The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Manistee County Fishing Report  (Read 14428 times)

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
Manistee County Fishing Report
« on: Dec 28, 2010, 06:16 PM »
I'm new to the site, and thought I'd give my 2 cents on the fishing report in my area.  Portage Lake has good ice (up to 10 inches on east end, 5 on west).  Pike fishing has been O.K., with a few being taken by spear on the east end, and also a few taken by tip-up off of Andy's Point near the west end.  I have not seen, but have heard of the walleye starting to kick into gear, with a few being taken along the North Shore and dusk.  I went out last on Christmas Eve and took a bunch of small perch with my boy...but nothing over 7 inches.  

Fished Cheif Lake tonight with my 7yr. old boy and caught 9 pike and lost 3.  Cheif is a smaller lake (120 acr.) and has a ton of small pike.  None of the pike we caught were of legal size, but great fun for the boy.  Cheif has a solid 5-6 inches.  

If you get off the ice, the river fishing on the Manistee River is good right now.  A friend of mine took 5 nice browns and 4 steelhead yesterday from a driftboat.  

Tight lines all!  
rippin' lips one fish at a time 

Offline fishing101

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Manistee County Fishing Report
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2010, 06:38 PM »
Is Manistee Lake locked up yet? Is that a lake worth fishing in the winter?

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:08 PM »
Manistee Lake is frozen, but the ice is not safe near town (where the big river dumps into the lake).  If you are after pike, perch, crappie and some gills, the ice is more stable near Penny Park (along the east shore near East Lake) and around Seng's Marina.  Penny park is more for, pike...while Seng's is a mixed bag for the above mentioned species of fish.  Manistee Lake is a good ice fishing lake, and worth a trip.  You can get into some really great stealhead fishing from the ice (using tip-ups or jigging rods) when the ice does freeze solid on the main lake.  Every year there are multiple pike over 40 inches taken on tip-ups and speared from this lake as well.  Since 2 rivers do flow into the lake, you just have to be carefull and make sure the ice is stable before heading out. 

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2010, 11:30 AM »
Update 12/30/10
ARCADIA LAKE:  I have not fished there yet this year, but did hear from a very good source that fished there yesterday that a local did take a very nice mess of bluegills off of the slab docks.  He said the pike fishing was slow (only 2 flags in 3 hours) but the fish he did land was an 8 pounder.  He did say he helped a man and his boy pull out a 38incher from their hole.  Said it was a fatty, and close to 15 pounds.

LEMON LAKE:  This is a very small lake (30-40acrs.) and the ice there is sloppy on top, with only a good 4 inches below the slop.  This is great lake to visit, since there is not a house within a half mile.  Very quite and gives the feel of fishing in Canada.  Anyway, fished the lake yesterday and caught 14 nice gills and a few specks.  No monsters, but great for the pan.  First time there this year, and the lake has been producing steady for the past week or so. 

PORTAGE LAKE:  Talked to a few fisherman that I know well that were coming off the lake late this morning.  Only small perch reported, and very few pike.  Most of the consistant action has been in the second drop-off along the north shore for perch and keeper pike.  One man did say he saw a nice browntrout swim through his spearing hole. 

Tight lines all!
~waterwolf42~

Offline 200S

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2010, 01:49 PM »
Thanks for the report. Was debating on upper hamlin, or portage tomorrow morning.  Leaning towards Portage. Guy I know got skunked on Upper Hamilin this morning.

Offline zwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2010, 03:03 PM »
Thanks for the report.  Like hearing what's happening in Manistee county.  Let's us know if it is worth taking a ride up.  Keep the updates coming........

Offline lakeeffect

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2011, 02:06 PM »
Update 12/30/10
ARCADIA LAKE:  I have not fished there yet this year, but did hear from a very good source that fished there yesterday that a local did take a very nice mess of bluegills off of the slab docks.  He said the pike fishing was slow (only 2 flags in 3 hours) but the fish he did land was an 8 pounder.  He did say he helped a man and his boy pull out a 38incher from their hole.  Said it was a fatty, and close to 15 pounds.

