Author Topic: Tuscan Shrimp and Beans  (Read 1436 times)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Tuscan Shrimp and Beans
« on: Dec 07, 2013, 06:23 PM »
OK, who doesn't like beans? I thought so......... Now, who doesn't like shrimp? Yeah, okay, ya got an allergy. Here, let me help you with that!

I mentioned previously that I was making "shrimp and beans" for dinner. Yes, I know it sounds like it doesn't belong together but trust me, this is quick, easy and awesome. I must confess, this is not an original recipe but one gleaned from a food channel show. It sounded good enough to try so I did. The original recipe is very good but during the time I can't grow fresh basil, I made a "cheat" that (while not the same) is still darn good... Here's the original, I'll put my comments in color.

Tuscan Shrimp with White Beans

Ingredients

•   3 cups canned Cannellini white beans DO find the Cannellini beans (they are white kidney beans and their flavor and texture cannot be duplicated in this recipe by any other bean, trust me) I use one can for two servings. Come to think of it, seems like I could always have a few more beans....
•   1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil use your judgement on oil amounts
•   16 large shrimp, peeled (tail left on) and deveined Since we like shrimp I'm using 26/30 count, 7-8 per serving or 14-26 for 2. Use only UNCOOKED shrimp for this. The EZ peel imported stuff is quick and cheap in a pinch, the flavor of good ol USA Gulf shrimp can't be beat
•   4 cloves garlic, sliced Garlic. I like garlic. Make it be fresh and use it to your taste.
•   1 small serrano chile, thinly sliced or 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes Chili! Don't leave this out. I've got a bag of fresh frozen I use in the off season.
•   1 cup peeled, seeded and diced fresh tomato, canned or fresh Fresh is best. I usually use Roma but if you can get San Marzano you will elevate the flavor of this dish considerably.
•   1 cup whole basil leaves Fresh basil is awesome. In the off season (like when I can't go pick my own) I use a commensurate pile of flat leaf parsley and a tablespoon or so of jarred pesto. Not the same but still very good......
•   1 tablespoon lemon juice
•   Salt and freshly ground black pepper
•   2 tablespoons Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped This is beyond the Sparky substitution for sprinkling on top. It looks nice but not really necessary
•   Best-quality extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling Absolutely! the better olive oil you have to drizzle over the top the better it tastes.

Directions

Drain the beans over a bowl and reserve the liquid. Put the white beans in a large skillet with just enough of their liquid to moisten them.
Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and bring the beans to a low simmer. Keep them warm while you prepare the shrimp. I don't even start the beans until the shrimp is done and I'm throwing 'em back in to reheat with the greens and tomatoes. They get mushy if you overcook 'em and I like the texture. I started measuring the liquid I drained. No more. I just crack the can, drain most of the liquid off and put the rest into the pan. Add some olive oil and you're good to go. If it needs a little extra you can spoon some in from the drainage. I also season the beans with a 1/4 tsp. of cracked rosemary (fresh is better) and about the same amount of salt.

Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the shrimp, season with salt and cook for about 1 minute, tossing frequently. Remove the shrimp with tongs to a bowl.

Add the garlic to the pan and sauté until the garlic browns. Add the serrano chile or chili flakes and cook for 1 minute.

Add the tomato and basil and stir briefly, and then add the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 1 minute, and then stir in the shrimp. Toss well and cook briefly to reheat the shrimp.

Remove the shrimp mixture to a plate and sprinkle with parsley.
Spoon the white beans on a platter or individual plates. Drizzle them with the best olive oil you have, and then top with the shrimp. Serve warm.

Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello -Food Network TV

I know, there are a lot of directions and note here but if you like beans and if you like shrimp check this out..........

NOW.... Have you made your roasted garlic? Why not?

Sparky's Homemade Garlic Bread

Ingredients:

1 French bread loaf
Roasted garlic puree
Parmesan cheese

Optional

Italian herbs
Fresh tomato
Mozzarella cheese

The Method:

Half the french loaf end to end like you're making a party sub

Drizzle with olive oil (don't worry, it's good for you!)

Spread a thin layer of the roasted garlic puree all over the expose surface of the loaf. If you really like garlic you can schlorb it on to your taste.......

Grate some real (not the Kraft sawdust in a can) Parmesan (or Romano or Asiago) cheese over the top to your taste.

Pop 'em in a 300 degree oven just enough to warm them through and melt the cheese. About 10 - 15 minutes.

As options you can sprinkle an Italian herb blend AND/OR thinly slice some fresh tomatoes (I like Roma) AND/OR add some mozzarella cheese to the whole works.

Again, seems like a lot, but run through the shrimp and beans once and you'll see that it can be pretty quick and easy.

Tonight it's Osso Buco with a Pine Nut Gremolata and sauteed Snow Peas (they were out of Sugar Snaps  >:() with onion, garlic, mushrooms and sweet peppers.

Dude (and Dudettes), we NEVER go "out to eat"............... ;)

/m

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline airplanejig

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tuscan Shrimp and Beans
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2013, 12:55 PM »
what about dessert  tiramisu perhaps with a double shot of espresso and  black sambucca
May your flags never have the bends

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Tuscan Shrimp and Beans
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2013, 06:15 PM »
what about dessert  tiramisu perhaps with a double shot of espresso and  black sambucca

I know, it sounds a little highbrow. But seriously.....beans, shrimp and Italian flavors. What's not to like? Once you work your way through it it's quick and easy to make.

Matter of fact, as I type, I've got a board full of tomatoes, parsley, garlic and serrano waiting for me to finish my martinis.....the shrimp are in the fridge.  ;D

As far as dessert? For me it's usually a glass of Sauza Blue (Reposado) but sometimes some CC Classic sneaks in............ @)

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.