Author Topic: Camping on the ice.  (Read 72868 times)

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Camping on the ice.
« Reply #180 on: Jan 20, 2019, 10:52 AM »
My shack has a wood stove so no worries of CO , spent a few over nighters in it .
As long as you have food and drinks you can come up with the entertainment !
.    To be safe you should have a CO detector as wood stoves give off carbon monoxide which could enter into your shack if the venting isn't good or possibly a small leak in the stove itself.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #181 on: Jan 20, 2019, 03:41 PM »
I haven't gone yet this season.  Soon.

Lowaccord!  Good to hear from you.  It will be fun to read the report of your 2019 trip when it comes.  Thanks for starting this thread!

I can totally see how it wouldn't be for some people.

Yeah, it's not for everyone, but we totally enjoy it, as you can hopefully tell.  ;D
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #182 on: Jan 23, 2019, 06:01 PM »
My wife thinks you are all nuts.  But she won't even go fishing with me - so what does she know.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #183 on: Jan 23, 2019, 11:35 PM »
Lowaccord!  Good to hear from you.  It will be fun to read the report of your 2019 trip when it comes.  Thanks for starting this thread!

Yeah, it's not for everyone, but we totally enjoy it, as you can hopefully tell.  ;D

Likewise Steve.  When you can do it right and you know you are beating the elements it gives you a feeling that is hard to describe.  When you do it wrong its painfully cold. 

Last year was the warmest lows I ever camped in.  25-27.  Relative humidity 100.  Snow.  Froze my you know what's off.  Dry -6 was much more comfortable. 

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #184 on: Jan 23, 2019, 11:42 PM »
Sounds like fun, but I'm not sure I could call it camping.. I'd just be fishing the whole time. Kind of like renting a "sleeper shack" on the ice... I'd just be fishing the entire time, I can sleep when I go home!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #185 on: Jan 24, 2019, 07:56 AM »
Awesome thread! Been reading it for a while now. I think I'll finally be giving this a shot this year, at least twice! The test run will be for a night in front of my friends camp in NH for the Derby. The second trip will be for a long weekend on Champlain!
Tight Lines!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #186 on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:11 AM »
I haven't really seen this covered yet reading the whole thread, at least not in depth. But what are some of the things you guys pack and prep for food? Easy and quick, minimal clean up, easy to pack, don't take a lot of room etc. I think we're just going to bring a tiny portable grill. we'll only be out for a weekend
Tight Lines!

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #187 on: Jan 24, 2019, 10:22 AM »
I haven't really seen this covered yet reading the whole thread, at least not in depth. But what are some of the things you guys pack and prep for food? Easy and quick, minimal clean up, easy to pack, don't take a lot of room etc. I think we're just going to bring a tiny portable grill. we'll only be out for a weekend

Our usual on-the-ice, overnight menu covers 3 meals:

All meals have Powerade Zero and Water available.  Hydration is a key to staying warm.

Dinner: Something greasy-gassy to stoke the furnace

-Brisket sandwiches: Brisket vacuum sealed and frozen well in advance, heated in water (still in the sealed vacuum bag), served on onion rolls.  We actually wore nitrile gloves to eat these this year.
-Hot Tang: Made from the water in which the brisket bags were warmed.
-Veggies: Baby carrots and sugar snap peas.

Cold Breakfast: Gotta be quick 'cause this is fishing time.

-Eggs boiled at home, salt, pepper
-Ham slices grilled and vacuum packed at home.  I make a pile of this each season and throw them in the freezer.
-Nature valley granola cups
-Frusion yogurt drinks

Lunch: Important calories for packing out

-Dinty Moore stew
-Dave's Killer bread, "good seed"
-Fruit cups

Extras

-Jerky
-CLIF bars
-Other granola bar items

Most if not all food items stored in a cooler with 2L bottle of water, never freezes.

Current stove is a tiny propane/butane burner that mounts on a disposable canister.

The stew takes the most prep and even that is pretty easy.  A few paper towels to wipe out the pan and cleanup is good enough until home. 

Paper plates, bowls.  Disposable utensils.

I'm eager to hear other menus and get ideas.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #188 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:39 AM »
As planned, we slept on the ice Thursday Night before the Derby. The plan was to jig for cusk and set cusk traps. We were fishing a super steep drop off on a rocky point in Meredith Bay. I set up by myself before AlMAcdougal could meet me there. I got there around 4:30, set up the insulated Clam 6 man Hub. Only needed 4 tie downs. I put down a tarp, foam floor, then threw in our 2 cots. we had zero degree sleeping bags, warm thermal clothes. It didn't start raining until AFTER I got set up, so that was great!

