Author Topic: Coffee  (Read 20626 times)

Offline Meatro14

• IceShanty Rookie
Coffee
« on: Nov 28, 2006, 01:05 PM »
any of you guys or gals use a perculator...and if so what kind of coffee do you buy?

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
Re: Coffee
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2006, 03:28 PM »
ahhhh, fresh coffee, what a treat, eh?  After getting tired of either spilling my cup of joe, or having it get cold, and losing my thermos to the boys and their hot chocolate, I started to take a small perculating pot out there...

I grind my own beans that my buddy roasts.  He buys them green in bulk, a variety of kinds, roasts them right, and man o man...ive had that coffee everywhere from the beaches of the outerbanks to the deer camp in wisconsin to the 10,000 foot mountains elk hunting in colorado....mmmmmmm

Offline Meatro14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2006, 06:46 PM »
right on...looking forward to trying it out

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2006, 07:19 PM »
I love coffee on the ice, I have been looking for a good perculater, are you guys using one over a fire, or on a coleman style camp stove?

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2006, 07:56 PM »
percolator.....but having said that...if you want the very best in coffee, you should by a coffee press.....and the most critical thing...do NOT boil the water...it should be just under and poured over the tasty ground beans.....one cup at a time.....gotta go.....Grump  :D

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2006, 08:08 PM »
Do it cowboy style. Put two heaping teaspoons into a pan of water and boil. Chew and enjoy! :sick:

When you buy a percolator, note the size of the holes in the basket. If they are too large you will get piping hot cup of mud. Some of the ones sold for camping are no good. If you can get an old perk from grandma or a garage sale, all the better. The old ones seem to work the best, especially glass ones.

hali-man

« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2006, 09:08 PM »
I like coffee as much as anyone-
But I can honestly say that I've never had a cup of joe on the ice.

8)

camo_fish

« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2006, 10:19 PM »
I almost always will have my perculator and single coleman propane burner.
My buddy get a coffee of the month thing and we always brings a great tasting flavor with him.
Nothing better than to get set up and get the perculator fired up, hot coffee to go around is the best out on the ice.  ;D

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2006, 01:56 PM »
I almost always will have my perculator and single coleman propane burner.
My buddy get a coffee of the month thing and we always brings a great tasting flavor with him.
Nothing better than to get set up and get the perculator fired up, hot coffee to go around is the best out on the ice.  ;D

Especially with a little baileys or the such mixed in.   ;)

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2006, 02:00 PM »
They make filters for the percs.  Coffee always taste better from a perculator.  I have only taken mine with on over night trips.  I have one of the Coleman party grills and it works perfect for this. 

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2006, 02:14 PM »
Grump is spot on!  You can get a lexan coffee press at many sporting goods stores now and not have to worry about breaking glass.  Toss your grounds in, add some hot water, let sit for a couple of minutes then enjoy.  Great coffee, less time, mess and fuel! 

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2006, 02:18 PM »
i use mine all the time i have a s/s camping one and a single burner i take i every where. i also use it in my boat while i'm trolling  ;D

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2006, 02:34 PM »
I bought one of those colman drip style looks like a mr coffee but goes right on the stove burner     fantastic    just like home! 3 scoops of coffee in the filter and Im all set for 10 -12 cups ;D  no variation on my style at home or on the lake or just camping
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2006, 07:00 PM »
I have a stainless perculator I picked up at wally world in with the pot and pans. Works great. My daughters archery team does free coffee at rest areas for a fund raiser. They use a couple cabelas perks. great stuff. ;D

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2006, 10:36 AM »
Instead of a perculator, buy those individual coffe bags, boil some water and pour into a cup. let it brew like tea for a minute or too. They actually taste good. no messing around with coffee grounds and boiling it just right.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2006, 11:27 AM »
Instead of a perculator, buy those individual coffe bags, boil some water and pour into a cup. let it brew like tea for a minute or too. They actually taste good. no messing around with coffee grounds and boiling it just right.

cmon roy,,,,,you probably eat fishsticks too....just pop em in, no cleaning fish, or messing around with oil.... :D

we'll have to hook up on dcl sometime this winter and i'll pour you a cup of heaven.  (but i have used those bags myself in a pinch...)

