The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Lansing Hardwater  (Read 62807 times)

Offline compli123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish whispering since 1962
Re: Lansing Hardwater
« Reply #240 on: Dec 11, 2017, 01:51 PM »
Crego is 2/3 open but the good news is that the 3" of snow round here is lying like slush on the top of the water so maybe the snow helped to give tonight's dipping temp something to latch onto and freeze. Looking forward to what you find out Redbeard!
I like to sit around on the ice doing nothing because my wife won't let me do it at home.

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #241 on: Dec 11, 2017, 02:50 PM »
Alright fellas! Here's the skinny on what I found today. Good news and bad news. The lakes/ponds that were already locked up before the snow have about 3/4" of clear and 1/4" of crap with only about an inch of snow on top. Not too bad. The lakes/ponds that are open/half open got nice and cooled down by the snow that fell. I personally will be on the ice (if not tomorrow) by thursday for sure. Here's a list from start to finish of the places I checked today.

Sharp Park Pond (behind lansing mall) - fully locked up about 1" of clear, with crap on top and snow.
Dell Road - Completely open
Hawk island - Completely Open
Crego - 2/3 locked up, about about 3/4" with crap and snow on top. (ill be hitting crego first on wednesday/thursday)
*decided to travel a little north on a whim*
Reed Park - (in Ithaca) About 1" of clear with crap and snow on top (my second spot ill be heading to)
Motz Park - (little clinton) about 1" of clear with crap and snow on top (my third spot ill be hitting)

Tomorrow I'll be checking Burchfield Pond, Interstate and MAYBE Lake Aliance.

I am crazy and am willing to tip toe my 170 lb butt out there on 2-3 inches. Do not take my ice reports as an advocate to go out there. If you do decide to head out, let a friend or two know where you're going, what time you'll be on and off, bring a spud bar and picks, and maybe a cute little pool noodle to bury the hatchet! Even with the little warm spell this weekend, I think we're in for a slightly earlier than usual ice season. Keep your fingers crossed and your butt puckered for us crazyguys! I'll keep everyone posted!!!
I知 a psycho and will sleep in the parking lot so I can get out on the ice before you.

Offline Icer for life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #242 on: Dec 11, 2017, 03:13 PM »
Well done, thanks for all the effort - very much appreciated!

Offline compli123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #243 on: Dec 11, 2017, 07:35 PM »
Alright fellas! Here's the skinny on what I found today. Good news and bad news. The lakes/ponds that were already locked up before the snow have about 3/4" of clear and 1/4" of crap with only about an inch of snow on top. Not too bad. The lakes/ponds that are open/half open got nice and cooled down by the snow that fell. I personally will be on the ice (if not tomorrow) by thursday for sure. Here's a list from start to finish of the places I checked today.

Sharp Park Pond (behind lansing mall) - fully locked up about 1" of clear, with crap on top and snow.
Dell Road - Completely open
Hawk island - Completely Open
Crego - 2/3 locked up, about about 3/4" with crap and snow on top. (ill be hitting crego first on wednesday/thursday)
*decided to travel a little north on a whim*
Reed Park - (in Ithaca) About 1" of clear with crap and snow on top (my second spot ill be heading to)
Motz Park - (little clinton) about 1" of clear with crap and snow on top (my third spot ill be hitting)

Tomorrow I'll be checking Burchfield Pond, Interstate and MAYBE Lake Aliance.

I am crazy and am willing to tip toe my 170 lb butt out there on 2-3 inches. Do not take my ice reports as an advocate to go out there. If you do decide to head out, let a friend or two know where you're going, what time you'll be on and off, bring a spud bar and picks, and maybe a cute little pool noodle to bury the hatchet! Even with the little warm spell this weekend, I think we're in for a slightly earlier than usual ice season. Keep your fingers crossed and your butt puckered for us crazyguys! I'll keep everyone posted!!!
. PM me and I'll bring a rope. Seriously.
I like to sit around on the ice doing nothing because my wife won't let me do it at home.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #244 on: Dec 12, 2017, 07:11 AM »
i used to drive past lake interstate all the time never stopped to fish it. 
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #245 on: Dec 12, 2017, 11:28 AM »
i used to drive past lake interstate all the time never stopped to fish it.

