Author Topic: Frustrated ??  (Read 5005 times)

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
Frustrated ??
« on: Dec 24, 2003, 08:41 AM »
1. The weather's to warm.
2. Its raining out.
3. No ice
4. Weather forcast doesn't look good for the next few days.
5. Getting depressed about the weather.
6. Two years ago we didn't get any good ice. And I'm going to get woried soon that it could happen again.
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline howey1176

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re:Frustrated ??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2003, 09:01 AM »
I hear ya. My 1 acre pond out back that had 6 inches of ice on it has increased to a 2 acre pond that is overflowing into the adjacent cornfield. It now has an ice cube instead of being frozen over. All of the 2 feet of snow is gone and I got stuck in the mud in my driveway this morning. My car is still sitting there and I'm waiting for my old man to get here and pull it out with his truck. I'm waiting for noon to start drinking.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2003, 09:36 AM »
It's always noon somewhere!

Offline howey1176

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2003, 09:41 AM »
I'm realizing this more and more with every passing minute. 'Bout ready to throw my drinking standards out the window. ;D

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2003, 02:09 PM »
Longbeard, you know you "could" be up here in Alaska enjoying 24 inches of ice and 30 below temps???  It gets toooo cold up here and just walking outside for 1/2 hour knocks the wind out of ya!  I sure would love some days above zero! :(
TEAM ALASKA

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2003, 02:50 PM »
boy would i ever like to go to alaska right now, it is way to warm here and last year i was probably out tons of times but it just is not the best year at all for me and to top it off we have only had a few cm's of snow until that dang rain came >:( why can't mother nature be a little more appreciate to all us icefishermen/icefisherwomen.

FORGET MILK.......GOT ICE?

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2003, 07:18 PM »
barleydog .  have you ever checked out the polar wrap heat exchanger,...(sold at Cabelas and other places)  Pre warms your air  without fogging up goggles/glasses,..I haven't used it for as cold as that,.. but it DOES make a great difference in deep cold,..I believe after you wear good clothes and hat,..youTHEN lose 70% of the heat you are loosing in deep cold from your breath,..readind a story at a trade show where they set up a deep freeze and had people sit in it lightly dressed,..in a little while they wer shivering,..after putting oin their mask,..they stopped shivering and said they felt that someone had allowed the chamber to get quite a bit warmer,..I believe it,..thats how I feel, ,..(note maybe not the best for heavy activity as it does then make you feel like you are needing a bit more air through it,)...They costs 50-65 dollars but living where you do,..I would think its a good investment. In my life I've been cold enough that I might give up my lifes savings to be warmer!  (OK its not ALL that much,......)

Longbeard, you know you "could" be up here in Alaska enjoying 24 inches of ice and 30 below temps???  It gets toooo cold up here and just walking outside for 1/2 hour knocks the wind out of ya!  I sure would love some days above zero! :(

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2003, 09:41 PM »
Barleydog, we are all jelous, gives "snowbird" a differnt meaning for some of us ... go farther north for winter instead of south.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2003, 10:34 PM »
Hollis I have looked into those masks. Not sure how long it would last?  I will order one on Friday and give a testimony the following weekend. ;D   I was thinking about the full face mask that can be utilized under a helmet.  The only thing I sould need then is gloves that stay warm and fit tight like latex gloves, and non-freezing holes!  At 20 below, it's a ton of work keeping those holes clear and working tip-ups with your bare hands. :-[  Not to mention what happens "if" you hook a nice pike that has taken all but 10 ft. of line on your tip-up.  Guess I'll stick with the shanty for now.

Ken, I think we could be called "Ptarmigan!"  We have feathers on our feet to keep us warm.... 8)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline nocash0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2003, 07:43 AM »
barleydog,put all the fan's you have and point them a little southeast to get that jet stream moving.that's all i want for x-mass.
walk the hard water side.

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2003, 08:39 AM »
I just drove on the ice with the subarban last night here in wisconsin.
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2003, 09:03 AM »
Hey Barleydog,..I hope you like the heat exchanger and I haven't steared you wrong,...yes I would love  to hear how they do in YOUR cold,...as far as freezing holes, I finally got those Frabil tip ups that are insulated and cover the holes,..at minus 15 and with a wind I had no freeze up,...as far as playing the fish,(I learned this from another board for Spring/fall boat fishing)..is that those Drs latex gloves DO help a lot,they are cheap and go on easy as long as your hands are fairly dry,...(When you need to put your hand in the water) I also use good mittens ,..the skiers have some great ones that are half price at the end of the season,..also what I do , is I have a small box,..insulated with that thermal shiny bubble wrap stuff,..(called/sold by the name  reflectix here) then I put my mittens/gloves in the box with a couple of "flea market" JON-E  hand warmers in the same box,..a little vent hole near the bottom and one near the top for air for combustion,..AND getting rid of moisture,...I rotate em,..nice to put on a warm pair of gloves,..(generally dry too) I do this in the sping / fall boat fishing season too,.if its very ,very cold,..just add another handwarmer,..I get em for 2-5 bucks around here,,again at flea markets,.you can also get those and the soild fuel sticks ones from Walmart around here fairly cheaply,.I light both ends of the sticks,..but I think the JON-E's are better,...perhaps it might help you deal with the cold hand problems.

