Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 819512 times)

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #990 on: Jan 26, 2014, 07:31 AM »
5th year anniversary of this jewel of a sled today.

Congratulations and thanks Smitty.       :thumbsup: :clap:

Thankyou......I didn't realize it has been that long........Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #991 on: Jan 26, 2014, 07:44 AM »
First time out with mine on Saturday. Some of the guys out there took pictures. Some asked "what's that contraption?".. But all of them were impressed.

Thanks again Smitty and all the others that inspired me to build my" contraption ". It work flawlessly.

It is what it is....

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #992 on: Jan 26, 2014, 10:47 AM »
First time out with mine on Saturday. Some of the guys out there took pictures. Some asked "what's that contraption?".. But all of them were impressed.

Thanks again Smitty and all the others that inspired me to build my" contraption ". It work flawlessly.

I love it!! I'm glad questions were asked......Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline slammin slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #993 on: Jan 26, 2014, 12:00 PM »
Here are a few pics of the completed drop down smitty sled. I do have to move my skis about 3" back so it will fit in my truck. Minor detail, won't affect the build or performance at all.

Wow this is very nice great craftsmanship and ingenuity well built

You can see how I put a brace on the outside of the leg stop. This keeps lateral movement to a minimum.
Now if the weather would warm just a little I will get it out on the lake.
I don't have a problem I have an obsession😏

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #994 on: Jan 26, 2014, 01:42 PM »
I love it!! I'm glad questions were asked......Smitty

And you got the credit for starting this madness, sir!
It is what it is....

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #995 on: Jan 26, 2014, 02:20 PM »
Thank Smitty for inspiring all of us.

As you all know we cannot stop tinkering with what we have built. I took my drop down smitty out on Oneida Lake yesterday. It work very well, but when raising it up loaded on the snow it would slip alittle. So today I added a feature that will help with that. I put a spring attach to the pivot points. Now the spring assists in lifting the tub up.

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #996 on: Jan 26, 2014, 03:49 PM »

As you all know we cannot stop tinkering with what we have built. I took my drop down smitty out on Oneida Lake yesterday. It work very well, but when raising it up loaded on the snow it would slip alittle. So today I added a feature that will help with that. I put a spring attach to the pivot points. Now the spring assists in lifting the tub up.

Now that's using the ol noggin! Very cool. I expect a link to a video in the future...
It is what it is....

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #997 on: Jan 26, 2014, 08:00 PM »

Now all you have to do is figure out how to set it up so you can sit in it while I tow you across the ice!  Might not get as much snow in your face that way!   ;)

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #998 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:20 AM »

You guys are all welcome!! Smitty

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #999 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:33 AM »
Yea thanks smitty, if I ever get back out that way I'll buy you a Manny's pizza. Mine cost $3.00 (for the tele skis, had everything else laying around).

Offline Jim_MI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1000 on: Jan 27, 2014, 10:01 AM »
For scouting, I generally just leave my Clam Scout TC on top the sled and only flip the cover down if it is very cold, windy, or a hole looks marginally promising.  I like being able to sit up a bit higher while the Scout is on top the sled.  Has anyone sewn additional skirting to the tent to permit you to flip it over while still on top the sled?  The Drop-Down Smitty design would alleviate this, but I don't want to permanently fasten the pivoting uprights to my tub.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1001 on: Jan 27, 2014, 11:23 AM »
Yea thanks smitty, if I ever get back out that way I'll buy you a Manny's pizza. Mine cost $3.00 (for the tele skis, had everything else laying around).

Ok.....I'll be waiting.....lol...Than ks Smitty

BTW....how do you know Manny's?

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1002 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:37 AM »
I grew up in Morrison, sister and brother-in-law live there in Fulton.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #1003 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:30 PM »
Ok I guess it is time to get out on the ice. Just one more mod to my drop down smitty. I know I will be fishing a derby in a couple of weeks where I will be pulling my sled down a blacktop road for a ways. I didn't want to wear out the skis so I installed wheels.

just drilled thru the skis, slip a bolt thru and put in a hair pin.

Then I needed a place to store them when I got to the ice. Problem solved.

