Author Topic: Tip Ups for walleyes  (Read 3433 times)

Offline Doop

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip Ups for walleyes
« on: Jul 19, 2009, 09:56 AM »
I've never actually rigged a tip up for walleyes....the water we fish has northerns and walleyes....both run on the big side.  I know a majority, if not all, will use live bait...my question is how do you rig it?

Typically we would use large smelt on homemade quick strike rigs.  With live bait, do you use a single hook....what are your thoughts?
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Tip Ups for walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2009, 10:41 AM »
I use quickstrikes for  pike too, but singles are the way to go with walleyes. I use a single bait hook with a fathead or a shiner rigged right off the bottom. You need to watch your tip ups pretty close because walleyes are more apt to drop the bait than pike.

You will need to use a mono or fluro leader. If keep the steel on, you can forget about bigger walleyes

Offline Doop

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Tip Ups for walleyes
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2009, 04:09 PM »
I have been more apt to put my bait about a foot off the bottom too.....but it seems that walleyes and probably northerns too have an easier time of seeing things that are above them......would it be better to place your bait a little higher up in the water column so the fish can move UP to eat?  I can see having it a foot up from the bottom would get those bottom huggers....but how many fish do you miss by having it a foot up? 
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.