Author Topic: Any have a Frabill Venture Portable Shelter?  (Read 3586 times)

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
Any have a Frabill Venture Portable Shelter?
« on: Dec 29, 2004, 02:19 PM »
I just picked one up are they easy to set-up? Do they work good?
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

MikeS

Re: Any have a Frabill Venture Portable Shelter?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2004, 02:33 PM »
After the 1st time you set it up, you will think it is too much trouble. Stick with it, cuz it gets easier the more you do it. It is just practice and no harder than any other like type shelters. Just make sure to anchor it down if there is any wind at all or it will "take off" on you.

Mike S

Offline panfishpmp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2004, 03:05 PM »
Should have bought the Scout!! No set up

Kevin Kiffmeyer
Kevin Kiffmeyer

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2004, 03:24 PM »
I have the two man. It really has room for only one angler though. It isn't that portable and it does seem to come apart fairly easy. Would try something else.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Jenk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A bad day of fishin' beats a good day of work!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2004, 07:41 AM »
Just got one myself this year.  Had it out the 2 times I've gone already and as Mike said....YOU MUST ANCHOR IT DOWN.  As we were putting it up, a SLIGHT wind caught it, while I was inside and I started trolling.  Fun and scary at the same time.  It only took us about 5 minutes to put it up (practice setting it up and taking it down), and the first fish of the season was pulled through the hole in the shanty.  I found it roomy for the two of us and my friend is a fairly tall guy.  I like it because you can stand up in it which also means plenty of room for a hook set.  It's not as easy to set up as some of the others, but once you get it down, there shouldn't be any issues.  Plus it's better if you have more than one person helping.  Good luck, and again, anchor it down!
Nothing changes, when nothing changes.

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2004, 09:01 AM »
How do you anchor it down? What do you use?
Thanks
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline Jenk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A bad day of fishin' beats a good day of work!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2004, 10:28 AM »
There are a bunch of different methods to anchor it down.  You can buy shanty anchors, or make them yourself.  When we were out, and trolling in the shanty :-), we didn't have any anchors.  So checking through the sled to see what I DID have, I found 2 big spikes, so we cut about a foot of the safety rope in two pieces, drilled two holes next to the shanty, tied the rope to the spikes and the other end to the shanty, then dropped the spikes into the holes and pulled tight.  The spikes held under the hole which in turn held the shanty.  To get the spikes out, I just used my scooper, pushed them down at an angle and out they came.  Piece of cake.  You can use just about anything longer than the diameter of the hole.  Search around the site here, there are oodles of ideas.  Good luck.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=16643.0
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=14115.0
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=4057.0
Nothing changes, when nothing changes.

iceman480

« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2004, 12:47 PM »
I have had one since last season works great there are a lot better out there.  But with practice you can set it up fairly easy yourself. As far as not being very protible we dont take it down we pull it with everything inside while it is still up works just fine so I think its ok.

Offline itchynate

• IceShanty Rookie
  • right there!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2005, 09:54 PM »
i bought one this year and like it alot. i leave the shell connected to the floor fulltime. i also anchored the side frames ( the bottom half of the u-shaped side bar)the the floor using 1" u bolts. you just hop in and have your roof bar ready and put the sides together and your ready. it makes doing it by yourself alot easier. good luck.
I.B.O.T.#361

Offline colorado_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2005, 10:16 AM »
This is my third season with the Venture (about 30-40 days on the ice).  Set it up at home first.  This takes about a half hour or so.  It takes 5 minutes the first time on the ice then goes quickly.  My son and I can set it up in 2+ minutes  - no joking.  As far as anchors I shovel the snow off the lake (most is blown off anyway) then use 4" deck screws with 1" fender washers on the windy side (usually comes from one direction).  It's starting to show a little wear on the fabric and some pinholes but I have to admit I don't treat it very well.  Bang it up, throw it down, drag it off the ice.  The main thing is to set it back up to dry out when you're done.  I set it up within 2 days, let it dry for 2 days and then hit it with some Febreze before I close it back up.  The next weekend it smells great, is dry and works great.  During a multiple day trip it's kind of a pain because of the moisture that clings to the fabric - but it dries quickly.

If you set the doors into the wind it will lean a bit but will hold together. 

One more tip for setup/teardown: leave the doors open to minimize wind resistance.

Good luck!

Offline itchynate

• IceShanty Rookie
  • right there!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2005, 07:13 PM »
where could i get a new roof bar for my venture? i need one that is slightly arched, to keep snow and rain off the roof. i know i could make my own, but is there somewhere to buy them?
I.B.O.T.#361

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.