Author Topic: Polaris Ranger 570 midsize safety  (Read 4952 times)

Offline waterfowlstocker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • not how deep you fish its how you wiggle your worm
Polaris Ranger 570 midsize safety
« on: Dec 03, 2016, 03:09 PM »
SO my dad and I have bought a polaris ranger. We had polaris fully enclose the cab. After some thought, we were thinking if there were anybody who has seen emergency rear window panel so someone could escape the cab if anything ever happens? Was thinking a window breaker would be fine, but if its laminated glass that wouldn't work very well, and obviously not against a poly window. I know a four wheeler or taking off the doors would be a easier and safer option, but just looking for some insight from others on ice safety out there.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Polaris Ranger 570 midsize safety
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2016, 01:15 PM »
1) check Ice thickness before venturing out
2) run with your doors open until familiar with the ice, or you see heavier vehicles out there
3) wear a life preserver & carry ice picks
4) see #1

Offline chasinfins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2016, 01:31 PM »
I've got the same UTV, but with roof, glass windshield, and glass back panel.  Didn't want doors because if the thing breaks through you don't want to be trapped by a door that won't open or be messing around trying to break glass.
Life is hard ... even harder if you're stupid ...

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2016, 09:49 AM »
I have a 570 Sportsman with tracks. The ATV alone, dry, weighs damn near 1000 lbs. With me, fuel, my bag full and pulling my shack and auger...I'm pushing 1500-1600 lbs. I have a motto I've kept true to since I bought it. "Never be the first one out on the ice" I'll let somebody else test the waters before I wander out.

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2016, 01:56 PM »
I have a 570 Sportsman with tracks. The ATV alone, dry, weighs damn near 1000 lbs. With me, fuel, my bag full and pulling my shack and auger...I'm pushing 1500-1600 lbs. I have a motto I've kept true to since I bought it. "Never be the first one out on the ice" I'll let somebody else test the waters before I wander out.

What brand tracks do  you have? I just got a 570 and have the newest polaris prospector tracks on it.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2016, 08:46 AM »
I have the Prospector II's, they're made by CamoPlast.

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2016, 07:46 PM »
So.... I just bought a 1000 Ranger Crew with the full cab and put the camso utv 4s1 tracks on it...I'm thinking a consistent 8" I'd be good but i'm not one to try my luck.  What do you guys feel comfortable with? I'd think the tracks would help to distribute the weight a bit...

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2016, 12:37 AM »
So.... I just bought a 1000 Ranger Crew with the full cab and put the camso utv 4s1 tracks on it...I'm thinking a consistent 8" I'd be good but i'm not one to try my luck.  What do you guys feel comfortable with? I'd think the tracks would help to distribute the weight a bit...

Wow.....Nice set-up.....What's total weight on that bad boy all dressed up?? Gotta be pushing 1900 lbs. just UTV & tracks.
My rule of thumb/comfort zone has always been 6" for the ATV & 10" for the UTV. Yes, tracks will distribute the weight better.

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2016, 05:45 AM »
Good question? I'm not sure I'm thinking it has to be pushing 2,200 lbs with the cab and tracks plus I added bumpers and winches.  With the tracks on it's 14.5' long from front of tracks to back so the weight is spread out quite a bit.  I want to take it through a scale just to see but I've only had the tracks on for about a week now and haven't had a chance.
[imghttp://][/img]

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2016, 03:13 PM »
Yeah....I'd bet your guesstimate of 2200 lbs is pretty close. Would be interesting to see scaled weight tho.
That's a sweet looking rig & the light bar is a nice touch. Congrats on the new machine, Happy Holidays to ya & have yourself a great season !!

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2016, 12:36 PM »
Good question? I'm not sure I'm thinking it has to be pushing 2,200 lbs with the cab and tracks plus I added bumpers and winches.  With the tracks on it's 14.5' long from front of tracks to back so the weight is spread out quite a bit.  I want to take it through a scale just to see but I've only had the tracks on for about a week now and haven't had a chance.

