Author Topic: Trap doors in shanty  (Read 4154 times)

prairiedogdale

Trap doors in shanty
« on: Jan 30, 2003, 02:55 AM »
We have a shack with 22" square trap doors on hinges in the floor.  We want to cut in some plastic pails or something similar into the trap doors so we can seal out the elements when fishing thru them.  We have an 8" auger.  Anybody out there done this?  Ideas on how wide the pail should be for pulling lunch out.  Suggestions?

ppdale

trapper1187

Re: Trap doors in shanty
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2003, 02:56 PM »
Try just buying a small section of pvc pipe most hardware stores will sell it by the foot section.

prairiedogdale

« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2003, 02:41 AM »
trapper,  How large a diameter do you think it should be for an 8" hole?

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2003, 03:26 AM »
We always use 5 gal pails.  We cut the bottom off and slip them through the hole.  When you use a 5 gal pail you don't have to take the pail out to auger the hole.  The pails should be long enough to reach the ice to help seal it up.  Some guys even line the pails with a removable piece of foam so that it will help keep the hole from freezing on cold days.  You can also use the pail lid to cover up the holes at the end of the day.

prairiedogdale

« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2003, 03:33 AM »
mnfishman,

I'm probably going to go with the pails since I have a bunch of em kicken around.  I like the idea of putting foam in the pail to keep the hole from freezing.  Thanks 8)

ppdale

Offline Dihardfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WISCONSIN GOATS!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2003, 10:40 AM »
I think I will also use the idea of pails for my shanty.  That was a good idea.   :D

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2003, 02:15 PM »
I've seen guys using sono-tubes, (used for pouring concrete columns) pretty cheap at building supply joints and you can easily cut to length.

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2003, 11:19 AM »
We use the 20 L buckets or 5 gal to you U.S folks. They work very well and give you a 3-4 inch rail around the hole so if you drop something on the floor it don't fall right down, also keeps you from steeping in the hole. but I like the foam inside good idea. I have found on real cold days if your bait hits the inside of the bucket going down the hole it will freeze to it and if you pull on it it will tear of your hook  

Offline dusty

• IceShanty Rookie
  • bite me !!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2003, 12:11 AM »
i have an 6 x 10 ft shanty that has 5 holes. i too use the 5 gal bucket idea with the bottom cut out. i cover each hole when not in use or to keep the dog out. i have found thet this idea really keeps the cold wind out as well as any blowing snow. saves on fuel too. with out the wind blowing accross your hole they tend not to freeze as fast..

prairiedogdale

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2003, 03:20 AM »
We've decided to use the 5 gallon pails.  Only thing is we need to seal around the outside of the pails because the trap doors are so much bigger.  We're going to cut a piece of tin to 22" square, then cut the circle inside of that to exactly the diameter of the top of the pail.  That should keep the wind out.  We'll also be able to close the trap door onto the tin with it still laying inside when we remove the pails because the tin is only 1/16" thick.  I think it should work fine.  The idea of putting the foam piece in the hole when not in use is a great idea.  Thanks for the input.   :)

ppdale

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
Re:Trap doors in shanty
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2003, 09:23 AM »
just stuff snow all around the shanty. be sure the runners are up on blocks so if you want to move it, the shanty will not be frozen to the ice.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.