Author Topic: Sharpening auger blades  (Read 1567 times)

Offline 2dogs

• IceShanty Rookie
Sharpening auger blades
« on: Feb 04, 2011, 08:19 PM »
Hey everyone, do you touch up the edge on your auger blades with a file or do you just replace them with new ones. if you sharpen them is it very hard to get the correct angle? I wanted to put new blades on my auger before I go fishing tomorrow but Sportsmans doesn't have the correct ones and last weekend I really had a tough time getting my auger to cut , I had to push down on it fairly hard or it just bounced.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sharpening auger blades
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2011, 08:53 PM »
The Strikemaster Lazer sharpener is actually really good on auger blades.  Or, you can buy a new set and send your old ones back East to be professionally sharpened.

Jim

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2011, 11:10 AM »
My friend sharpened his and i think they are duller now i have never try'd it but would imagine it is a lot like sharpening a chsisle glue some fine grit sand paper to a piece of glass go slow and don't do the flat side. if that does not work Cabelas has some replacements not shure what kind.

Offline 2dogs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2011, 08:32 PM »
Thanks for the info. I tried sharpening mine with a file and only made it worse, thank God another one in our group brought another auger :P

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No place I'd rather be, 'cept (ice)fishin' !!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2011, 08:41 PM »
Hey Guys,

I've been a metal worker for over 25yrs. I can be pretty dang accurate w/ a grinder, file, etc. and still can't get the re-sharpening right on these blades like it needs to be.

Dakotaelkslayer mention the Strikemaster Lazer sharpener. I picked one up this season but haven't needed to use it yet. Just feeling good about having it when I do need it....Hogger

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2011, 10:43 PM »
Rob, when I bought mine this season, I gave it to a buddy to test out on his electric auger blades since I didn't want to dull my LazerMag blades. ::)  On his, it got the blades nice and sharp.  Of course, my blades BROKE before I even got a chance to use it!

Jim

Offline iwantabuggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2011, 10:22 AM »
I've sharpened them before and had mixed results.  I've been successful some times, but I think I have a set that are ruined right now.  I'm gonna see if I can borrow Hoggers sharpener and try it out next time I need to sharpen some.  I also just recently ordered a new set.
Keep your gun powder dry and your fishing hooks wet.

Offline Iceflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never be late for. Church, Work, and Fishin.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2011, 12:25 AM »
I would get new blades.  Maybe send in the old ones to be resharpened by the manufacturer.  I got my auger last year and purchased an extra set of blades with it.  This year I bought another set of blades and next year I'll do the same.  Once they get dull I'll swap them out and by the time they all need sharpening I'll send them in together.  Helps save on shipping.  Just a thought. ???

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No place I'd rather be, 'cept (ice)fishin' !!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2011, 05:09 PM »
Just to let you guys know, I am still on the same set of blades for 3yrs straight now. No sharpening and just as lethal on the ice now as when I bought 'em. I don't know if I got a harder set or what, but I can still drill a hole in 16" of ice with about 26 turns of the auger. I am very conscious about how I treat my auger when the blade protector is off....Hogger

Offline kousui

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2011, 12:21 PM »
i used a flat smooth file, as opposed to a flat bas-tard or mill smooth, and they cut like new. the key is to maintain the same angle, file from the toe to the heal, and do not file the flat side of the blade.

Offline fishslayerX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2011, 01:02 PM »
I may have to sharpen mine now, I was pulling it out of the trunk set it down on the head on the road looked down and the cover had fallen off, the blades are all messed up now, dumb move on my part I think I'm just going to get new ones heck :tipup:

Offline Gorilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2011, 01:33 PM »
I am on my third season with my blades on my hand auger and I do think they need to be sharpened.   I have one extra blade, would it be worth changing just one?

I am going for a weekend of fishing in NY and and will probably be my last trip of the season.

Do Not underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2011, 02:56 PM »
i used a flat smooth file, as opposed to a flat bas-tard or mill smooth, and they cut like new. the key is to maintain the same angle, file from the toe to the heal, and do not file the flat side of the blade.

The most important aspect of sharpening auger blades!

Ted

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.