LEMON LAKE:  This is a very small lake (30-40acrs.) and the ice there is sloppy on top, with only a good 4 inches below the slop.  This is great lake to visit, since there is not a house within a half mile.  Very quite and gives the feel of fishing in Canada.  Anyway, fished the lake yesterday and caught 14 nice gills and a few specks.  No monsters, but great for the pan.  First time there this year, and the lake has been producing steady for the past week or so. 

PORTAGE LAKE:  Talked to a few fisherman that I know well that were coming off the lake late this morning.  Only small perch reported, and very few pike.  Most of the consistant action has been in the second drop-off along the north shore for perch and keeper pike.  One man did say he saw a nice browntrout swim through his spearing hole. 

Tight lines all!
~waterwolf42~
  Thanks for the additional information. I have fished Arcadia several times and it has always been a hit and miss catch. I mostly go on Portage. I am planning to head that way this next week end. Keep a tight line and catch-em up, keep us posted Waterwolf42. :icefish:

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2011, 06:14 PM »
Update 1/2/10

Well, after the rain and thaw, many lakes were mush, and not much to report on.

LEMON LAKE:  On this past Thursday, my buddy and a friend of his did O.K. on this body of water.  They took 2 keeper pike (25 and 26 inches), a dozen gills and 3 crappies.  After the rain, the ice went downhill and is unsafe now.  Maybe after the week of cold it will get back to safe ice again.

CHEIF LAKE:  No safe ice at all.  Today, 2 hits on a spud and right through. 

MANISTEE LAKE:  Did not see a soul out fishing.  Lots of open water in town.....maybe I"ll get out my boat and try pitching some spawn for steelhead at the mouth if it stays warm.

PORTAGE LAKE:  Even after the warm up and the rain, still has 8 solid inches on the east end by town.  The west end must be bad ice, for no-one was out fishing there yesterday or today.  Most action is coming by way of pike fishing right now.  Most of the perch are running on the small side.  Still waiting for more info. on the walleye bite. 

BEAR LAKE:  Ice is O.K. after the rain.  No good reports yet.

Keep Warm and Tight Lines!!!
~WaterWolf42~

Offline taggedfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2011, 07:07 PM »
great reports!

Offline skunkmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:26 PM »
should bring a few hundred people up fishing. ;D

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2011, 01:50 PM »
Like to hope so. It's great to have someone report who dosen't think the the lakes are just for themseves, & understands there's plenty of room for everyone. The real truth is this thread won't bring 2 guys on all this ice at any time that hadn't planed the trip allready.

should bring a few hundred people up fishing. ;D
Bruster

Offline skunkmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2011, 02:02 PM »
Like to hope so. It's great to have someone report who dosen't think the the lakes are just for themseves, & understands there's plenty of room for everyone. The real truth is this thread won't bring 2 guys on all this ice at any time that hadn't planed the trip allready.

should bring a boost to the local economy as well.  We need more of that in this state.

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:16 PM »
Update 1/3/11

I know this is for Manistee County, but I got great info. today on Long Lake in Grand Traverse County.  Yesterday, a friend of mine caught 29 perch, all between 9 and 11 inches, along with 3 walleye.  The eyes were not huge, but nice at 3 to 4 pounds.  Just thought some of you might want to know. 

I've been busy building a spearing shack and plan to get out this weekend on Portage Lake, and will update about the other lakes in the area by this weekend. 

Tight Lines and Fish On!

~WaterWolf42~

Offline 5galbucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:40 PM »
appreciate the updates, waterwolf.  that's a nice day on long. :-)
Rule #1:  Never tell your story first.

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:07 PM »
1/7/11 Update

BEAR LAKE:  Fishing is decent during the day.  Small pike and average to small perch seem to be the norm.  Did see some nice crappie come in yesterday, but all were caught after dark.  Fishing for the specks were slow, but they were nice ones.  Some walleye are also being taken 1/8th mile out from the DNR ramp in the "hole".

CHEIF LAKE:  The ice is thin and sloppy with all the snow we are getting.  There is a good 4 inches but several inches of slop on the top with the snow.  The crappie fishing is picking up on this lake at dusk and after dark, but they are running small right now. 