The Fishing: I probably started fishing around 7:00 by the time I set up, drilled my holes, got bait and put in traps. Al met up with me around 8-8:30. Well the jigging and cusk traps didn't go so well..... we fished water from 25-46 feet. we fished off the point, off the drop off, and even in a 46 foot bowl. Al caught a cusk around 9-10 on a cusk trap in 40ish fow. I caught one first thing in the morning on one of my traps in 40 feet of water on the drop off. the fishing wasn't great, but a fun experience. Unfortunately being dark and raining we didn't take as many pictures as we would have liked. but I've got some here. we jigged until about 11PM with very limited success, chummed and all just couldn't find them. The foam floor and tarp were HUGE for keeping us warm and most importantly, dry! we ran the heater right before bed to change into new clothes and then shut if off before going to bed. That fishing rod with that cusk..... came up with that cusk! I thought I had a giant on. It's funny around 10PM when I made my rounds to check bait on the cusk traps I pulled up a rubber shad lure and thought that was interesting, then out of that same hole I caught a fishing rod!

Tight Lines!

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #189 on: Feb 11, 2019, 11:06 AM »
Would love to give something like that a try.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #190 on: Feb 11, 2019, 11:27 AM »
I have an icebox, which helps to easily make an igloo using snow you pack in a form. Always wanted to try spending a night on the ice, I might get may chance this week, supposed to get 2 feet on the ice. Not good for fishing, but should make a nice shelter.

https://grandshelters.com/icebox-igloo-tools/

Offline ammondude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #191 on: Feb 11, 2019, 11:46 AM »
I have an icebox, which helps to easily make an igloo using snow you pack in a form. Always wanted to try spending a night on the ice, I might get may chance this week, supposed to get 2 feet on the ice. Not good for fishing, but should make a nice shelter.

That sounds like a blast! Having slept in snow caves and other show shelters before, I'd imagine that takes a good while to set up the full igloo. Having enough time to get setup before nightfall would be my main concern, but I bet it would be warm.

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #192 on: Feb 11, 2019, 11:50 AM »

As a kid, we used to build these every winter! We always used a cardboard box to do the building. Great memories!

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #193 on: Feb 11, 2019, 11:53 AM »

Do you use a heat source on the inside or just rely on the igloo insulating your body heat?
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #194 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:14 PM »
Do you use a heat source on the inside or just rely on the igloo insulating your body heat?

We would go snow camping with Boy Scouts every Presidents day weekend. Even if it is 20 below, when you are inside a snow shelter, it is around freezing. With your body heat, it usually ends up close to 30- if you light a candle, the inside starts to melt. We would use a decent 3 season bag, and a closed cell foam pad, all in a bivy sack. A snow shelter is a lot more insulated than even an insulated tent.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #195 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:27 AM »
That is awesome. I was watching videos last night about that tool for making igloos. Looked pretty fun but man is it expensive.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Albertan

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I need more days on the water....
« Reply #196 on: Feb 22, 2019, 08:10 PM »
Great read!  Thanks for all the info and and stories.  I hope to do this with my son as well, and was referred to this thread by another member. :)

Can I confirm that you guys are laying a tarp on the ice (after clearing a spot for your 9416i), and then putting the foam floor tiles down on top of that?  I think it was asked before, but you've had no significant issue with the tarp freezing in?  Thanks again for the info.  I may not get to doing the overnighter until next season.  But it gives me a head start on the checklist. ;)

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #197 on: Feb 23, 2019, 08:43 AM »
Can I confirm that you guys are laying a tarp on the ice (after clearing a spot for your 9416i), and then putting the foam floor tiles down on top of that?  I think it was asked before, but you've had no significant issue with the tarp freezing in? 

In our case, we have some floor covered by tarp, some by foam floor tiles, and some bare.  Haven't had any issues with tarp or pads getting stuck.

We've found that the pads we use provide traction even if the area near the heater melts and ices over.  Tarps can get slick--we use them to put gear on, but not for walking/standing.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip!   Warm sleeping and tight lines.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #198 on: Oct 29, 2019, 11:21 AM »
I知 glad FG Steve directed me here! I am planning to camp out at least one night when I am fishing in South Dakota this year! I知 big on lists especially when it comes to trips like this, I am starting it now so I can be ready. Looks like I will be adding foam interlocking mats to the list. I generally use my otter lodge flip over as my primary fishing set up but I also have a 6120i Eskimo hub that will be what I setup for camping on the ice. As of right now looks like this is going to be a solo adventure so I want to be prepared! I plan to keep the meals pretty simple. Started using a food jar a couple years ago for stuff like chili and a few different soups, I typically have a cooking kit that contains everything needed to fry some fish up on the spot and with my new cordless electric bubba knife it should make it a breeze to fillet fish up on the ice. I知 usually a bit over the top when it comes to prep so I will most likely set my shack up and do a dry run in the yard this fall sometime. Still trying to find the right cot to use and also gathering up the odds and ends, ordered a couple milk crates from amazon to store 20lbs propane cylinders in and also flip them over for bedside tables. Definitely planning on using another sleeping bag as a pad for the cot And my 0 degree sleeping bag to slip into when I知 not reeling in Walleyes during the night! Looks like it痴 been a bit since this thread has been added to but I hope this sparks some renewed interest. I plan to give a full play by play after I get back from my trip with a similar format to FG Steve. I wish it was ice season!!!