Now it's time to get some fish

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1004 on: Jan 30, 2014, 12:27 PM »
Great innovation, ljc2tall! Next addition might be a human-powered flight mechanism?

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1005 on: Jan 30, 2014, 02:29 PM »
Anyone thought of putting a third ski in the middle that pivots for steering? Probably won't be as stable and want to tip. Even a short ski just to get the sled going in a different direction. Just a thought.
jbird68

Offline Doubleclutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1006 on: Jan 30, 2014, 09:14 PM »
Got mine built and love the way it pulls!! Pulled it threw 4-5 inch'e of snow on the lake today with out a problem.

Check my Face Book Group Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/258599070959819/

Offline Drillguy33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1007 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:58 PM »
How long is everyone's rope? (I know a bit personal).
When I'm not fishing i'm thinking about fishing

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1008 on: Feb 01, 2014, 08:24 PM »
How long is everyone's rope? (I know a bit personal).
I bought a 25 foot rope. Pulls much better than the short rope (scrap) I originality had. I went with a fairly large diameter soft nylon braid. I stays supple and warm in the cold. 1/2 inch or 3/8 I cannot remember. I used to hook it over my neck and under each arm like a harness, but then I watched someone else pull it and he put the rope over one shoulder and under the other arm. Much more comfortable!
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline Drillguy33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1009 on: Feb 01, 2014, 08:45 PM »
Thanks I was thinking about 20 feet.  I actually use a deer dragging harness I picked up at walmart for $4 fits around both shoulders and connects at the waist.  Works great.
When I'm not fishing i'm thinking about fishing

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1010 on: Feb 01, 2014, 10:04 PM »
Got my sled all loaded up. Easy pulling over all this snow.

jbird68

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1011 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:05 AM »
Good job. What holds the auger on to the PVC? Can't really tell in the picture.
<===Lefty===

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1012 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:31 AM »
Nice job Jbird, looks great, I am too a little curious of how the auger is attached. Smitty

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1013 on: Feb 02, 2014, 08:12 AM »
was out on lake erie yesterday and my smitty sled broke :( I should have known better seeing how i only designed it for smooth inland lakes oh well, I already had plans sketched up for a new and improved one anyways lol The leg holding the ski to the sled wanted to come off so we just got a rope and tied it into place so it couldn't completely fall off. It made it back the 1hr and 15min walk but we walked slow and cautiously. Even broken it looked like I had an easier time pulling the smitty than others with their's. Will post pics when I get my new one finished but it will be a lil while yet though

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1014 on: Feb 02, 2014, 08:46 AM »
On top of the vertical posts I modified a pair of those tool holder forks. I cut off the wood screw part and had a bolt welded in its place. Then in the pvc top cap that is screwed to the top of the posts I drilled a hole and fastened it to the cap with washers and a nut.  I have photos in previous post somewhere in this thread.  You might have to go back a couple years to find it.  Once placed in the forks I just use bungee chords to hold it down.
jbird68

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1015 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:33 AM »
Thanks, I plan on making a new Sled this summer and will ad something to carry the auger instead of putting it in my sled.
<===Lefty===

Offline ICEFISH66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1016 on: Feb 05, 2014, 04:57 PM »
Great idea, ljc2tall!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1017 on: Feb 07, 2014, 02:53 PM »
I've decided the track on my Smitty is too wide.  Out on 10" of soft powder today, started out -3F, pulled the sled 1 mile each way to where we were fishing.  I figured I would give it a day so we could walk in snowmobile tracks, and there were tracks but my Smitty is too wide.  Going to modify by bringing the skis closer together so they fit in a snowmobile track.

For you guys that build them to take apart, prolly would be smart to have a wide track/narrow track option.  They are OK over a little snow but with deep powder it is still a real haul.  Need to take advantage of those snowmobile tracks.

Offline nessman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1018 on: Feb 08, 2014, 09:50 PM »
Mine...  what a difference with my Otter Wild 2 on 6" of snow. 

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1019 on: Feb 09, 2014, 07:39 AM »
Top knotch nessman, thanks for sharing your experience. Smitty

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.