Author Topic: Shallow or Deep for walleye?  (Read 13657 times)

Offline Adam Bomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Walleye Fanatic
Re: Shallow or Deep for walleye?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:58 PM »
That would depend on what "deep water" is on your lake. Where i fish eyes, deep water is 23' and theyre hugging bottom, as they do most of the time. But, early and late theyll suspend about 5' off the bottom. Dont seem to mark or catch many higher than that.
Get your MOJO rising.
Adam

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 14, 2009, 08:01 AM »
Thanks fishstalker I'll definitely give that a try. So you go to Paul Smiths eh?

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 14, 2009, 06:13 PM »
it does really all depend on what the lake looks like. As for me, i fish Lake Champlain, and most the walleye during the day are suspended over 30-80 feet of water.

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:17 PM »
Ive been fishing a small lake,deepest water maby 22ft....1/3 of it is a weed flat...then theres a narrow part only 100 feet wide which drops right off to 10 feet 15 ft off the shore and is about 20 ft in the middle...and an area that drops off to 12 ft right off of some rocks 20 ft out....and then a spot that drops off nearby some weeds to 10-15 ft...idk what the best to fish would be?i tried both the past 2 days w no luck at all...ive been putting tipups out w medium and large baits and jigging a little as well...i cant figure the place out,ive been trying to get pike or eyes and i just get skunked besides some bluegills...idk if i should just keep looking or what?the lakes very small so those are the only 3 spots that seem worthwhile besides the 5 ft flats

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:34 PM »
Ive been fishing a small lake,deepest water maby 22ft....1/3 of it is a weed flat...then theres a narrow part only 100 feet wide which drops right off to 10 feet 15 ft off the shore and is about 20 ft in the middle...and an area that drops off to 12 ft right off of some rocks 20 ft out....and then a spot that drops off nearby some weeds to 10-15 ft...idk what the best to fish would be?i tried both the past 2 days w no luck at all...ive been putting tipups out w medium and large baits and jigging a little as well...i cant figure the place out,ive been trying to get pike or eyes and i just get skunked besides some bluegills...idk if i should just keep looking or what?the lakes very small so those are the only 3 spots that seem worthwhile besides the 5 ft flats

Pikeman,

You may very well be doing everything right. Two days is too little time to determine failure. The weather conditions alone (Barometer, fronts etc..) could have just shut down the fish. Do not give up yet on what you have done so far. Also, place one trap in the 5' weeds you mentioned. I get many eyes after dark, or early morning in skinny water from 2-5' deep adjacent to deeper water/steep drops.
I also like the sounds of the rocks. Hit them hard for sure, and shallower near by in case they stage onthe rocks during down times. Also down size the baits for the smaller water at times. If there is a steep cliff like drop, sometimes the eyes like to coral baitfish along these.

Good luck and do not give up without a fight :tipup:

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #35 on: Jan 22, 2009, 06:12 PM »
OHH WOW!!! HERE ON CHAMPLIN I CAN HAVE 15 TRAPS OUT, AND BE RUNNING TWO HANDLINES IN MY SHANTY AT THE SAME TIME.......BIG DIFFERENCE!!! WOW!!!!
Must be nice man! 3 where I'm at. Most of my bigger eyes come out of deeper water,my 10lb+ers came out of 22-35fow all after midnite. With that many boards out as you have ,I'd have that area covered like no other. Big fish like deep water,really is lake specific when it gets down to it though. At nite try 3-5ft off the deck.
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.