It's not the best fishing around. But it's nice if you live 10 minutes away like I do. It's kind of my "I'm bored and want to icefish for an hour or so" lake. You can get on some goodnsized gills if you can find em. Lots of stunted bass that are fun to catch on light ice gear. And have also seen a confirmed photo of a pike caught out of there. I don't believe those were ever stocked. Who knows how it could have made its way in there but that'd be sweet if a small pike population started to grow in there.
I知 a psycho and will sleep in the parking lot so I can get out on the ice before you.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #246 on: Dec 12, 2017, 02:13 PM »
you should head up to oakland county if you want some good early pike action  theyre all over the place
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #247 on: Dec 12, 2017, 03:16 PM »

Checked out Park Lake. Sure enough, that might be the first area I hit on Thursday. Happens every year. It gets iced before anywhere else and I would like to believe it has to do with the low oxygen levels in the lake. About 1 1/2" of clear and about another 1" of crap with some slush and snow on top.  It good enough yet though.

Offline compli123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #248 on: Dec 12, 2017, 04:30 PM »
Thanks Redbeard! By tomorrow, we'll be getting all kinds of reports.

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #249 on: Dec 13, 2017, 09:42 PM »
Hate to play devils advocate, but this snow really screwed us again this year guys. Might take about another week or so. Ive found a few spots here and there with an okay thickness, but its pretty much all honecomb slushy crap ice. And now since we got dumped on its going to take even longer. Im gonna check a couple spots tomorrow. I'll keep ya posted.

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #250 on: Dec 14, 2017, 03:34 PM »

I spoke too soon.

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #251 on: Dec 14, 2017, 04:41 PM »
Nice gill! How thick was the ice?

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #252 on: Dec 14, 2017, 05:32 PM »
Nice gill! How thick was the ice?

It was crappy sheet ice about 3" but very spotty. Snow somehow froze on top of it. 3" here but one spud wack a foot to the left or right. I was only out there for an hour or so. The fuse on my flasher blew otherwise I would probably still be out.

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #253 on: Dec 15, 2017, 09:43 AM »
I'm new to the forum. I found it last year and found it useful. I want to thank everyone in the Lansing hard water for their information and posts. Since I'm from Lansing, I hope to add to the information and posts when I have some information to share.  The lake's that I primarily fish, are Morrison, Chemung (been several years since I've fished it) Lake Odessa. Like most people,  I will fish alone if I have too,  but prefer to fish with another person. So if any one wants a fishing partner hit me up and see if I'm available.  I currently work three days a week so I have some weekday and weekend availability to fish. Question: any recommendations for a cordless drill to use with my 5" lazer auger? Thanks again to everyone on Lansing hard water. Wingfan87

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #254 on: Dec 17, 2017, 01:53 PM »
Question: any recommendations for a cordless drill to use with my 5" lazer auger?

I went overkill and bought a Ridgid 18V hammer drill with 5? batteries.  If I had it to do over again, I'd go cheaper and get less batteries. What you really need is at least 500 ft/pounds of torque.  And having a hammer drill with the handle on the side is nice.  If you search Home Depot for R86116K/206596560  you'll find a 700 ft/pound brushless hammer drill with 2 smaller batteries for $159.  It is Ridgid, so it includes a lifetime warranty on the batteries.  With a 5' auger you'll get 40-50 holes out of the 2 included small batteries.   You can also return it within 90 days if it doesn't work out for you.  If you want to try one out sometime with your 5" lazer let me know.  I've got what it takes to hook it up to my Ridgid.
- Joe

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #255 on: Dec 17, 2017, 01:56 PM »
U want the bigger batteries in almost any scenario

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #256 on: Dec 17, 2017, 05:05 PM »
  It really depends on the size of the holes.  A 5" auger drills a 19 square inch area hole.  A 7" hole is 38 square inches, so he'll only need half as much battery using his 5" Lazer, as he would with a 7" Lazer.
  I'm using one of these adapters on my Lazer:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ice-Auger-Adapter-for-Strikemaster-Lazer-Mora-Bass-Pro-Cordless-Drill-Ice-Fish/171012166302?hash=item27d11e929e:g:1B8AAOSwZVlXs0x- 
  They ship from St. Clair Michigan, so it doesn't take long.   

- Joe

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #257 on: Dec 18, 2017, 03:41 PM »
Thanks for info on the cordless drill. I'll check out Home Depot when I get back from deer hunting in northern Michigan, near Burt Lake. In case any one is interested, Burt lake appears to be completely iced over. Somebody went about 125-150 yards and fished. Couldn't tell you how thick the ice is as I didn't have any ice fishing gear with me. But it held my 200#'s jumping up and down 15 yards from shore. Not very scientific or accurate on ice thickness, but it held me and didn't buckle. Thanks again.

