New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Augers  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Mr.Sodus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks
Augers
« on: Sep 29, 2022, 06:24 AM »
Need some input here. I've had spoon augers, Mora's, junk gas augers, Lasers and now I want a propane.
So, my question: Jiffy or Eskimo? Is there a different/additional manufacturer out there? I know I want the 10". Just looking for some reviews on that type of ice chewer. Let's do this!
Thanks in advance!
Rick

Hey Charlie, the kid's got one on over here...

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Augers
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2022, 06:33 AM »
I have never used an Eskimo but have used my buddies 10” jiffy. Works great and never had a problem starting it even -14*.   But it’s heavy.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Mr.Sodus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2022, 06:42 AM »
Thanks! I just want the most reliable one.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2022, 07:37 AM »
If you are stuck on getting a propane dinosaur ...I recomend the Eskimo as ( I believe )they turn clockwise .. which means should later on if you wish to add a composite auger drill unit it will work/lighten the load .. Jiffy turns counter clock wise ...I dont believe there is a composite drill unit which turns counter clockwise ...I believe even Jiffy new ccompostie electric auger now turn clockwise so no help there. My only other concern is parts for propane augers ...should something need replacing could be hard to find . Also the Eskimo Propane Augers are going at a premium now ...would not be my first choice at all .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont wish your life away!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2022, 08:32 AM »
I have a Eskimo P1 auger for 4 seasons now. Runs great and drills fast! I have had no issues at all. Eskimo would be my choice for a propane for sure. The blades also hold up well,I redrill alot of old holes in my permanent shack with ease, still has original blades cut like new.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2022, 08:57 AM »
10" ion

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2022, 10:12 AM »
I've had a 10" Eskimo P1 for 5 years and it's been great and trouble free. As mentioned above, it cuts old holes no problem and I've gone thru 2 sets of blades in that time. Just sent them both out for sharpening this fall. It usually starts within a few pulls and I've used it down to -20C with no issues.
The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline Mr.Sodus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks
« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2022, 01:14 PM »
Thank you!

Offline hangemhigh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2022, 12:14 PM »
Still use a hand auger here .....but only after the ice gets too thick for me to spud. ;D ;D

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2022, 11:16 AM »
I replaced my gas auger last year with an option to use with my DeWalt 20v. Lighter, no fuel required, no spark plug, smaller overall. Love it, I'll never go back to a fuel-driven model. Fish 307 had a few options. I stopped at their shop on Saturday, they are currently closed, they are moving the shop to a new location.
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2022, 05:41 AM »
I’ve got the Jiffy 46xtreme and absolutely love it.2 years without any problems,and it cuts fast

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2022, 11:31 AM »
Have you called Jiffy and talked to one of their techs? They were always very helpful when I had a problem with a Jiffy auger. My present gas auger has a Honda engine on it which can be stored or used in any position so I don't have to worry about how I transport it or lay it down.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline parker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2022, 12:04 PM »
Had the Eskimo P1 for years till I went with a lightweight drill auger. Loved it and it drilled fast.
is there anything better than a day on the ice?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2022, 02:51 PM »
Pretty hard to find anyone who cares to help you out now days. One of the bait shops here had a bench outside with an auger mount. He would leave the auger outside until it was cold and then adjust the carb. He was another of my friends who died several years ago.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2022, 07:29 AM »
Own the eskimo P1 8” for about 5 or 6 years.  Excellent auger!  Always started up with one or two pulls from the first time on an outing and then one pull every other time to restart in the same day.  It’s done a fantastic job of cutting through the ice.  No gas/oil mixing.  One tank of propane would probably get me around 400 holes give or take thru 10” of ice.  No complaints whatsoever.  Since then, the last couple years I converted to electric hand drill setup which I love, much lighter and just as efficient.  Haven’t really used the propane much since.

Offline Mr.Sodus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks
« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2022, 08:06 AM »
Thank you guys! We pulled the trigger on a P1 today!
Look out fish, we're coming for you!

Offline TheWasp74

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2022, 03:18 PM »
Have had an 10 inch Eskimo HC-40 propane auger for a few years now and have had no complaints.

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 17, 2022, 01:57 PM »
I just put an order in for a NILS USA 6" hand auger.

Over in Finland (where they're made) and elsewhere in northern Eurpoe, they used to be marketed as "Rantanen UR" as I was growing up there. Rapala then bought the brand and factory, only to sell it a few years later. This morning, I received confirmation that NILS USA is brand name in the USA - and that these are indeed the Rantanen UR augers made at the Heinola factory.

The cutting crown are still hand made in a single-piece construction, rather than individual blades, and these cut through the ice like butter. They are extremely well constructed and durable. Over there, they're widely considered the best augers around.

I have used Mora from Sweden as well, and those are good, but in my experience they won't last as long as a Rantanen/NILS. And yes, I'm an old guy ;)
Luck is only a small part of it.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2022, 06:16 PM »
My drill set up I mentioned before that I use is the 6” nils.  I’ve tried many different augers, gas, propane, ion and without a doubt the nils is the best you can get.  The fastest and smoothest auger I ever used.  Cuts ice like butter in no time at all.  Even impressive doing it by hand.  Have the dewalt 991 attached to it, awesome setup.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2022, 06:30 PM »
I have a Jiffy Pro4 and love that auger.  It's heavy but it always starts and runs great.  Between the 10" Jiffy and my drill setup with a Clamplate and E Drill bit, I love them both.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline grubberfishhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Adirondack Icefishing Adventures
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2022, 04:49 AM »
propane augers are obsolete unless it is the end of the world no more batteries are being made and there is no electricity to charge them. Get an electric auger with curved blades and synthetic bit. options are strike master lite flite and razr synthetic. Good luck out there I am sure propane augers will be the apocalyptic first choice.
knowledge-"don't hide it divide it"

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2022, 02:56 PM »
propane augers are obsolete unless it is the end of the world no more batteries are being made and there is no electricity to charge them. Get an electric auger with curved blades and synthetic bit. options are strike master lite flite and razr synthetic. Good luck out there I am sure propane augers will be the apocalyptic first choice.
You know what gas and propane augers do better. Cut when it’s bitter cold.

Last year -15*ish12-14” ice my lithium battery was barely making it thru a single hole. And no I don’t lean on it heavy neither
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2022, 06:52 PM »
You know what gas and propane augers do better. Cut when it’s bitter cold.

Last year -15*ish12-14” ice my lithium battery was barely making it thru a single hole. And no I don’t lean on it heavy neither
I agree, got and electric setup which I do love but propane and gas are more of a sure bet when it gets that cold.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2022, 03:08 PM »
i  got the strikemaster honda lite about  8 years ago  ... great auger and the   crank case is  in a  bladder  so you can n lay it  down anyway you want and  it still  doesn't leak oil into the  carb....

another thing i found with ice augers and weed eaters don't mess around go  on the internet and get a replacement carb  for the money have one in your tool box with the gas now days your going to have issues sooner or later  after market carb cost  me  15 bucks    5 minutes  it was on the  auger  and running  no adjustments

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2022, 03:53 PM »
Like Trapp, I also have a strike master of the same year or so   It works fine, starts easy and is dependable however I have gone electric for the past 3 seasons and I'm not looking back. I have absolutely no issues with the cold and can drill at least 40 holes thru 10-12  "  before even sensing any slowdown. I don't kill the battery on the drill I just change it if I need to.  And changing a battery is much easier than filling a gas tank after mixing oil carrying that smelly gas can.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Dec 10, 2022, 04:11 PM »
no mixing  oil  on mine  but i'm thinking the  drill may  be the  best option  lots of times

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.