Author Topic: clam2000 vs shappell 3000  (Read 4256 times)

Offline trimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
clam2000 vs shappell 3000
« on: Nov 15, 2003, 12:03 PM »
i,m looking for some input on which would be better.i think the shappell is easier to assemble because the poles are corded together.but i,d like to here from those who have used them.

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
Re:clam2000 vs shappell 3000
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2003, 02:47 PM »
I have the Shappell 300 deluxe and I have no complaints. It's fairly easy to set up and knock down, even in the wind, but be sure to have anchors handy as it does a great impression of an ice boat! I did have to modify the floor openings as they kept closing whenever the wind hit the walls but all it took was some heavy duty velcro and glue. I also like the big windows fore and aft, they are at a good height for watching tip-ups and have flaps that cover them completely.

Offline pkevinb

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2003, 03:18 PM »
I have a shappell 2000 and love it.  It sets up very easily and quickly and comes down just as fast.  On windy day you do need to anchor it down.

The only problem I had was that I lost the center pole coming off the ice one day and had to wait for the spring melt to find it.  In the meantime I cut a piece of conduit the same size and was a great fix.

Kevin

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2003, 04:32 PM »
I have the 3000 deluxe and love it. Like they said,easy to put up and take down. I have no complaints and endorse the product. :'(

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2003, 12:36 AM »
I have a shappell and like it alot. i have had it for almost 5 years now. the clams look good. never tried to put one up so don't know how easy it is. I have put the shappell up and down somany times that i could do it in my sleep. when i get a new shack I will do alot of looking because there are so many good ones being made today. but it will be hard to beat the shappell.

Offline riverboy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2003, 01:35 AM »
I have a shappel 3000 and love it for staying put fishing. If I want to be moblie I will use my Fish Trap. The Shappell fits two guys comfortably and sets up in seconds. The holes are a little close togther if using two rods each. Especially when aggressivly jigging for walleye with rapala's or any lure with a circluar motion. Be very careful on windy days expecially when there is no snow!!! I have seen those shantys sliding down the river. I like the shappell over the clam because its taller, you have more room to stand up in and strech! Get the one with the canvas the other one with the poly tarp rips easily. But it can be fixed easily with duct tape.

Offline trimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2003, 06:37 AM »
thanks for the replies.i was leaning towards the shappell anyway.you,ve confirmed what i expected.the shappell looks easy to put up and take down.  thanks again guys

Ice-Crack

« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2003, 06:36 PM »
What do you use to anchor the shapell?

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2003, 09:46 PM »
I didn't reply earlier but I too have the Shappell 3000 that I bought used and really like it. It can be somewhat mobile if it isn't too windy out. You can leave it set up and drag it to your new spot.As far as anchoring it, I drilled four holes through the plastic floor and use ice anchors. I bring a small hand drill with a 1/4" bit to predrill the holes. It seems to make it easier than trying to screw them down. There are some elastic tie downs you can use too, but I found the holes to be more efficient.

HEAD

« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2003, 04:03 AM »
I can put up my 3000 in less than 1 min on a calm day.  I also think the 3000 is taller than the Clam.

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2003, 04:14 AM »
I have the Shappell 3000dx and I love it. I use the toggle method of anchoring it. I drill a hole in the ice with my auger and I have a piece of angle iron about 2 feet long with a hole drilled in the middle of it with a piece of rope tied through it and thats tied to the rope used to pull it. The only problem with that is if the wind changes direction the shanty spins with the wind if your not in it. I'm trying to come up with a way to anchor without drilling into the floor. :'(
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2003, 09:56 AM »
I have Shappell 4000, I like it because I can stand up in it.  It can be a bit of a pain to put up in the wind.  I have screw in anchors that I made myself. I seldem use them because once i set up I always kick snow-ice all the way around the shanty to keep out the wind and light. This is usually enough to keep it in place. The 4000 is called a 4 person  but I think 2 with gear is the truth. I've had 4 in it and you could hardly move to bring in a fish.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2003, 03:42 PM »
I use the Shappell anchors, I think I paid seven or eight dollars for a pair of them and they screw right through the floor into the ice. They look like a large screw with a T-handle.
What do you use to anchor the shapell?

Offline trimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2003, 06:15 PM »
just order the shappell dx 3000 now all i need is ice.I,ll give the ice anchors a try,are they hard to get start or do you recommend pre drilling

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2003, 08:06 PM »
Trimmer, I bought a cheap hand drill (crank)with a 1/4" bit. It takes all the work out of it and it doesn't add that much weight to the rest of my stuff.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.