere. It was mistakenly advertised in the Reeds catalog, but according to the rep, it won't be available until this year. I've used the 7" Nero for two seasons, and I love it. Cuts extremely fast. Other members have used them as well and love them.
I didn't actually see it, was talking to the buyer at Joes' sporting goods. He said he would/could order one but wasn't bringing them into the store..

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #104 on: Sep 20, 2019, 06:16 PM »
Wow wonder what that will cost
I hear it is exclusive to Cabelas (BassPro).

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #105 on: Sep 21, 2019, 05:28 PM »
Looking like the Fenwick Aetos ice rod series is being discontinued and replaced with the Techna series??  Can't say I know much about this new offering, but I was one who liked the Aetos rods - have several.  Currently have one of the Aetos rods returned to Fenwick for a warranty issue and was told I will have to wait until mid-October for the replacement - might not be an Aetos I get back by the looks of things.   ???

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #106 on: Sep 21, 2019, 06:37 PM »
Ice Strong is releasing a new ultralight spring bobber this year called "The Pulse":

$10 for a piece of wire seems high.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #107 on: Sep 21, 2019, 08:58 PM »

I'm calling BS on the twisting of 40% of the 7" Nero shafts. Prove it. Post up some of the IceShanty Forum links from anyone who's experienced that first hand. You couldn't do it if you tried. Those things are made of STEEL. I've got two seasons of hard use including dirty ice on my Nero 7" and I'm still on the original set of blades unsharpened though I'll probably re-sharpen this Fall.
Reed's catalog just came today and it shows the 8" size as available. I like my 7" model enough that I'll be sticking with it.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #108 on: Sep 22, 2019, 04:17 AM »
Looking like the Fenwick Aetos ice rod series is being discontinued and replaced with the Techna series??  Can't say I know much about this new offering, but I was one who liked the Aetos rods - have several.  Currently have one of the Aetos rods returned to Fenwick for a warranty issue and was told I will have to wait until mid-October for the replacement - might not be an Aetos I get back by the looks of things.   ???

That's a shame.  Fenwich Aetos is probably one of the best retail rods out there that was pioneering a unique niche.  A real jigging rod with an extra fast tip power.  They should've expanded the line up. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Online Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #109 on: Sep 22, 2019, 08:15 AM »
Fenwick likes to redo their rod models every 3 years or so.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #110 on: Sep 22, 2019, 09:18 AM »
I'm calling BS on the twisting of 40% of the 7" Nero shafts. Prove it. Post up some of the IceShanty Forum links from anyone who's experienced that first hand. You couldn't do it if you tried. Those things are made of STEEL. I've got two seasons of hard use including dirty ice on my Nero 7" and I'm still on the original set of blades unsharpened though I'll probably re-sharpen this Fall.
Reed's catalog just came today and it shows the 8" size as available. I like my 7" model enough that I'll be sticking with it.
    why would anybody lie about that ?????? What would anyone stand to gain by lying
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Sep 22, 2019, 10:11 AM »

why would anybody lie about that ?????? What would anyone stand to gain by lying

Think about it...a gear buyer for a local store. Maybe just doesn’t want to carry the Nero line for whatever reason.

I have a 7” as well, and agree there’s no way the shaft will twist. The little dude is one tough ice-eater!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Online HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #112 on: Sep 22, 2019, 10:54 AM »

Brand loyalty,  profit margins,  personal opinion, ect. Sure seems like many pro staff out there are a bunch of "liars" endorsing cheap products to make a buck, wouldn't put it past a salesman to endorse the auger with the largest profit margin.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #113 on: Sep 22, 2019, 11:33 AM »
I've become cynical enough in recent years that if someone tells me that the sun rises in the east I'm going pause a moment to think about it. It's surprising how little motivation it takes to turn a man into a liar these days. Some people do it for recreation it seems. Let's go back to our Cub Scout days. Don't be a stealer. Don't be a liar. Don't hit girls.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #114 on: Sep 22, 2019, 01:08 PM »
No problems with my nero either.i havent seen any reports or reviews that are bad on the nero except for some rusting blades.which i have not had that problem either and if i did I wouldn’t care because the blades are so cheap.as long as they stay available.thats my concern so i bought 3 extra sets last year at $7.99 a piece.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Sep 22, 2019, 02:39 PM »
No problems with my nero either.i havent seen any reports or reviews that are bad on the nero except for some rusting blades.which i have not had that problem either and if i did I wouldn’t care because the blades are so cheap.as long as they stay available.thats my concern so i bought 3 extra sets last year at $7.99 a piece.
Those 7" replacement blades are running $17.99/ pr. out of Reeds this year so you get the gold star for Mr. Thrifty Shopper. Import tariffs? I'd probably be more worried about HT Enterprises than about Volzhanka who makes those Neros in Russia. 
                                                               Stinky

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #116 on: Sep 22, 2019, 02:57 PM »
Those 7" replacement blades are running $17.99/ pr. out of Reeds this year so you get the gold star for Mr. Thrifty Shopper. Import tariffs? I'd probably be more worried about HT Enterprises than about Volzhanka who makes those Neros in Russia.
no Kittery Trading Post  had a sale late last winter and had them for 7.99 a set.of course i bought every set they had.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #117 on: Sep 22, 2019, 10:51 PM »
Seen the new strikemaster synthetic auger. Was only in a 6in. Looked ok, but nothing special.

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Sep 23, 2019, 10:18 AM »

I'm not familiar with the micro bait feeder style reels for dead sticking. Can someone give me some insight on these reels and how to use them?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #119 on: Sep 23, 2019, 10:57 AM »
I'm not familiar with the micro bait feeder style reels for dead sticking. Can someone give me some insight on these reels and how to use them?

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.