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #199 on: Oct 29, 2019, 05:16 PM »
I used to use indoor outdoor carpet when I stayed on the ice. Man that fake grass has a lot of uses
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #200 on: Oct 30, 2019, 09:47 AM »
I have carpet inside my sled for the flip and just stand in the sled to take off my boots and get into bed.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #201 on: Dec 18, 2019, 02:36 PM »
Our overnight is coming up after Christmas.  Been looking forward to it all year.

Who else is planning an overnight trip this season?  It would be great to get some new trip reports.

Nosaj?
doctorgee?
lowaccord?
bassin?
ActiveTrapChecker?

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #202 on: Dec 18, 2019, 02:53 PM »
I'll be doing a couple for sure. Buddy of mine bought a wall tent for hunting and said he wanted to spend a whole weekend on the ice in it. And I'll probably spend the night before sturgeon spearing opener in my 949i in physical and mental preparation for staring down a hole for 6 hours.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #203 on: Dec 18, 2019, 05:45 PM »
I still havent done it..ive got the polarbird hub and heat.need a cot.i dont know why i dont have the balls to do it.sometimes im out till almost 2am.might as well stay there..

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #204 on: Dec 18, 2019, 05:54 PM »
I知 about a month away from my first trip. I have been putting most of my time into deer hunting the past month but now I知 done with it and ready to hit the ice, but.... it looks like it might be awhile yet for central Iowa, what else is new? But my overnight is in South Dakota so no worries on ice! I will be posting my gear list soon for some of you more experienced folks to look over, I welcome any input!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #205 on: Dec 18, 2019, 05:56 PM »
I still havent done it..ive got the polarbird hub and heat.need a cot.i dont know why i dont have the balls to do it.sometimes im out till almost 2am.might as well stay there..

And why not me? Cause even though I spend almost all day on the ice, there is nothing better for these old bones than a nice comfy bed at the end of the day.  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #206 on: Dec 18, 2019, 10:02 PM »
I'm definitely planning to try it this season. I've learned a lot from this thread and I'll post about my trip on here for others to learn from.  I have an Otter XTH Resort and for the trip I've added foam flooring for half the shanty, upgraded to Big Buddy Heater, a cot, an Exped Megamat 10, and a 0 degree sleeping bag.  The cot/sleeping pad fit way better than I was expecting when I set it up this weekend in the driveway to check it out. I could definitely fit two cots in there. I'm looking forward to it!

I actually think I accidentally started a group camp out here in Ohio. I posted on another local fishing forum looking for tips/tricks and it turned into a bunch of people saying they would love to do a big outing. We'll see...

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #207 on: Dec 18, 2019, 10:14 PM »
I stayed out till midnight once at 11-mile in colorado at 8700 ft. 30-35F below  ****censored word****ing crazy. I fell asleep in my hut with the coleman lantern going woke up barely alive the ice hole was frozen solid the hut was frozen solid the truck was frozen solid at 11am the next day. Amazing anyone made it out alive!

Nah f that baloney! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #208 on: Dec 19, 2019, 03:54 AM »
I'm definitely planning to try it this season. I've learned a lot from this thread and I'll post about my trip on here for others to learn from.  I have an Otter XTH Resort and for the trip I've added foam flooring for half the shanty, upgraded to Big Buddy Heater, a cot, an Exped Megamat 10, and a 0 degree sleeping bag.  The cot/sleeping pad fit way better than I was expecting when I set it up this weekend in the driveway to check it out. I could definitely fit two cots in there. I'm looking forward to it!

I actually think I accidentally started a group camp out here in Ohio. I posted on another local fishing forum looking for tips/tricks and it turned into a bunch of people saying they would love to do a big outing. We'll see...

I use a very similar system but I add a blue foam camp mat under my air mattress (Neoair).  Idea being that by insulating your air mattress from underneath, it has a better chance of retaining your body heat.  May not be necessary with the exped, but might be worth considering. 

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #209 on: Dec 19, 2019, 09:50 AM »
I use a very similar system but I add a blue foam camp mat under my air mattress (Neoair).  Idea being that by insulating your air mattress from underneath, it has a better chance of retaining your body heat.  May not be necessary with the exped, but might be worth considering.
  Yeah, I'm hoping the foam flooring that I'm going to have on the ice will help keep cold from coming through.  The Megamat 10 also has an R-value of 9.5, so I'm hoping that helps significantly.  I also have an extra 0 degree sleeping bag that I may bring.

That cot is 80x32 for size reference and is on sale for $43 on Amazon right now.  Search "Coleman Camping Cot with Side Table"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.