Offline ceo32312

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2006, 01:19 PM »

The only way to go out on the ice! :tipup:
CEO

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2006, 01:35 PM »
for those who love coffee like me and use a propane cookstove this is the answer on the ice . no shanty kitchen is complete without it  ;D 

Offline The Darkness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2006, 03:14 PM »
Do it cowboy style. Put two heaping teaspoons into a pan of water and boil. Chew and enjoy! :sick:

When you buy a percolator, note the size of the holes in the basket. If they are too large you will get piping hot cup of mud. Some of the ones sold for camping are no good. If you can get an old perk from grandma or a garage sale, all the better. The old ones seem to work the best, especially glass ones.
I found the old stainless one my dad used to use when I was a kid, while at my mother's place last weekend.
Just had to bring it home. Haven't used it yet, but I will.....

WORK is that annoying time between FISHING TRIPS

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2006, 08:08 AM »
cmon roy,,,,,you probably eat fishsticks too....just pop em in, no cleaning fish, or messing around with oil.... :D

we'll have to hook up on dcl sometime this winter and i'll pour you a cup of heaven.  (but i have used those bags myself in a pinch...)

I don't eat fish, don't like the taste of fish, I just like to catch them.  ;D

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2006, 08:23 AM »
An Ice Fishing Coffe Haiku:

Love me the caffeine
Cowboy coffee is good too
Jig faster faster

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2006, 08:31 AM »
All this fancy new fangled stuff is good and fine, but there is just nothing like the sound and smell of a perculator.

Like MN Burbot said.  If the coffee is ground too small get a filter.  A paper towel will do in a pinch, but make sure it's a cheap one.  The expensive ones hold the water in too well and you'll overflow and get grounds in the soup.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2006, 10:03 AM »
An Ice Fishing Coffe Haiku:

Love me the caffeine
Cowboy coffee is good too
Jig faster faster

I think somebody has been drinking coffe with mouse sprinkles.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2006, 11:39 AM »
I think somebody has been drinking coffe with mouse sprinkles.

Mouse sprinkles, shmouse sprinkles
I call it flavor
Hey man, catch the furry little bugger yet?

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2006, 07:41 AM »
i use the camping perculator with just any old coffe that you like, toss it on my little 1# burner and its great, but i think i am going to simplify this year and not take out all the parts for the metal coffe pot, just the water in it, bring it to a boil and use instant coffee :tipup:

something similar to this one.

Coffee Pot

Offline BUSCHLITE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 11, 2006, 09:07 AM »
I just got a 8 cup peculator for deer huntin camp this year. I'm still trying to master the art of the peculator though. Every once in a while I boil her over making a mess, but I'm getting better at it. As for what kinda coffee, what ever is on sale, is what the wife brings home. Doesn't matter to her she doesn't drink the stuff.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Dec 11, 2006, 10:03 AM »
Hey man, catch the furry little bugger yet?
I haven't caught him yet. I think I might put a coffee bag in the middle of a bunch of glue traps. He seemed to like the taste.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2006, 01:23 PM »
put blue sticky trap in the bottom of a sacrificial used coffee mug.  he wants the coffe residue in the bottom of the mug, no?

Offline cavedave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 29, 2007, 05:43 AM »
Do it cowboy style. Put two heaping teaspoons into a pan of water and boil. Chew and enjoy!

If ya toss in a little cold water the grounds will rise to the top and ya just scoop em out.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 29, 2007, 02:53 PM »
Ive made plenty of 'campfire coffee'.  Ive never heard or seen the grounds come to the top.  maybe you do it different.

Bring water in coffee pot to just boiling.  Toss in desired amount of coffee grounds and give the pot a good whipping stir.  smoke a cigarette. if you dont smoke thats alright time someone who does thats the time alotment fromthe guy who taught me.  now give it another good whipping stir  remove your stir stick  and slowly pour about a cup or so of cold water in your pot while its still swirling.  smoke another cigarette.  Your grounds will now be settled into the bottom of your pot.  set pot near  heat and your coffee will stay hot.  dont let it boil again as it will only cause grounds to unsettle.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.