PORTAGE LAKE:  Talked to my neighbor just a few hours ago.  Said he hit the perch pretty good in the morning and got a bucket full of eaters, but lots of small ones mixed in.  He said he had to work for them, and most of the fisherman were just getting small ones.  In order to get 25 keepers, he had to fish for a better part of 5 hours and moved around a lot.  Pike fishing is steady to say the least.  The walleye bite has not picked up yet, but the ones that are putting in their time along the north shore in 15 to 28 foot of water are getting one or 2 bites a night.   The ice on the lake is solid everywhere with 11 inches on the east end, 7 on the west end along the Lake Michigan shoreline.   

ARCADIA LAKE:  This has been totally hit or miss.  Either you time it right and get on some good crappie and gills, or nothing.  I have not heard of any consistant perch coming from here, but that could change any day. 

Offline hooknhorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:53 PM »
Thanks for the update, what time does the bait shop in Onekama open?

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:58 PM »
Thanks for the update, what time does the bait shop in Onekama open?

Andy's in Onekama opens at 7:00 A.M. He has a good variety of live bait and most everything you need.  Tell him John sent ya.

Offline hooknhorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2011, 07:03 PM »
Thanks.......Waterwolf, anyone ever fish those cut's off of Penney Park? Also, what depth off Penney for perch?

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2011, 07:12 PM »
Thanks.......Waterwolf, anyone ever fish those cut's off of Penney Park? Also, what depth off Penney for perch?

Well, Penny Park is located on Manistee Lake, not on Portage in Onekama (unless there is a park here I don't know about in the 33 years I have lived here).  Penny Park is a good spot to go on Manistee.  Lots of nice pike are taken there every year.  For pike, I would head south out of Penny Park toward a large blue pole barn located on shore.  Set up your tip ups there in 12 to 30 foot of water and have at it.

For the perch, most people fish for them out in the deep main lake channel, in 30 to 40 foot of water.  Also, Sengs Marina along the north shore in town is a good place to hit for perch, gills and crappie.  Just be carefull!  We are getting a ton of snow right now and I don't think the ice on Manistee is all that stable right now.  With the moving water from the rivers, just be sure to check it out first by calling one of the bait shops in Manistee first.  I have not heard of any fishing since last weeks warm up and rain, but I'm sure some are trying it.

Offline hooknhorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2011, 07:22 PM »
Yes, aware that penney is on manistee, never have fished the hardwater there and was curious. I'm in Irons and we have picked up a foot in the past 36 hours. Plan on hitting Portage in the morning, probably the northwest end. Thanks alot for the info, very helpful

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2011, 07:32 PM »
Yes, aware that penney is on manistee, never have fished the hardwater there and was curious. I'm in Irons and we have picked up a foot in the past 36 hours. Plan on hitting Portage in the morning, probably the northwest end. Thanks alot for the info, very helpful

Well, good luck!  I'm going to try to get out there in the afternoon.  Let me know how you did!

Offline 200S

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2011, 08:17 PM »
Good reports. Hitting Portage Sunday. Gonna be out all day chasing perch, then set up in my spot for some walleye just before dark.

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2011, 06:29 PM »
1/8/11 UPDATE

PORTAGE LAKE:  I was able to get out in the afternoon on Portage Lake, and the fishing was slow to say the least.  I was fishing for perch and pike.  No pike, but about 100 perch!!!!.....but nothing over 7 inches  >:(  I chatted with a few other fisherman coming off the ice, and they had the same story.  I did not move around much today, but if you were moving, I you might come up on a few keepers, but then had to move some more.  Talked to a few in the spearing shacks on the east end.  They were not seeing much, except for small perch.  One old timer had a nice 33 incher on the ice, but it came on a tip-up.  The most consistant action that I have heard of is coming from the North shore and also some action on the west end.  The north shore more for perch and an occasional walleye, while the west end is putting some perch up and is more consistant with pike on tip-ups.    There is also about a foot of fresh snow on the ice.  We need a good wind to drive some of it off of the lake. 

