The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Lansing Hardwater  (Read 62583 times)

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lansing Hardwater
« Reply #300 on: Jan 07, 2018, 05:34 PM »
I went to Interstate for a couple hours between about 2:45PM - 4:45PM.    I tried about 12 holes and never saw a fish.  I talked to 3 other guys out there, who had been fishing for a while.  Each of them had caught 3 fish..:(   On the bright side, I did get to use my new drill auger a bit.  I punched about 12 holes, and the 3 guys I talked to all wanted to try it out also.  I think it did maybe 20-25 5" holes.  It still had 3 of 4 bars left on a small 2.0 Ah battery.  After not ice fishing for so long, and all this new gear I have, it was more of a test run.  I learned:

I forgot to bring a light.  I will try using my little LED camping lights.  I've still got a Coleman propane, but I think LED will be fine.  3 LED lights using rechargeable batteries will weight less than the Coleman propane.  Not use propane, and no broken mantles to deal with, and I won't need to light it.
It's not that cold outside..(I didn't even put my gloves on). 
I need to bungee my 5 gallon pails to the top of my DX3000 shanty with ski kit, or they will fall over and piss me off when I hit bumps with it. 
My Garmin Striker 4 is a good toy.  I can watch my tiny jigs bounce on the screen in both sonar and flasher modes.
My 58yo mistreated body can still haul a shanty on skis a long ways and not get out of breath.  40 years of Marlboro reds, but lungs cleaned up after vaping for 3 years:)

I hope you guys had better luck than me.  I'll go out again Tuesday evening.  Not sure where.  I'm stuck taking my kids to martial arts lessons (Taekwondo & Jiu Jitsu) Mon, Wed, and Thurs, so Tuesday I can sneak in a fishing night.
-  Joe

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #301 on: Jan 10, 2018, 05:36 PM »
  I went by Jones lake tonight two guys and a flip shanty on the ice. The last I knew no fishing was allowed after the drunk bass fisherman landed face down and drown. Biggest pike I ever seen went under shanty. The shanty was 4 X 4 the pikes head was past one hole tail wasn't past the  other. 
Retired Great Lakes Charter Captain now want to learn Ice Fishing

Offline iceman J

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #302 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:38 PM »
Anyone been out since the warm spell  just wondering how the ice held up any info appreciated  thanks and tight lines to all

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #303 on: Jan 16, 2018, 12:25 PM »
Same question anybody fishing around Lansing lately?

Offline Lil bluegill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #304 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:53 PM »
Went and fished mudrat for a few hrs today. Ice was good 8 inches, fishing sucked couple dinks. Mainly was just curious about ice and it appears better than before

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #305 on: Jan 17, 2018, 07:41 AM »
Thanks for report

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #306 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:22 AM »
Question: has anyone fished the Midwest Open Ice Fishing Tournament before? I checked out the sponsor link, and couldn't find any details on how to sign up / qualify for the tournament.  Just curious. 

Offline JigginPollock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #307 on: Jan 17, 2018, 09:55 AM »
With Gander being gone I'm at a loss for the best place in town to buy ice fishing gear. Looking for a couple ML action Walleye combos and some jigs. Dunhams, Dicks, Total Firearms? Heading to the Bay Saturday and now that a couple of my boys want to go I need a couple more setups. Thanks...

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #308 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:34 AM »
Dick's at East Town is picked over. Haven't been to Dunham's in Frandor, their selection has been limited in the past.  Total Firearms did not have ice fishing gear out last time I was there.....just before Christmas....... so I don't know what they have or had.  My go to, now that Gander is closed, is Jay's in Clare or even better than Jay's is Northwoods in Pinconning. Way bigger selection and way better prices. And  its on Saginaw bay too. Only draw back is distance away from Lansing.  Good luck on your search for gear.

Offline JigginPollock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #309 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:55 AM »
I just checked and Franks in Linwood opens at 5:30 am Saturdays so I will probably just hit them up for bait and grab what I need. Thanks for the help!

Offline Lil bluegill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #310 on: Jan 17, 2018, 12:33 PM »
Just got checked by the dnr for my first time out on the ice. Good to see them out, and hopefully keep more people from trashing the ice.

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #311 on: Jan 17, 2018, 01:20 PM »
Just an FYI..... I forgot to mention....Northwoods opens at 6, they sell bait also. Think they are 10-15 minutes north of Frank's. Can't go wrong at Frank's either. Good luck out there, Guv us a fishing report.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #312 on: Jan 17, 2018, 02:14 PM »
Question: has anyone fished the Midwest Open Ice Fishing Tournament before? I checked out the sponsor link, and couldn't find any details on how to sign up / qualify for the tournament.  Just curious.

Tom Knutson explained it's a raffle system to me when I spoke to him in person about this.
If you want more information call Tom @ 1-800-292-0857. This is their store number. Tom may or may not be available for calls when you call in.

