Author Topic: Green Bombs  (Read 15575 times)

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
Re: Green Bombs
« Reply #90 on: Feb 08, 2014, 12:44 PM »
There's a whole bunch of dimwits who've sued WalMart and Blitz, the maker of plastic gas cans.  They would pour gas out of the Blitz can onto a fire.  Guess what happened?  They burned their houses, bodies, families and pets.  Who'd a thunk it?  They think a "spark arrestor" would solve the problem.  I think selective culling of the gene pool would be much more effective.

One pound cylinders of propane don't magically appear.  When they are manufactured, they're void of propane.  They're full of air. They fill them with propane, transport them all across the country, store them in great numbers at your local shopping center, and sell them to anyone who wants to buy them.  If you want to refill them, do so with caution.  And use a little bit of common sense.  Or be prepared to improve the genetics of the human race.

<{{{{°>
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #91 on: Feb 09, 2014, 08:24 AM »
There's a whole bunch of dimwits who've sued WalMart and Blitz, the maker of plastic gas cans.  They would pour gas out of the Blitz can onto a fire.  Guess what happened?  They burned their houses, bodies, families and pets.  Who'd a thunk it?  They think a "spark arrestor" would solve the problem.  I think selective culling of the gene pool would be much more effective.

One pound cylinders of propane don't magically appear.  When they are manufactured, they're void of propane.  They're full of air. They fill them with propane, transport them all across the country, store them in great numbers at your local shopping center, and sell them to anyone who wants to buy them.  If you want to refill them, do so with caution.  And use a little bit of common sense.  Or be prepared to improve the genetics of the human race.

i agree
best comment!

we use refillable lighters and hand held igniter's for grills and such too and the refill propane cans to fill them with
wonder how many sued for using them

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #92 on: Feb 09, 2014, 08:52 AM »
i agree
best comment!

we use refillable lighters and hand held igniter's for grills and such too and the refill propane cans to fill them with
wonder how many sued for using them
You stated the key word REFILLABLE!

I don't think the green ones state refillable or do they have the correct DOT numbers & date stamped in them as required in order to be re-fillable.
And yes these cylinder are no longer made due to injuries & lawsuits, and the DOT does not allow these to be re-certified  so they can be filled anymore.

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #93 on: Feb 12, 2014, 11:00 AM »
Been refilling 1pd  tanks for years some I have refilled 10 times no problem I refill them off a 30lb tank but do it outside on a flat surface. Have saved alot of money by doing this. Key is warm 30lb tank and cold 1lb cylinder's
You will know when you cant refill them anymore they will take on a larger shape or look odd. never had one blow up. ;)
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:17 PM »
I have refilled a lot of them and don't think I have ever had one take a different shape.  I am not too worried about the refill, but change shape that would make me think twice about doing it.  Any chance you have any pics of your deformed tanks?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #95 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:45 PM »
maybe some thing to do with a bigger filler tank. using a 30# to fill a 1#

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:29 PM »
I thought my bigger tank that I fill the 1lb tanks like is on b-q was 25lb cant be much difference between 25lb and 30lb.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #97 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:36 PM »
standard bbq tank should be 20#'s unless you bought a 25# which is a fairly uncommon size, 20, 30, 40, 50, 100 are the more typical.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #98 on: Oct 14, 2014, 05:14 PM »
Had some time today, and it was nice out. Getting ready for the grill and stove.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD1CmorB_qM

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Oct 14, 2014, 06:44 PM »
I'm nervous to try this. Guys said he's been doing it for 15 years and I'm sure there wouldn't be any issues but it still makes me nervous.

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Oct 14, 2014, 06:50 PM »
Makes me nervous too. I bought the hose, filter and adapter so I could run a 20 lb tank in my flip over but have thought about trying the adapter so on days i don't feel like lugging the 20 lb i could just take refilled 1lb tanks. Think if i did this all refilled tanks would be stored outside!!

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Oct 14, 2014, 07:01 PM »
I would be willing to do this if I invested in a few of the refillable 1 lbers. I would never, and wont be near anyone refilling those disposable green ones. Too many people have got hurt.
-Tom

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #102 on: Oct 14, 2014, 07:09 PM »
I'm all for saving $.......but no thanks on this one. 