WOW! What a great ride! Do you live on the lake or do you have to trailer this to and from?

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2016, 08:53 AM »
Nice setup Lavman.

Offline Cal64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2016, 09:35 AM »
I have a similar set up, what I did for rear window was to cut a piece of plexi to fit the entire rear opening, then I found a used rear sliding window from ford ranger and mounted that in a hole cut in the Plexi. If escape was main concern, I would then mount this to bottom of window opening with hinges, so it would fold back easily. You could then mount it solid for summer use. If there is any question of safety, I run with doors open, as soon as you go thru you are trapped if they are closed. Good advice on waiting for others to test first. Whenever I start to think there should be enough ice, someone almost always takes a truck out first. Nice looking unit, you will love it!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2016, 05:07 PM »

That's AWESOME and the PERFECT set up for me, I'm in love with it and want one just like it.  LOL  Now to figure out how to sneak one home just like that? Is it also a 570?

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2017, 12:44 AM »
Is it also a 570?

^^^^^^^^^^Polaris Ranger 1000 Crew^^^^^^^^^^

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2017, 06:53 PM »
I didn't even notice that, thanks for pointing it out.  The more I look at that picture the more I like it. 

Bull_Gill_Mike, where did you get those doors, I don't see them on Polaris' website.

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2017, 11:38 AM »
Sorry I haven't been on lately...  I do not live on the lake so it gets trailered.  As far as an escape route if something were to go down the front windshield tips up on it.  The doors are just Polaris doors and should be on the website?  Not sure on 570 but I think they have the same cage setup.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2017, 11:47 AM »
Thanks for the info on the doors, I'll checked the website again and they have camo doors for some models, the doors like you have for one model, and only list the canvas doors for the 570-6.  Don't all of these Crew Rangers the same door dimensions?

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2017, 12:26 PM »
Thats what I thought?  I thought they all had the same cages on them so most of the doors windows etc would be interchangable, I  would give your dealer a call I find it hard to believe they don't sell the same set up for the 570.  Also check out prcforum.com a lot of good info and builds on there. 

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2017, 12:31 PM »
Also if you go with the full cab, I'd definitely get the heater for the defrost alone.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2017, 02:48 PM »
Thank you for all the info and advice, I greatly appreciate it.  I'm kinda leaning towards the 570-6 because of the high weight capacity, it's a little cheaper, and it'll have enough room to take my wife and two kids out riding.  Out of curiosity what do you think of that version and is there a specific reason you went with the 1000?

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2017, 06:45 AM »
No Problem.  If you're planning on going with the tracks I would seriously consider going with a 900, I've seeen some pretty good deals on them now that the 1000's are out.  The tracks rob a lot of power and with a full load gear and pulling a shelter I prescribe to the theory that you can never have enough power.  I'd hate to invest the kind of money you're looking at then wish you'd went bigger.
With the Camso tracks the gearing is different depending on the type of machine so maybe it wouldn't be a problem IDK.  I do know that the 2017 tracks are a whole new design with some pretty big upgrades compared to the older ones.  I think the main difference in the track set up for the different machines is based on the amount of Teeth on the big wheel at the top of the tracks.  I got mine from ATVtracks.net they have a lot of videos going over the tracks the upgrades on the redesigned 17' tracks etc. and a call to them would be worth it if you are thinking of putting tracks on they were very helpful and the videos explain a lot.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:55 AM »
The tracks would be really cool to have but since we don't get a lot of deep snow I don't think I really need them.  Although they would probably help prevent from getting stuck on the soggy ground.    :whistle: :whistle:  Have you ever used the tracks when the ground is real spongy like in a field after a heavy rain or in the woods on dry ground.  Part of me thinks the tracks would make it pretty unstoppable but the other part thinks they wouldn't last too long since they're rubber.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.