Author Topic: Side By Side Holes In The Shanty - Not Effective???  (Read 2588 times)

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
Side By Side Holes In The Shanty - Not Effective???
« on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:31 AM »
I have decided/concluded that two guys in a shanty, with two baits dancing around, is far less effective than just me in the shanty. Have you guys noticed this? Especially for Walleye
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Side By Side Holes In The Shanty - Not Effective???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:41 AM »
I decided that it was better if I ran both the lines myself- one with a jig and one with a minnow.

I used this with lake trout, but I am certain it would work with walleyes as well.

The jig attracted them and, for some, it was what they wanted. For others, they then bit the minnow.

It was odd that they did both, and I could run both myself.

Here is a video of what it looked like. Does someone have a walleye video of the same?

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:30 AM »
My personal opinion is when fishing two baits (dead stick with a minnow) in one hole and then jigging the other hole I end up with more entanglements than it's worth. Mind you these holes are only a foot or two apart. I like to have multiple rods baited ready to go. If the fish are biting aggressively dealing with one rod is more than enough. Fishing outside a shanty is a whole different story. Now you have some distance between lines so you are covering a bigger area as fish move through. Just my two cents.   Lou

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:34 AM »
never seems to affect my catch rate, we usually due pretty even, though sometimes a foot or two can make a world of difference on a perch bite...but one keeps the fish around while the other is in hooking, works well for us.
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:36 AM »
I decided that it was better if I ran both the lines myself- one with a jig and one with a minnow.

I used this with lake trout, but I am certain it would work with walleyes as well.

The jig attracted them and, for some, it was what they wanted. For others, they then bit the minnow.

It was odd that they did both, and I could run both myself.

Here is a video of what it looked like. Does someone have a walleye video of the same?

So cool! Fish behavior almost mimics that of a housecat. "something" triggers them and it on

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:38 AM »
My personal opinion is when fishing two baits (dead stick with a minnow) in one hole and then jigging the other hole I end up with more entanglements than it's worth. Mind you these holes are only a foot or two apart. I like to have multiple rods baited ready to go. If the fish are biting aggressively dealing with one rod is more than enough. Fishing outside a shanty is a whole different story. Now you have some distance between lines so you are covering a bigger area as fish move through. Just my two cents.   Lou

I think that is the key, two different offerings. I always have 3 rods at the ready myself. Switch them up often

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:40 AM »
never seems to affect my catch rate, we usually due pretty even, though sometimes a foot or two can make a world of difference on a perch bite...but one keeps the fish around while the other is in hooking, works well for us.

I have noticed it makes no difference with the panny's! Infact, yes, you can up your total with two holes

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:07 AM »
With two man shacks a lot of times you end up competing for the fish with your buddy. I'd rather be in two one man shacks spread apart enough to talk, but compete a little less. Then there is the sharing of the sonar, sometimes people have a tendency to hog the strike zone. Now my buddies all have their own setup, shack, sonar, and auger. We start fishing where we think the fish will be, if they're not there, we go scouting in separate directions. When someone locates the school he shoots a text to the other to come over. We all do better this way, divide and concur.  We cover more ground and usually get on a bite quicker. With the fish located then we hang out together, cook a lunch, shoot the bull and enjoy the fishing...

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:12 AM »
With the two man shanties we would drill 3 holes, one for the vexilar in the middle. We could see both lures, but it can get cluttered. And yes we would occasionally get our lines tangled.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:42 AM »
I found fishing with a buddy in the shack helps my catch rate. We use two different offerings. He will use a slow approach like a jigging spoon with a minnow. I will use an aggressive approach with a rattle bait and minnow. Most time we will see the fish dart in and hit the rattle bait. Other times they will inspect the rattle bait but take the slower moving jigging spoon.

Most time when we're out, I catch the numbers but he will catch the size.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2018, 01:11 PM »
I found fishing with a buddy in the shack helps my catch rate. We use two different offerings. He will use a slow approach like a jigging spoon with a minnow. I will use an aggressive approach with a rattle bait and minnow. Most time we will see the fish dart in and hit the rattle bait. Other times they will inspect the rattle bait but take the slower moving jigging spoon.

Most time when we're out, I catch the numbers but he will catch the size.

So what you’re saying is that you use your buddy as chum so you can get the bites?

I totally agree lol. It helps to have different offerings down to see what the fish want. Even if you aren’t using the “bait and switch” method (fish inspects the rattle but hits the minnow, or visa-versa) it can help in figuring out if they want a larger or smaller profile jig. Do they want a 5mm or 3mm jig? Is three spikes too many? Is one not enough? It can also help determine color selection.

It’s no different than doing it yourself. Having 2 guys just makes the whole process easier.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2018, 01:20 PM »
So what you’re saying is that you use your buddy as chum so you can get the bites?

I totally agree lol. It helps to have different offerings down to see what the fish want. Even if you aren’t using the “bait and switch” method (fish inspects the rattle but hits the minnow, or visa-versa) it can help in figuring out if they want a larger or smaller profile jig. Do they want a 5mm or 3mm jig? Is three spikes too many? Is one not enough? It can also help determine color selection.

It’s no different than doing it yourself. Having 2 guys just makes the whole process easier.

Sssshhhhhh. I can't have him finding out  ;)

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2018, 02:03 PM »
one caught the same bluegill at the same time in 2 holes in our shak, but we do pretty good with 2 holes honestly

Offline walleyed1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2018, 07:00 PM »
I normally fish alone but brought the wife last weekend and we both fished in the shanty all day without any issues. I think it actually helped catch more fish because instead of 1 person worried about 2 lines in the water each person was watching their own.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2018, 08:03 PM »
I was in my 949i yesterday by myself had 3 holes and caught fish out of all 3 holes, but the most fish came on a minnow dead sticking out produced me jigging. Dead stick 2 holes set bait at different depths. And jig one hole.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2018, 09:07 PM »
If you fish with a partner and he is in the same hut what do you say to him, no don't fish I only want one line in the water LOL.  Seriously, two lines in the same hut will increase the huts pan fish (perch) take for the day.  With one line you can only catch a fish  when it is in the water not when your reeling it up or taking your fish off.  The other line your partner has can catch another fish when you are out of the water.  Get the idea?

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:01 AM »
Walleye fishing I prefer one person per ice shanty. Perch fishing having another person close by definitely helps to keep the school in the area.

Offline Yoopergirl

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice chicks DO exist!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:36 PM »
My partner and I have 4 holes in our hub/flip.  We both catch fish.  He'll fish the bottom for whitefish and I'll fish higher.  We'll take turns jigging in the zoom so the Marcum isn't so cluttered up.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:39 PM »

How deep do you fish? I've done it for 15yrs and only had a few issues.....mostly 20ft or less with a little bit of 30ft depths

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2018, 11:40 AM »
We are 20' FOW or under typically. Thanks for the tips guys

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2018, 10:10 PM »
Walleye fishing I prefer one person per ice shanty. Perch fishing having another person close by definitely helps to keep the school in the area.
yes sir  :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.