Author Topic: Jigs for perch  (Read 8134 times)

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
Jigs for perch
« on: Nov 14, 2003, 09:30 PM »
I am relatively new to ice fishing.  I have only been at it for four seasons.  What are the best jigs for perch?  Are there any colors that are better than others generally?  Thanks ahead of time.
t'pup!

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
Re:Jigs for perch
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2003, 10:22 PM »
Perch aren't all that picky...I think color has more to do with it than jig design.  I just buy the regular round head jigs from Cabelas in bulk and paint em' myself.  White, glo, fl. yellow and orange seem to always work for me.

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2003, 03:07 AM »
Small swedish pimple w/small strip of shiner flesh attached or visit your local fly shop and pick up some beadheaded nymphs or small wooly worms.Crappie Attitude is correct that perch are not that finicky - just get in the right location and get your offering in their field of vision.

Good Luck - Good Fishing
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2003, 11:30 AM »
ive always used teardrops in various colors and sizes.  firetger usually works really well tipped with a wiggler, spike, moussie or waxworm.  experiment with everything to find out what they want.  when they turn off to what youre using, try switching to another contrasting color, like black, or just something different.  ive found that when you change colors often, it seems to pique there curiosity, and theyll come in for a closer look.  ive even switched to a 1/4 oz kastmater in blue and silver after they turned off to my teardrops and caught a 13 inch jumbo perch my largest perch ever when i was about to give up. sometimes you have to throw everything at them, especially when they are in a negative mood.  experiment good luck
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Ice_Dog

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2003, 11:37 AM »
I use mostly a bright yellow or green small jig (bibbets) on dark days, and if it is sunny outside then I use a darker colored jig. I found on those days purple or dark blue seem to work good.

Ice_Dog

« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2003, 11:48 AM »
Go to your local sporting goods shop and ask for bibbets or perch jigs. They will know what will work best for Perch in your region.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2003, 12:54 PM »
I hate to repeat but Custom Jigs and Spins make some fine jigs that work great for perch.

I like to jig a Chartreuse, Custom Jigs and Spins Demon wipped with a waxie. I also deadstick a Demon with a live minnow.

Smaller swedish pimples and other jigging spoons work good. Tipped with a minnow head.

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2003, 09:09 AM »
#10 demon in Lime Chartreuse/Glow Brite tipped with a wiggler, spike or maggot...Ratfinkee's work great too. If you want big perch tip it with a small minnow and deadstick it.

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2003, 09:56 PM »
thanks for the tips guys.
t'pup!

Minim

« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2003, 09:39 PM »
I use a an ordinary little jig head with a perch eye on it.  Works great.

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2003, 08:18 PM »
 I've had pretty good luck with a teardrop/charteuse moon jig, tipped w/a couple waxies.
TEAM  PA.

camo_fish

« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2003, 09:11 PM »
any small jig, char., green, red, pimps with a little fathead or mousie. 1/16 or 1/32 yellow, green tear drop with mousie, it's something about the mousie tails that they like.

fish_hooked

« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2003, 07:43 PM »
My favorite is the marmooska jig head tipped with waxworm.  Chartreuse/green and Chartreuse/orange.  Works good for all fish.

grumpymoe

« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2003, 10:46 AM »
1/32 jigs always--on bright days and clear water dark colors only--murky waters and darker days i prefer bright colors of any kind work great :'( :'(

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2003, 11:12 AM »
my most productent jig would be a simple tear drop with a minnow or a couple waxies. lindylittlejoe glow fat boys tiped with the same as the tear drop i usually don't pay attention on the colour. ask the locals what they use and experement.

FORGET MILK.......GOT ICE?

flaggggg

« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2003, 11:34 AM »
when it comes to color I've found there's no way to predict just to be prepared.Sometimes I don't always have the right color because maybe I got snagged or something but I found that a guys best friend could be could be his wife with out her even knowin.My wife always does her nails and puts them in of all things "ice water" she told me it sets the color quicker!You won't catch me on the ice without Mabeline so when they're hitting on a color you don't have bait it, paint it, and jig it.The paint sets immediately just don't let her catch ya it may be a hard one to explain.  :P

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2003, 04:21 PM »
True  Story: Hate to tell ya guys... but when i run out of bait i've caught a dozen good sized perch on a blade of grass. YES A BLADE OF GRASS! :P (Sometimes i queston why i even try!) ;D

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2003, 04:35 PM »
i was out fishin one day and i to ran out of bait so i used and this is tru a piece of string off the bottom of my pants! shows that despret times call for despret measures.

FORGET MILK.......GOT ICE?

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2003, 05:04 PM »
I like to use a Hali jig with one or two spike's.

Offline Jocko

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Eyes Giant Eyes!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2003, 08:31 PM »
Its hard to beat a swedish pimple with a whole minnow.  Keeps those little ones off and the action seems to bring in the bigger fish.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2003, 06:51 AM »
The best jig and color are the one the fishies want!  When I am starting cold (no pun intended) on a lake I start with big steel, 1/4 oz spoon with a minnow head and work my way down to the smallist Catty Jig in the box with one mousie on it.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.