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Oct 14, 2014, 07:10 PM »
I would be willing to do this if I invested in a few of the refillable 1 lbers. I would never, and wont be near anyone refilling those disposable green ones. Too many people have got hurt.
where can you get them, I refill ths the green ones now and I havent had any problems with any leaking tanks but I sure would like to have tanks that were made to refill, I have a small 5 pounder but where I get my tank filled they charge me the same price as filling a 20 pounder so there isnt much savings in using it

Offline bowcarp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Oct 14, 2014, 08:44 PM »
I've refilled 1pounders for years never had a problem prechill them in my freezer , top them off , soap bubbles
To check if they leak use them and repeat , side note I refill outside and weigh them I'd rather be a little
Lite
governments should fear their citizens
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”― Socrates
I miss North Dakota (least I did till the oil moved in )

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #105 on: Oct 14, 2014, 09:06 PM »
I've seen them at some hardware stores. They were Manchester brand. It was basically a heavy duty 1 pound tank with the same fittings on top as the 20 pounds, as in it had the manual shut off. Every year I read comments about how I refilled the disposable tanks for years. Then a couple times a year you hear from someone who had one blow up in his face or burn down their house. Last year someone lost their fish house.
-Tom

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #106 on: Oct 14, 2014, 09:15 PM »
Yup.  Had a semi "bang" last year at 6:30 AM (-20). No longer into refilling them.   Upgraded to a 5lb'r with hose/filter. Much happier now. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #107 on: Oct 14, 2014, 09:22 PM »
I've refilled 1pounders for years never had a problem prechill them in my freezer , top them off , soap bubbles
To check if they leak use them and repeat , side note I refill outside and weigh them I'd rather be a little
Lite

x2. I have a scale i use to weigh them. the forcepts will be a nice trick!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #108 on: Oct 15, 2014, 02:41 PM »
No way in h**L. My buddy Erv was doing that last year; he and his kids are lucky to be alive. One of the 1 lb'rs leaked and went FFFFFFT on him; gas in air went *BOOM*, and took off from there. Half of his $250,000 house destroyed, and this guy taught SAFETY classes...ya, really.
Just not the safest practice in the world to save a buck or two. ::)

http://m.postbulletin.com/news/local/man-survives-explosive-fire-in-southwest-rochester/article_a9b2e791-ebb5-5f00-9e98-8d7e21621039.html?mode=jqm
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Oct 15, 2014, 02:59 PM »
$2.50 per 1lb bottle or a $250,000 house.  I'll pay the $2.50 per bottle

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #110 on: Oct 15, 2014, 03:17 PM »
When I fill my bottles im ouside away from any buildings, for the guy that lost his house if feel sorry for him but I dont think he was using good judgment, you have to take precautions when messing around with gas all the bad things I have read about are due to poor judgment

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Oct 15, 2014, 03:25 PM »

And so it begins for the 2014/15 ice season! The 3,785,651 discussion of the little green bomb. and I'm fresh outta popcorn, dang.  :(

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #112 on: Oct 15, 2014, 05:01 PM »
Slide on over, Jiggy, I've got two buckets. 
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #113 on: Oct 15, 2014, 06:48 PM »
I have a prediction. 5 pages of people saying "I have been doing this for X years, and never had a problem," followed by pictures of burned down stuff.
-Tom

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #114 on: Oct 15, 2014, 08:04 PM »
pics of burned up stuff is cool.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #115 on: Oct 15, 2014, 08:25 PM »
I have a prediction. 5 pages of people saying "I have been doing this for X years, and never had a problem," followed by pictures of burned down stuff.

Well its better then watching the news and reading the internet telling us all that the U.S. is screwed finacially and that we are all gonna be broke in a year or so.

Personally, I'd like to vote we move this thread to people using chain saws. Then we can debate on a person using a chain saw, and how we are all idiots for using chain saws and how we should hire it done by a professional because someones buddy or someone on the news had an accident with a chain saw and lost some body part. We could also throw in how the gas we put into plastic gas jugs is dangerous and how insurance has issues with it. Then the next guy can say how a metal gas can is approved by insurance vs the plastic, but if it falls off the truck and scraps down the road sparking it will start a fire. That way we can have pictures of fires, blown up stuff, and mutalated people all in a thread......... :cookoo:

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #116 on: Oct 15, 2014, 10:51 PM »
X2 but funny how we (myself included) just keep bumping certain topics. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #117 on: Oct 15, 2014, 11:10 PM »
 :icefish:

Post are worthless without pics!

Offline DAPOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Oct 15, 2014, 11:23 PM »
How is it a guy on you tube, TRYING to blow up a greenie by shooting them with his 223, can't, UNTIL, he surrounded it with burning rags, then shoots it, and all that happened was a relatively small fireball? I guess if a guy doesn't understand the physics involved with pressurized flammable liquid gas, he'd be better off paying more for his greenies!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #119 on: Oct 16, 2014, 09:17 AM »
I don't care about safety one bit but I can't be troubled with refilling those things. I got better ways to spend my time. Got an 11lb tank this past year and it's awesome. Can ice fish for a month with it and not have to mess with it.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.