Hollis I have looked into those masks. Not sure how long it would last?  I will order one on Friday and give a testimony the following weekend. ;D   I was thinking about the full face mask that can be utilized under a helmet.  The only thing I sould need then is gloves that stay warm and fit tight like latex gloves, and non-freezing holes!  At 20 below, it's a ton of work keeping those holes clear and working tip-ups with your bare hands. :-[  Not to mention what happens "if" you hook a nice pike that has taken all but 10 ft. of line on your tip-up.  Guess I'll stick with the shanty for now.

Ken, I think we could be called "Ptarmigan!"  We have feathers on our feet to keep us warm.... 8)

Offline Penguin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishermen walk on water!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2003, 10:19 AM »
Swalleyi,

Got room for a winter boarder?

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2003, 11:59 AM »
 :-[And I gotta site in my brand new Otter in the livingroom cause its all open water down here. I'm gonna launch the canoe! :-\
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2003, 01:42 PM »
Penguin we have a 12x12 shack we put up for the kids,im sure they wont mind if you slept there.
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2003, 01:49 PM »
No ice wheres that? ive been fishing wed, thurs, ssat,sun,mon, tues  then the rain came and now its xmas day and doesnt look like ill get back out till maybe thursday of next week
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

mooseslayer

« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2003, 11:32 PM »
HEY BARLEYDOG I KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT DEALING WITH -20 COLD.BEEN FROSTBITTEN MORE THAN ONCE.NOTHING WORSE THAN REELING THE 150YRDS BACK ONTO THE SPOOL AFTER A LONG FIGHT WITH A BIG LAKER AND REALIZING YOUR HANDS DONT WANT TO WORK ANYMORE. NO FUN WHEN ITS THAT COLD, AND NORTHERN MAINE THATS THE NORM.MOST OF THESE GUYS JUST DONT UNDERSTAND.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2003, 04:31 AM »
The ducks are swiming on the big lakes in S.W. Ct. >:(

Offline howey1176

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2003, 07:28 AM »
Getting my boat ready. Going out in that later on. Supposed to be in the mid-50's today and tomorrow. Bummer :-\

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2003, 09:01 AM »
ice here is a bit shakey too (western nh) with all the rain we have gotten.  going to head out today and check it out with limited equipment.  maybe jig for a couple hrs if i feel comfortable with the ice.
BUD

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2003, 09:20 AM »
got 6"-8" in the southern adirondacks...and the fish are hitting too ;)

captinjohn

« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2003, 09:34 AM »
Hear in west Mich I have found only 2 very small lakes that have good ice!   The bad part they are fished out already...everone else found them too!!  YA...here comes more rain....GREAT !!!   When it does get cold ....tons of snow on ice..... makes a peson want to find a new hobby!   But you know we won,t?  Right!!! ::)

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2003, 10:04 AM »
Well....if western Michigan and parts of NH are still thin ice, I guess I'm not alone after all. ;)

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2003, 10:13 AM »
I just pulled the cover off the pool.  I figure...hell, if its not going to freeze, the kids might as well use it.
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2003, 11:04 AM »
Here in Northern IL the ice that was here is now gone. We probably won't see any fishable ice for at least a week.  Temps are going to stay in the high 30s and low 40s.  It was fun while it lasted.  Caught quite a few gills and crappie.  Nothing to do now but wait for cold weather  :(

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2003, 06:43 PM »
Fustrated as heck. I got sunburn today working in the yard. I never checked the temps but i had my shirt off all day.
Stinks :(

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2003, 01:02 AM »
FIFTY DEGREES OUTSIDE!!! It's 2:00 AM on December 29 and it's fifty degrees outside. What is wrong with this picture?
FTD

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 29, 2003, 05:39 AM »
50 and full sun today. I'm startin the tomatoes! >:(

cid

« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2003, 05:55 PM »
Its supposed to get near zero here in MN this week yahoooo!!
 bad news is the rain we got has everything slick as "wet ice" now.
And its supposed to be upper 30's by week end.

Get a bit of a thrill when you bust through a 2" top layer of ice on top of 10"  :o ;D

Sold my sleds cause it quit snowing about 5 years ago, now it dont get cold either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2003, 05:55 PM »
50 degrees in NY here and still fishing was nice out today get a nice warm breeze then a cool breeze would come from the woods ice was holding up alright    but wont look good after tommorow's rain
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.