Offline Taco

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Givem the beans!
« Reply #258 on: Dec 19, 2017, 01:35 PM »
Does anyone know what the deal with the lake behind soccer zone is?

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #259 on: Dec 20, 2017, 05:55 PM »
Went to Dick's in Lansing today. I see why there called Dicks. Not only didn't they have anything but also didn't have anybody who knew anything. Anybody know where I can get light weight braid spooled?
Retired Great Lakes Charter Captain now want to learn Ice Fishing

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #260 on: Dec 21, 2017, 09:14 AM »
Late next week, or next weekend is starting to look great.
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/mi/lansing/48911

-Joe

Offline racechasin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #261 on: Dec 21, 2017, 09:43 AM »
Was checking lake ovid 4 inches half way to island from boat launch . I will back tonight trying my new toy,s

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #262 on: Dec 24, 2017, 04:35 PM »
 I'm going to go to Crego tomorrow around noon.  Then maybe to Muskrat or Ovid.  I want to catch enough to stink up a frying pan.  I really do want to play with the drill auger, and the Garmin fish finder I bought last winter, but barely got to use.  The Garmin worked great on my boat this summer.  I switched it over to Ice setup, but haven't been able to find it's split screen normal/flasher mode again.  Time to go search YouTube.  I know it does both at once, and it looks nice.  The PX Store on Logan, and S. Penn Meijers both have Waxies.  I got 9 dozen..:)
- Joe  5 Oh 5 twenty 25

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #263 on: Dec 25, 2017, 06:32 AM »
Merry Christmas Lansing hard water!!! Three days of temps in the teen's for Christmas, to firm up, and make ice before the new year.  ;D
New ice fishing bibs from sportsman guide for Christmas. Unfortunately, I work till the new year. Will definitely be putting them to use as soon as I can.  :)

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #264 on: Dec 25, 2017, 08:38 PM »
Does anyone know what the deal with the lake behind soccer zone is?

Google earthed it. I have a friend that plays soccer there regularly. Ill investigate!

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #265 on: Dec 25, 2017, 08:39 PM »
Went to Dick's in Lansing today. I see why there called Dicks. Not only didn't they have anything but also didn't have anybody who knew anything. Anybody know where I can get light weight braid spooled?

Out of all the places to go to for outdoors recreational equipment, you chose DICKS. lol just poking fun. As much as people hated Gander, at least they weren't DICKS.

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #266 on: Dec 25, 2017, 08:41 PM »
Was checking lake ovid 4 inches half way to island from boat launch . I will back tonight trying my new toy,s

Shallow weedy lake, easy freeze for sure. Too bad there's close to nothing in that lake except for the occasional dink crappie/gill and the Super Sized bass hiding out in the thickest millfoil lansing hardwater has to offer!!! Thank you for the report man! :)

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #267 on: Dec 25, 2017, 08:43 PM »
I'm going to go to Crego tomorrow around noon.  Then maybe to Muskrat or Ovid.  I want to catch enough to stink up a frying pan.  I really do want to play with the drill auger, and the Garmin fish finder I bought last winter, but barely got to use.  The Garmin worked great on my boat this summer.  I switched it over to Ice setup, but haven't been able to find it's split screen normal/flasher mode again.  Time to go search YouTube.  I know it does both at once, and it looks nice.  The PX Store on Logan, and S. Penn Meijers both have Waxies.  I got 9 dozen..:)
- Joe  5 Oh 5 twenty 25

I got on Crego last week. Sketchy stuff!. Hopefully the the base layer didnt shrink too much. im headed there and Park tomorrow.

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #268 on: Dec 25, 2017, 08:44 PM »
One step forward two steps back again fellas!!! This is what 4 years in a row now the snow screwed us?! But, i think we're getting there. Id still say this year looks better than last. I'll be hitting a few spots tomorrow. I'll make sure to report back on the post snow fall ice conditions!!! Merry christmas!!!

Offline Scottman1970

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #269 on: Dec 26, 2017, 12:45 PM »
Anyone been to lake Ovid or round lake last couple days? Curious if there's any ice. Need to go out. I'm from Owosso. Any safe ice will do lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.