The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pike fishing  (Read 853 times)

Offline t-hound

• IceShanty Rookie
Pike fishing
« on: Feb 12, 2008, 09:13 PM »
I'd really like to catch some pike and I was wondering if the pike will start moving into shallower water right now since it is warming up.  Also is it better to fish live bait or cut bait.  And what depth ( mid column, foot off the bottom).  Just wondering if anybody had any good ideas.

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Pike fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2008, 10:22 PM »
Welcome aboard T-hound.we fish pike in about 12 to 16 FOW and pick up about 2 foot from bottom seems like they like this depth close to a shore line with a dropoff.Larger size live minnows or large smelt should get them.If Your going for pike use at least 2 foot steel leader and quickstrike rigs work the best.The waters weve been fishing in I`d advise 50 pound line and at least 30 pound steel leader and 50 would be better.
Good luck and catch em BIG  ;D
Do`nt forget to add Your team Montana logo to Your profile.Jigmaster5000 has some good instructions for doing this on the support team Montana post.  :)

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline t-hound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2008, 11:06 PM »
I really appreciate your input but what the heck is a quick strike rig?  Kind of new to the big heavy tackle. Thanks man

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2008, 01:47 PM »

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline MTpike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Catch and Release into BACON GREASE!!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2008, 05:36 PM »
The best depth kind of varies from lake to lake and time of year, but I've found the most consitent fish producing depth to be around 5-10 feet. If I can see the bottom, I put a tip-up there. One of the lakes I fished this year the best depth was 2-3 feet deep. I think they can be found QUITE shallow many times.
Pike usually swim "belly to the bottom" but will readily come up the water column if they see food. I like to drop my bait to the bottom and then pull in a couple feet of line.
As far as bait goes, smelt or big minnows (like MR. Marty said) work great. In some cases the live minnows out-produce the smelt considerably, but often they produce equal results. Match the size of  bait to the size of pike you're targeting.
Quick strike rigs seem to work the best. Just make sure they're NOT made of monofilament, If it doesnt break on the first fish It'll break on the second fish. Just lately I've started using Kahle Circle Hooks to try them out. They work great. I've missed very few fish with these. It hooks them deep in the corner of the mouth almost every time. They seem to work best with smelt :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

GOOD LUCK

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.