Author Topic: Perch Searchin'  (Read 5625 times)

Jam_Jam

Perch Searchin'
« on: Jan 20, 2003, 12:24 PM »
Could anyone tell me what their approach would be to finding perch in a fairly large reservoir without alot of structure.  Keep in mind this is a body of water I know little about although I'm trying to find a hydrographic map for it.  What depth would you target these fish in this time of year? The deepest holes?(...the max. depth of this Res. is probably 40-50').  what order of lures/bait would you try?   I plan on moving lots until I find something but how long would you give it before moving?  5 mins or 30 or.....  Any other info. for a perch newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
Re: Perch Searchin'
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2003, 01:00 PM »
Generally Perch avoid steep dropoffs. I look for perch in flat areas, with weeds, although some people prefer areas devoid of weeds. the depth perch hold varies from lake to lake, so an exact number is hard to say. I avoid rocky bottom areas, try to focus on silty to soft bottom. Flash lures like spoons, tipped with bait can be good search lures. The flash will attract them, the bait will entice them to strike. Dont be afraid to jig aggresively! Sometimes this is the only thing that will trigger them to bite! Other times you have to dabble (very subtle jigging) a lure/bait combo, sometimes pounding will work too, you have to experiment. Some of my top Perch producers are Swedish Pimples, Nils Master Hali, or a perch eye jig, or Demon/Frostee style jig tipped with some form of bait such as piece of minnow ,maggot waxworms, and even mealworms. Usally at early ice I find perch towards the back of bays, as the season progress I target main lake point areas.

kjay

« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2003, 01:13 PM »
I agree with FishDeepCreek, but try and talk to the other anglers who are on the ice. The place i fish for perch is a man made reservoir, and seem to have good luck where there are trees about 5 feet from the tree and drill holes. Also have had good luck where there is an under water current. Fish seem to hold waiting to ambush and attack food near the current. But basically fish the lake get to know it. Also good way is to fish it during the  late summer and fall. The fish will be somewhere around the area they were during that time, also gives you some idea as to what you may find which is different in a flat bottom or little to no structure lake, like the one i do, look for something different on the bottom usually will produce fish.

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2003, 04:45 AM »
Good Advise FishDeepCreek, also inside turns narrows and any humps no matter how big are fish magnets

Jam_Jam

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2003, 06:08 AM »
Thanks guys.  I think I'll try a swedish pimple with a little dropper line to the hook...maybe jig one line and keep one stationary.  I plan on moving areas every half hour or so until I find some fish...I'd ask others for info but I know very few people fish perch at this lake.  I'll throw the book at them and see what I get.    

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2003, 04:15 AM »
Experiment- move,experiment- move,experiment- move.Try anything and everything.Sometimes doing nothing is best, a dead stick and lively minnow may work......

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2003, 04:53 AM »
I agree with skulldugary. Last week I picked up some slobs by dead sticking a Pimple with a minnow head right on bottom. They would suck it in and just sit there with it in their mouth. The only indication was a "tick" in the line or a sense of dead weight on the line. Don't be afraid to experiment!!!
Winners don't know they're in a race.

They just like to run.

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2003, 05:29 AM »
PackerBacker,I love those small Swidish Pimples with a drpper line and minnow head.Have you ever tried tapping the Pimple on the bottom,then jigging and then dead sticking.I think all of the commotion of tapping brings them in.I fished Lake Erie for 30 years and there is a lot of ways to fish THE PIMPLE...Good luck guy's

Offline buck4dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is life the rest is just details
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2003, 11:27 AM »
use a rapala jig blue/silver the smallest one they make.
I have filled my limit (of 50 fish here in vt) in less than
an hour using this little baby.After I catch one fish I use they eyes for scent.if there are perch there I guarantee this will do the trick. :'( good fishin

clysdale

« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2003, 04:59 PM »
Very popular here in saskatchewan I found was the hawger spoon, use live maggots untill you get one then put on the eye ball and the fish go crazy over that stink. A really easy way to get the eye ball out is by pushing with your thumb down and under the eye it pops right out with out breaking.

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2003, 12:21 PM »
A GOOD WAY TO FIND PERCH ON YOUR LAKE.  IS TO LOOK FOR ANOTHER PEOPLE FISHING FOR PERCH. MOST  PERCH FISHERMAN WILL HELP YOU OUT ALITTLE .  GOOD LUCK
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2003, 03:48 PM »
Don't forget transistion areas, especially rock into mud/silt.
This time of year I roam the mudflats with wigglers and tip-ups til I find them. Some one said they don;t care for rocky bottoms,I totally disagree as both my 14's today came out of24' over a huge rock bar/flat. Early season to mid this is a good area. Mid to late the mudflats come alive and it's go time. Persistence ,get out there for a week straight and get on em'. Goodluck!

JT
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.