Author Topic: Bells or lights on tip-ups?  (Read 9195 times)

Offline Dr. BlueGill

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • November 18, 2008
Bells or lights on tip-ups?
« on: Dec 15, 2003, 10:54 PM »
Do they still make bells for tip-ups?  I am referring to the ones I used to see that clip to the flag for night fishing.  I like the lights but god they get expensive and I got a lantern anyway.  Can you hear the bells?  Are they still available?  Any other tips and tricks for seeing the flag at night?

Thanks.....Dr. Gill
Rob Taylor

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
Re:Bells or lights on tip-ups?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2003, 05:46 AM »
Dr.  Bluegill,

I know of one trick, And that is done by our own member CtStriper. What he does for night fishing, is simple puts on some red reflective tape on his flags, and when he check his flags he just turns on his headlamp and scans the area looking for down or up flags...

-Evan

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2003, 07:48 AM »
Here is what I use on mine. Reflective tape and a small "cow bell" I got at a craft shop for 3/$1. On windy days the bells get annoying, but otherwise they work great.

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2003, 08:04 AM »
I picked up some cheap jingle bells and used wireties from bread wrappers...they work great.

Offline Dr. BlueGill

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • November 18, 2008
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2003, 09:58 AM »
How did you fasten that cow bell on there?
Rob Taylor

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2003, 04:30 PM »
Still can't beat the little lithium lights HT sells that are pretty cheap and clip real easy to flag. I also put the high vis white reflective tape on the flags also but hate shining lights every 5-10 min. over my area when fishing for eyes at night.
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2003, 05:52 PM »
I just got a couple bells the other day. I was thinking of putting them on one jig pole while I jig with the other. I never thought of attaching it to a tipups. I will try it, but the bell will only ring once when the flag goes up and if I am talking or something, I will miss it. I have reflector tape on all my tipups so when I shine a light in the general direction I can pick it up easily. Im thinking of rigging up some kind of siren that yells "you have a flag" until flag is reset of fish is caught. LOL. That would make things alot easier ;D My uncle has some old tipups that have a light built in. He doesn't have batteries in it now, but I imagine they would still work. I've never seen any tipup like it. It's on a tripod and has a regular metal flag shank which connects to the top of the tripod. When a fish hit three small hooks on the top of the tripod rotate causing the flag to spring up. The three different hooks are different sensitivities. The light is somewhere attached to the main beam of the tripod. Has anyone seen these things. They look great and are well built (he has had them for a loooooooong time), but I can't seem to find them anywhere. - Fishinut
Many are cold, but few are frozen

HoagieAB

« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2003, 03:43 PM »
We have bells that have a clasp and screw down onto your flag.  There is 2 bells on the setup and you can here them no problem at night.  Not sure where we got them, but they were cheap.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2003, 07:23 PM »
DR BlueGill,
I tied it on with some dacron.

acsacmboy

« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2003, 10:51 AM »
you would think they would work good. ill go find some and tie um to my tip ups.maybe put tape on too. they got to work great

Offline wolverine-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2003, 03:37 PM »
 I`ve been using the lithium battery-opperated lights on my tip-ups and tape them on just below the flag.As for the bells on tip-ups, not tried that.I do use the double bell you can buy that clamps on your rod tip.Those work great for the shallow water rainbows we target last ice on Higgins Lake.

Offline outdoorwally

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2004, 10:11 PM »
We use those little glow sticksThe kind that ya snap.Some of the packets that you buy come with little "clips" to clip on a bobber,rod,etc..
The clips are only cut off pieces of wire insulation of different size.So i imagine ya can make clips.But those glow sticks seem to work fairly well.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2004, 10:15 PM »
my friend made a light for his tipups using  a 9 volt battery some wire (auto wire) and a xmas light bulb he simply set it up so that  when the tip up went off and the piece of metal moved over to let the flag go it completed the connection so the little lite went on worked well on a cold sleeting night i could see the light from 50 yards away   maybe this wont work on your tip up but its work trying to  make something like it work   the only real cost is the 9 volt battery
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

trapdaddy21

« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2004, 09:27 PM »
i own two tipup lights that work really good. they are called the lighthouse and these things work great. they are about 17 bucks a piece, but i just bought one the other day for 14 at farm and fleet. in wisconsin you can only have 3 lines, so if i buy one more i'll be all set. i used to use reflective tape, but the lights are alot nicer.

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2004, 08:02 PM »
Hey Operaman that is really cool... but for $55 I will just buy bells or lights.  That just shows how far technology has come.

mossduck

« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2004, 07:42 AM »
my friend made a light for his tipups using  a 9 volt battery some wire (auto wire) and a xmas light bulb he simply set it up so that  when the tip up went off and the piece of metal moved over to let the flag go it completed the connection so the little lite went on worked well on a cold sleeting night i could see the light from 50 yards away   maybe this wont work on your tip up but its work trying to  make something like it work   the only real cost is the 9 volt battery

I've also seen the same type of set up where you use a BIC pen.  Seal off the writing side insert a ball bearing then insert the but cap with the two wires (one on each side).  When the flag goes up, the bearing rolls to the bottom touching both wires and the light goes on.

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2004, 08:27 AM »
I got the strikesensor system last year and love it. Bought rechargable batteries for it and with care it will last for years

Offline lawnguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2004, 09:52 PM »
I have 1.5" glowsticks with ruber tubes used to connect them to the tip up.  Let me know if your interested in glow sticks.
Saftey First!!

canadarocks

« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2004, 10:43 PM »
HOW do they work in the cold the golw sticks i have tryed do not like the cold they go very dim cant even see them just if youre 5 feet form them warm them up you can see them 100 feet

Offline Flagchaser59

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2004, 07:04 AM »
www.Peterson-Outdoors.com
They have bells that have holder for glow stick or bells that glow in the dark. hope this helps. :'( :'( :'(

trapdaddy21

« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2004, 08:26 PM »
if your looking for a good tip up light, check out www.icefishinglighthou se.com. i have two of the lights and think they are the best light i have ever used. i bought my lights at farm and fleet, but to people living outside of wisconsin you can order these lights on this site.

Offline lawnguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2004, 11:52 AM »
In the bitter cold I have sometimes found that they lose a little glow.  But then another one just 100ft away is still going well.  I think that it may be in the stick itself, how it does in the cold.
Saftey First!!

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Bells or lights on tip-ups?
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2005, 08:52 PM »
I use the small glow sticks myself.....I got a bunch of drug addict friends and they all go to raves so they hooked me up with like 1000 of em.  They work reallyu well.  I have noticed that certain colors work better in the cold than others....plus chemical reactions are slower in the cold, and the glow sticks are based on this principle. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.