Author Topic: Where to start looking?  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
Where to start looking?
« on: Nov 18, 2009, 05:54 PM »
Ok, so this lake is pretty close to my house and it's where I do most of my fishing.  http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/fishing/programs/lakemapping/pdfs/Wehrspann.pdf

I usually target panfish but this year I've decided to go after the walleyes.  However, I'm not sure where to start looking.  It's a relatively shallow lake except the deep channel running through it.  The channel doesn't have a lot of turns or bends but has a lot of steep walls.  There is an old road bed running through the middle of the lake close to that 18' depression and kinda east to west but it is very shallow most of the way until it reaches the channel.  I don't know about any rock piles, reefs or gravel bars otherwise.  Considering the area I suspect it's mostly soft bottom.

I was thinking about targeting the sharp drop offs along the channel but I'm not sure if I should be on top of the shelf or fishing right in the middle of the channel.  There is large wide point on the northwest corner of the lake.  I was thinking of setting out my tip ups there, deep to shallow.  I've always heard roadbeds are good but I have no clue how to go about fishing it.  What do you think?  Any advise?

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: Where to start looking?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2009, 06:13 PM »
This is always interesting, where to start??? The two spots that have my attention is the channel on the SE side with a steep drop off and what appears to be a hump right near it. Also on the NW side, the wide bay, the point to the right. Can't really see the depths, but those areas just seem to grab me. Just curious to see how others more knowledgeable than me(I guarantee) give advice. Basically I want to see if I'm lost and wasting my time or in the ballpark???

Thanks for letting me play...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.