The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Moving to Madison  (Read 1473 times)

Offline TogueTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
Moving to Madison
« on: Jan 04, 2006, 07:01 PM »
I am possibly moving to Madison.  I am an avid icefisher here in New Hampshire and was wondering what type of ice fishing opportunities there are available in the Madison area.  Right now in New Hampshire I mainly target Lake Trout in the winter and Landlock atlantic salmon in the summer.
Thanks
TT

Offline baune13

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Moving to Madison
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2006, 07:43 AM »
i fish in the madison area quite a bit.  the madison chain of lakes provide excellent fishing opportunities in the area.  I prefer lake Waubesa.  one problem down there is that the lakes are often extremely over run with people.  the summer time is ridiculous.  the combination of large amounts of recreational boaters and fisherman is not always a good one.  there are also numerous lakes within 30-40 miles of madison.  you  will have no problem finding places to fish.  weather can sometimes make it interesting as Madison is just far enough south so that warm temperatures can reak havoc with the ice.  hope this helps.  good luck.

Boob Dinkelman

Re: Moving to Madison
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2006, 02:55 PM »
I used to live outside of Madison.  There's a whole ton of lakes within an hour's drive, and further north, you can't swing an empty fish bag 'round your head without finding a lake.

The Madison lakes have some big bluegills that suspend in them...noteably on Mendota.   

Nearby Rock Lake in Lake Mills, same story, less pressure.

I think you'll be happy.   Plus, there's Lake Michigan, 2 hrs away, and Lake Superior, 4 or 5 hours away.   And the Mississippi, 2 hours away.  Lots of variety.

Northern Pike, Walleyes, Bluegills, Crappies, Perch, Largemouth Bass are all mainstays on the inland waters.   The Wolf River, about 2 hours from Madison, has a hell of a White Bass run.   Up north, add smallmouth bass and Muskellunge.    Some inland waters have trout.    Mississippi, and some rivers, add Catfish.   Lakes Michigan and Superior, add Lake Trout, Coho, Chinook, Whitefish.    Winnebago and some other inland waters, Sturgeon spearing.    And then there's bullheads, my father's favorite.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.