Offline lvwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2011, 02:49 AM »
Call ahead and get the latest info before heading to Manistee Lake.  Lake freighters are coming in delivering coal to the plant at the south end of the lake, so there can be open water and unsafe ice conditions at any time.....so be carefull.
NRA Life Member

Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2011, 07:27 PM »
1/10/11 UPDATE

LEMON LAKE:  Had a really reliable source inform me that there is about 5 good inches on ice on the lake.  After last weeks melt and rain, the ice was iffy, but has a good base now.  The fishing was not so great though.  He and his boy did manage to keep 8 perch, 4 gills and 3 crappies.  No pike on the tip-ups.  

BLACKSMITH BAYOU:  This is a small bayou off of the Manistee River.  Only about 15-20 acrs. in size and average of 4 feet deep, with a deep hole of about 7 feet off of the main "launch" down a steep hill.  I have heard that the panfishing has been running small, but the bite has been consistant.  Also the tip-up action for the pike has been consistant as well, but no real monsters to speak of yet.  

BEAR LAKE:  The perch fishing is O.K. from a local that fishes there often.  He is having his best luck near and after dark for crappies.  His main spot has been off of the DNR launch near Big Bay in the deeper water along the North Shore.  

MANISTEE LAKE:  I know there is still open water on the main lake.  If your looking to fish here, be sure to call one of the bait shops in town for info.  

PORTAGE LAKE:  Fishing this past weekend seemed to be slow for most.  I did not have much luck on the east end of the lake for pike or perch (but my 7 year old and 3 year old had a blast catching the dinky perch).  I was mainly after pike, but only managed 2 flags in 2 days.  I talked to another in a dark house and all he was seeing was small perch.  Talked to 2 others that were fishing the 20-25 foot water off the east end drop-off and they did manage some nicer perch, but really had to sort.  By this weekend, I will be putting my permanent shanty out on the water and taking it down to the west end of the lake (my fav. spot to fish).  Should get a better read on the fishing by then.

If any of you fish any of the local lakes, be sure to report on here!  I would like this thread to be ongoing to give info. to anyone that lives in the area, or to others that might want to travel up here to fish.  I know how it goes when traveling a distance to fish...you want to know where to go so your time will be worth while.  

Hope this information is helpful.

Stay warm, tight lines & FISH ON!

~WaterWolf42~

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2011, 04:53 PM »
Great report John, keep me filled in on that fish shanty.
Bruster

Offline 200S

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:20 PM »
Got out on Portage on Sunday, got a batch of keeper perch. Enough for dinner. no Walleye. Went out on Manistee tonight off 9th street. Marked some fish after dark. couple of bites no fish. Manistee has some ice. Not alot but enough in places. Been seeing guys over by penny park, might try over there tomorrow night.

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2011, 07:09 PM »
1/14/11 UPDATE

BEAR LAKE:  Talked to a great source today and he got into some nice walleye fishing and crappie fishing after dark off of Big Bay in the northwest corner of the lake.  There is a small group of shanty's out there, and right in the mix of them all the bite has been consistant.  The 'eyes are not huge by any means, but very good eating size.  He caught 4 last night, all after dark.

PORTAGE LAKE:  The perch are still running on the small side, so lots of sorting.  A very good source informed me that some nicer pike and some nice gills are comming in the 10 to 15 foot range off of the south shore by the bible camp.  The gills are hit or miss, but the pike are more of a consistant bite.  He took 2 real nice ones over 30 inches 2 days ago. 

Offline 200S

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2011, 12:08 PM »
Has anyone been out on Portage today. Was thinking about going out tomorrow, but the wind is pretty strong here is Manistee. Just wondering if anyone made it out. And is the wind clearing any of the snow off the lake?

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2011, 12:19 PM »
I'm going out there this afternoon and will let you know about the snow and wind.  I know that the wind is suppose to blow tomorrow as well, so I hope it does clear all of that snow off the lake.  With the cold temps we have been having, we should have a lot more ice out there then there is.  I was out on the west end of the lake yesterday, and there is 7 inches of good hard ice, but there should be a lot more.  There was about an inch of slush under the 8-10 inches of snow that is laying on the top.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.