Author Topic: Coffee  (Read 20626 times)

Offline cavedave

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Coffee
« Reply #30 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:34 AM »
Ive made plenty of 'campfire coffee'.  Ive never heard or seen the grounds come to the top.  maybe you do it different.

No..youre right. The grounds sink and ya dip a mug into it to skim coffee without disturbing the grounds...I never really made it that way, just been told how...

I used to make campin coffee with a 2 liter soda bottle. Cut the top off so there is enough to fit a filter in it and an inch or two extra. Poke holes above the cap and stick it cap down into a tall cup. Cut the bottom off of the bottle and poke small holes in the bottom. Put it on top of the other contraption and pour in hot water.

The things ya do for a hot cup :)

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #31 on: Feb 01, 2007, 10:33 AM »
For camp coffee, if not using a percolator....mix the grounds with an egg, shell and all....mix it up, and when its good and gloppy, dump it into the pot of boiling water.....after it cooks for a while, dump in the cup of cool water, and good to go.  First cup might have a floater or two, but then nothing but clear nectar after that

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #32 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:02 AM »
my uncle use to have an old camp percolater with a handle on it....

it had a screw lid on it...

when the coffee was done(only he knew when it was done..lol)

he would attach it to a rope and swing it in a circle a few times.... never was a ground of coffee found in the bottom of my cup

as for coffee, whatever my local rite aid has on sale...usually 1.50 for a small can...

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 21, 2007, 04:55 PM »
any of you guys or gals use a perculator...and if so what kind of coffee do you buy?
  The only time I use a peculator is when I'm camping in the summer and fall and then I do it on the camp fire.  Maxwell House and Folgers sometimes mixed.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Feb 22, 2007, 03:53 PM »
I gotta remember the soda bottle trick next time I forget my autodrip
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline PigShanks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 22, 2007, 04:00 PM »
Do it cowboy style. Put two heaping teaspoons into a pan of water and boil. Chew and enjoy! :sick:

BOILED COFFEE!!!!!!!!!!!MMMMMMMMMMMMM

Now we're talking. Someone else that can make a freaking cup o Joe.

icewagon

« Reply #36 on: Feb 22, 2007, 08:41 PM »

Won this at a local fire carnival 40 yrs ago...it's been with me everywhere since, Maine, Virginia, Colorado and all points between there and PA, NY, Canada....it's better traveled than some people I know! Ice fishing or camping never lets me down.
Icewagon

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 22, 2007, 08:54 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
Won this at a local fire carnival 40 yrs ago...it's been with me everywhere since, Maine, Virginia, Colorado and all points between there and PA, NY, Canada....it's better traveled than some people I know! Ice fishing or camping never lets me down.
Icewagon
Like your # 6 cu handle.

Offline Stump Puller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 19, 2007, 07:51 PM »
Do it cowboy style. Put two heaping teaspoons into a pan of water and boil. Chew and enjoy! :sick:

When you buy a percolator, note the size of the holes in the basket. If they are too large you will get piping hot cup of mud. Some of the ones sold for camping are no good. If you can get an old perk from grandma or a garage sale, all the better. The old ones seem to work the best, especially glass ones.
The first one to spit out the grounds, cleans all the fish
Be safe out there, and set the iron.

Offline Wissota Bear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Sep 15, 2007, 11:03 PM »
Nothing beats being on the ice, watching the sun rise and having a good hot cup of coffee.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Sep 16, 2007, 07:48 AM »
Nothing beats being on the ice, watching the sun rise and having a good hot cup of coffee.
Let me guess you work for Folgers   lol

Offline Doggz1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Think like pike
« Reply #41 on: Sep 16, 2007, 11:55 AM »
I purchased a stainless steel perk from cabelas a few years ago and it works great...there is nothing better than getting your traps in the water and enjoying a cup of HOT coffee watching the sun come up and seeing your flags fly!
Fish when I can

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #42 on: Sep 16, 2007, 01:08 PM »
i really love a good cup of coffee and have tried many different ways to prepare it on the ice...but in my never ending quest to lighten the load in my jet sled im looking for a GREAT thermos...something that will not only keep my coffee hot for 5 hours but it has to be big enough to hold a few cups too! 

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Sep 16, 2007, 04:17 PM »
mmmmmmmmmm....fresh perked ,hot, 8o'clock coffee ...red bag...made in my old stainless perk on the coleman...with a everything bagel with veg. cream cheese.......dang ..now i'm hungry.... :-\ :tipup: :unsure: :tipup:

Offline madpistoleer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Sep 16, 2007, 07:32 PM »
Dunkin and a little JD........... ;D
Remember! 'I' before 'E' (Except in Budweiser).

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #45 on: Sep 17, 2007, 06:46 PM »
to avoid the floaters I will pre-make a few coffee pouches...  put enough coffee in a regular filter, fold it up and tie it closed with a couple of feed of fishing line.  Boil the water, throw in a pouch, let it steep for 10 minutes or so, pull out the pouch, and the coffee is ready.  Keep hot on a low heat and keep adding water and pouches as needed.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #46 on: Oct 02, 2007, 06:22 AM »
IcyMike does the coffee become stronger the longer you leave it in or bitter?  I had thought about this idea, but never did it.  Seems it would cut down on the mess.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Oct 02, 2007, 06:25 AM »
IcyMike does the coffee become stronger the longer you leave it in or bitter?  I had thought about this idea, but never did it.  Seems it would cut down on the mess.
Add some JD and after a few you wont mind the mess   lol

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Oct 16, 2007, 10:54 AM »
"it don't take near as much water to make coffee as some people think"
anybody know the author or book that that's from?
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #49 on: Oct 17, 2007, 11:04 PM »
Cowboy Cocktails: Boot Scootin' Beverages and Tasty Vittles from the Wild West By Grady Spears, Brigit Legere Binns

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #50 on: Oct 18, 2007, 12:49 AM »
the only way i make coffee on the ice is cowboy style, i dont mind if i get a few grounds in the coffee i aint picky, coffee is coffee and im to cheap to go buy a perk :P

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Oct 18, 2007, 12:40 PM »
Cowboy Cocktails: Boot Scootin' Beverages and Tasty Vittles from the Wild West By Grady Spears, Brigit Legere Binns

not the book i was thinkin' of, but i like the sounds of that title.
i'll just have to google that.
i like your office cooler. where is regina and what does it rhyme with ?
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #52 on: Oct 20, 2007, 02:06 PM »
Regina:
"its a little bit south, of Saskatoon"!!!

Offline Nainoa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Oct 22, 2007, 10:33 AM »
After spending some Time in Hawaii, near the two largest coffee plantations in America, and the extensive education I got there... I now only make coffee with a french press from whole beans, that I grind myself from the Island of Kaua'i!

Ground Folgers tastes like Dirty Water to me.

Regardless of where you get the beans... Has to be whole beans...
Pre-ground kills the coffee... Heck grinding the beans more than 3 hours before you brew it is the coffee equivalent of just giving your Mom a high five for Mother's day!

If I'm going up on the ice, I bring a tea kettle... And before I leave I grind and vacuum seal individual bags with my food saver... Then I bring the french press along.

When I want to make coffee... Heat up the kettle to just before she's about to whistle...

Open a bag of grind and drop it in the press... Add water... Stir... Let it sit for 6 minutes... Then press, and pour... Keep the rest in a good thermos.

Full Bodied coffee, and I don't have to worry about heat burning it into bitter dirt water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.