Author Topic: Wire shy?  (Read 6158 times)

Offline walkonwater1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wire shy?
« on: Dec 16, 2007, 06:19 PM »
Has anyone found Eyes to be wire shy?
What type leaders are you using?
I am new to targeting eyes and my tip-ups are rigged with standard braid with 10lbs P-line flouro leader. I will inevitably lose some rigs to pike but I don't want eyes to shy away by using wire.
Kids that hunt, trap and fish don't mug little old ladies.

Big moves to find'em, small moves to catch'em!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Wire shy?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2007, 06:20 PM »
I don't use wire for walleye..  no need

Offline icefishinman88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2007, 06:56 PM »
We dont use wire for walleye either.We put 6lb mono on as a leader.

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2007, 09:29 PM »
I don't use wire for walleyes, but have caught some big ones when pike fishing using my black wire quickstrikes, with big bait (8-10").

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2007, 01:19 PM »
I just use fluorocarbon for eyes....no real need to use wire, unless you're also fishing for pike.

Offline bigfoot697

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2007, 04:24 PM »
invisa leaders,they real do work on line shy finicky gamefish.

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2007, 12:39 PM »
try using some fireline crystal, 14 or 20lb, its more abrasion resistant than mono and that stuff is pretty much invisable under the ice
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline pickledpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2007, 12:42 AM »
i am guessing you are using larger lures and bait since the northerns keep taking them. when i have been in this situation i have found that a small nylon or steel leader won't spook the walleyes too much especially in less that clear waters.  if i am jigging i will use a 6-8 inch leader because there is less likelihood of the northeres swallowing the whole setup.  if the bait is on a tip-up will will use a longer leader in case the bait is smallowed deeper.  for me it is easier to find small diameter leaders in the do it yourself style.  this also allows you to make small leaders and quick strikes which are not always easy to come by. 

Offline T.I.Handyman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2008, 10:04 PM »
I don't use wire for eyes or even pike 6lbs for eyes and 20lbs leaders for pike. as far as breaking off ,not often and out fish my buddies 2 to 1. most of them just tie there hook right on there tipup line.

Multi-Master

« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2008, 07:38 AM »
I typically have 2 pre-rigged traps.  1 with an invisa leader for pike I run during the day.
1 with 8lb mono leader I run after dark for eyes.  I do this because I got tired of pike cutting my mono leaders.  Once in a while I will pick up an eye with the invisa leader.  But I really believe that when neutral they will shy away from wire leaders.

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2008, 02:12 AM »
Malin Boa No-kink  ;)
-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

Offline basskiller46

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I swear I had a Bite"
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2008, 07:32 PM »
use power pro nothing will go through that

Offline Johnny3Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2008, 02:54 PM »
I prefer spider wire (not really a wire), we catch tons of walleye with it and have only had two pike cut through it in the last 5 or 6 years and one of those I question how well the knot was tied to the hook.  I think it slipped.
J3W

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2008, 12:19 PM »
I don't use wire leaders for walleye. Normally 10# test. Sometimes a bit heavier. I've never lost a fish to cut line. And I've caught some pretty big ones. Caught alot over 10 pounds.

Offline Todd_J

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2008, 04:44 PM »
I don't use wire/leaders for walleye.  I use 6-8 lb (sometimes 4 lb) test floro or mono on a reel with a decent drag system.  Walleye are about as touchy/spooky as stream trout.... 

Offline 515deerhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • bobbers down
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2008, 12:51 PM »
no wire, wire bad.  6lb mono,i like ttrilene micro ice with a octopus hook and a verey small weight.  dont like anything that clamps to line, it can mark it.  :icefish:

flags up and bobbers down  l.o.l 8)

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2008, 09:38 PM »
I just got home from afghanistan and im a little rusty on my ice fishing, I have always targeted perch and pike in the past, but now im chompin at the bit to lay some eyes on the hard water. I was not reall sure where to start so I went out and bought a "medium" weight rod and some 6lb mono and a few #3 & 4 chubby darters. I know now after reading thies postes not to use a steel leader. does anyone have some info on a good jigging set up for eyes

Offline 515deerhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • bobbers down
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2008, 03:36 AM »
I just got home from afghanistan and im a little rusty on my ice fishing, I have always targeted perch and pike in the past, but now im chompin at the bit to lay some eyes on the hard water. I was not reall sure where to start so I went out and bought a "medium" weight rod and some 6lb mono and a few #3 & 4 chubby darters. I know now after reading thies postes not to use a steel leader. does anyone have some info on a good jigging set up for eyes

welcome home, brother in arms.  i like med. rod 6 lb line.  iuse alot of spoons c,darters swiming minows.  i also like live bait and dont forget to tip spoons with minow head

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2008, 05:28 AM »
When fishing in the big waters and using tipups it`s a must to use wire as sometimes it might be 3 to 5 hours before You get back to check the traps.
After having big fish come through and stripping off and busting 30# firewire went to 100# firewire and 90 pound surflon wire leaders for them big old toothey critters as the 30# steel braid leaders were getting frayed real bad and a couple of them were chewed through.

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2008, 01:01 PM »
welcome home, brother in arms.  i like med. rod 6 lb line.  iuse alot of spoons c,darters swiming minows.  i also like live bait and dont forget to tip spoons with minow head
  ok cool, I just wanted to make sure I was headed in the right direction. thanks for the info

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2008, 02:30 PM »
When fishing in the big waters and using tipups it`s a must to use wire as sometimes it might be 3 to 5 hours before You get back to check the traps.
Not around here that wouldn't happen... Never Unattended. 

Offline rocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2008, 07:13 PM »
i have found eyes to be extremely line shy so that is why i use 6 to 8 pound floro

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is not only a sport, but a Dedication
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2008, 03:32 PM »
Mrmarty why would you leave your tipups unattended for 3 to 5 hours. That's plain silly brother. 100# and 90# is a little overboard my man.  Come on blue your better than that.

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2009, 05:12 PM »
no need for a leader walleyes dont have sharp teeth like a Northern does..............all I use is 4lb or 6lb fireline

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2009, 11:33 PM »
As MrMarty was referencing, especially at ft peck you will sometimes have your tipups 6-8 miles from camp.... so you set them at night, check them at 3-4am and come back out at 7-8
l

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.