Great store to shop if you can stop in! It's where I bought my FX100I and runners for it. And 4000 spikes.

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #313 on: Jan 17, 2018, 02:18 PM »
Heading to Morrison Saturday afternoon...anyone else have plans?
"All men have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory" motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece.

Offline Lil bluegill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #314 on: Jan 17, 2018, 02:31 PM »
Wish I could I'll be at work. Have heard some good reports of panfish out there though

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #315 on: Jan 17, 2018, 02:45 PM »
I went to Morrison on Sunday and Interstate yesterday. Same story both places. Marked fish, they'd come in and look, but seldom bite. Using spikes, mousies and plastic. Didn't catch enough to bring anything home. On Interstate caught four of those 12" bass that are usually such a nuisance. But when not catching anything else they're not so bad.

Offline spartannation

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #316 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:37 PM »
How's the ice on Morrison? Are they getting to the east end? I usually avoid it because of the crowds and limited parking but might make an afternoon trip for specks next week.

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #317 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:14 AM »
I didn't see anybody on the east end, but I didn't go far enough that way to get a good view. I've often thought I should go out there, but never have. Ice is fine where I was, about 7", probably more now.

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #318 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:17 PM »
Keep your eyes open, guys. They have found pieces of the meteor that fell on Michigan last Tuesday on a lake south of Howell. http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2018/01/its_official_meteor_becomes_me.html
If you come across any black rocks lying on the ice, it would be helpful to contact those who are interested. I saw at the news conference given by Todd Slisher that somebody is offering a reward of I think it was $20,000, but that would be for something the size of a softball. Most pieces of the meteorite are much smaller. Anyway, just a heads up. Who spends more time on frozen lakes than we do?

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #319 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:28 PM »
It was a great day to be on the ice, even though the bite was really slow. Lots of lookers that just would not bite. But we managed to bring home enough for a meal. 18 fow with spikes, mousies, and plastic. Maybe the plastic was best because there was a short stretch where I just couldn't keep my line in the water. I've given up trying to figure out what these fish are doing. Just enjoy it.

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #320 on: Jan 21, 2018, 12:55 PM »
When I left Morrison last night there was a good 10" of clear ice. Some guys did hit the east end.

We were in 17 fow...can anyone tell me where weeds are at? We hand a silt bottom.

I Caught 12 in 3 hours kept 8. Dad caught 8 kept 0.
"All men have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory" motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece.

Offline spartannation

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #321 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:19 AM »
Not many weeds unless you're west of the island or in shallow water

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #322 on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:50 PM »
  Thanks for the updates I'm going to Sparrow hospital tomorrow for a back injection to walk again. Hopefully by the weekend I'll get out for my first trip of the year.

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #323 on: Jan 25, 2018, 07:44 PM »
Was on a lake in Waterloo SRA today. Got 13 perch, a lot of them small but some close to 9". I didn't know what to expect with the ice after the heavy rain and then a couple nights in the 20s. Nice surprise. 9" of hard clear ice, the kind you can see how thick it is by the fine cracks. The next couple days of temps in the 40s are not going to damage this kind of ice. Starting Sunday it looks like we're in for a stretch of nice cold weather. Bring it on!

Offline Lil bluegill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #324 on: Jan 27, 2018, 08:29 AM »
Anyone gonna make it out today or already out?

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #325 on: Jan 30, 2018, 02:56 PM »
Any word on the shore ice or ice in general on Morrison lake? Think of going there Thursday morning. 

Thanks.

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #326 on: Jan 30, 2018, 06:35 PM »
I'm guessing ice would be fine on Morrison Thursday. Almost went there today, but went to Interstate instead. A CO came by (nice guy) and I asked about Morrison, but he hadn't been there today. On Interstate 3" of fluffy snow on top of 8" of hard slippery ice. No slush, except right near shore. I got a few small bass and gills, but nothing to take home. Wish I'd gone to Morrison. Would love to hear what you find if you go.

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #327 on: Feb 04, 2018, 02:53 AM »
I'm going to go to Saubee tomorrow.  I'm at jnorton_13  at yhoo.  It looks like the next 10 days are all ice makers.  This should be a good year for ice fishing! :)
- Joe

Offline bmyrkle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #328 on: Feb 05, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Hit up several small private ponds over the weekend, bite was pretty slow on most, but there was 7-10 inches of good hard ice under 1-2 inches of snow everywhere I went. This was all in Eaton Co.
"I get asked, 'what's your favorite fish to catch?' Well, it's red lines on my Vexilar. I don't care what's down there. I just want to go out and catch something." -- Dave Genz

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #329 on: Feb 11, 2018, 07:43 PM »
I haven't been out since the snow, but talked to somebody who was on Lake Lansing this morning. It seems they were catching a few crappies, but lots of slush and water. I might try Sessions tomorrow, mainly since I haven't been there yet this year. How are lakes around here looking for slush? I expect the ice is okay, but who knows?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.