Author Topic: Sled starting problem?  (Read 3132 times)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Sled starting problem?
« on: Dec 27, 2016, 04:13 PM »
I have a 2010 Arctic Cat F570, it only has 116 miles on it and hasn't been out in the last two years. I have the carburetor drained every spring and the gas was treated. I turn the key and the sled turns over 2-4 times and stops? Any ideas on what it could be or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, bart
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline jlreeder43

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Sled starting problem?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2016, 04:51 PM »
Check your battery and connections
The green hornet has caught more fish then you have lied about.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2016, 05:07 PM »
Is the battery just dead? Does it turn over very slow? That does sound weird, most sleds I know of will turn til it starts or the battery runs out or the starter dies. Make sure your kill switch is on, ???, I know but it has happened before. When the carb is drained it takes a lot to refill it and for fuel to get to the combustion chamber, it almost needs to be primed so to speak. Sometimes to persuade an engine I'll put a few drops of fuel down the cylinder, remove the plugs, if they are dry put 1/2 teaspoon of fuel in each cylinder. Fire it up, if it runs a few seconds and stalls, keep doing it. It will eventually pull fuel from the carbs. If it sounds more like a starter problem... do you have a pull start you could use just to try to get it going? There are snowmobile forums also and people are pretty knowledgeable there as well. Good luck
It must be something in the water.

Offline eyeball15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2016, 05:39 PM »
Is the battery just dead? Does it turn over very slow? That does sound weird, most sleds I know of will turn til it starts or the battery runs out or the starter dies. Make sure your kill switch is on, ???, I know but it has happened before. When the carb is drained it takes a lot to refill it and for fuel to get to the combustion chamber, it almost needs to be primed so to speak. Sometimes to persuade an engine I'll put a few drops of fuel down the cylinder, remove the plugs, if they are dry put 1/2 teaspoon of fuel in each cylinder. Fire it up, if it runs a few seconds and stalls, keep doing it. It will eventually pull fuel from the carbs. If it sounds more like a starter problem... do you have a pull start you could use just to try to get it going? There are snowmobile forums also and people are pretty knowledgeable there as well. Good luck

All this sounds right, also check to see if you are getting spark

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2016, 06:15 PM »
Thanks guys!

The battery seems strong, I turned it over at least 20 times and still strong, never faded. I'll check the connections and the spark in the am. I also thought it would take a lot to fill the carburetor but before it would just keep turning over. I try priming it some more also in the am? I thought it might be the starter some how? But to be honest with you, I don't have a clue with snowmobiles.

The guy that usually takes care of it is backed up, it will be 2 weeks before he can even look at it. I usually take care of things early but never had a problem and let it go way too late...

Thanks again, bart
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline jlreeder43

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2016, 06:18 PM »
Try blowing in your tank it will help push fuel into your lines plus cats are know for fuel pumps going out if not used regularly.
The green hornet has caught more fish then you have lied about.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2016, 06:20 PM »
Alex Delarge, I did try pull starting it a few times, with health issues I didn't get much a pull on it or too many times. I'll have my son pull it for me after his work day is over tomorrow. Thanks again!
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2016, 06:25 PM »
Try blowing in your tank it will help push fuel into your lines plus cats are know for fuel pumps going out if not used regularly.

I'll try it. I did crack the gas cap to break any seal/vacuum it may have had from sitting?  Thanks again, bart

Keep America Godly...

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2016, 07:03 PM »
pull the plug and pour maybe a teaspoon of gas it , replace the plug and try starting

luv2fish2

« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2016, 09:23 AM »
Bart, as said pull plugs and ck condition of them may have fouled them i'd replace them anyway cheap insurance 

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2016, 12:35 PM »
I caved, after it sitting for two years and my condition the way it is I can't risk any break downs. I brought it to the dealer, he is going to go through the whole machine top to bottom. He said 7-10 days, ice isn't ready for machines right now and didn't want to drag it any further into this season.

I want to thank every body for all the help, it is greatly appreciated.
  Keep America Godly...

Offline eyeball15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2016, 03:50 PM »
I caved, after it sitting for two years and my condition the way it is I can't risk any break downs. I brought it to the dealer, he is going to go through the whole machine top to bottom. He said 7-10 days, ice isn't ready for machines right now and didn't want to drag it any further into this season.

I want to thank every body for all the help, it is greatly appreciated. (Image removed from quote.)

Ya bart, well worth the piece of mind. Mine was starting hard so I dropped it off at the dealer only has 800 miles, but I don't want to get stranded out on the ice. Except it back any day now

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2016, 06:01 PM »

Ya bart, well worth the piece of mind. Mine was starting hard so I dropped it off at the dealer only has 800 miles, but I don't want to get stranded out on the ice. Except it back any day now

I thought it would be the best plan for me...  good luck and be safe out there!
  Keep America Godly...

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2016, 10:24 PM »
Mine was tough start this year,made sure it had a full charge and primed the carb as I pushed the starter,got it going finally  :)

Offline eyeball15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2017, 04:17 PM »
Got my sled back yesterday, they cleaned the carbs,new scags, New sliders, New plugs. Grease everything. Starts right up!!! Can't wait to get some ice under it.😃😃😃😃

Offline edscreek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:25 AM »
Hey Bart, everyone has different ideas about running the fuel out of their two strokes but I have been told that it can cause gaskets to dry out and things to stick. Just something to think about.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:46 AM »
Hey Bart, everyone has different ideas about running the fuel out of their two strokes but I have been told that it can cause gaskets to dry out and things to stick. Just something to think about.

edscreek, thanks. What I have been doing is leaving the fuel full and always treat the fuel and have the Dealer summerize also it til the next season. Hoping to get her on the ice soon...
  Keep America Godly...

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2017, 10:35 AM »
I leave fuel in all of mine with startron stabilizer, blue bottle.  I start them every month or two in the off-season to keep things flowing.  They all start right up this winter, my brother in laws took the longest because he hadn't started it in 4-5 months, but after a warm up and a first long hard ride, they're purring like tigers.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2017, 07:10 PM »
blowing in the tank does work on sleds that sit for long periods of time.it fills the fuel pump up and the carb bowl.if gas has drained back to the tank it takes alot of pulls or battery power to get the fuel syphoning back to the fuel pump and then the carbs.my arctic ccat 340 puma will start in 2 pulls if I blow in the tank and that thing sits for 8 months out of the year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.