Author Topic: Floatation Bibs and Jacket  (Read 4685 times)

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
Floatation Bibs and Jacket
« on: Jan 25, 2017, 12:06 PM »
Hey Guys,
I've never really worried about ice condition because in the past I didn't ice fish as much and didn't realize ice conditions change that much. Well the last two years I have been going ALOT more and doing more research and realized ice is a lot more finicky then I had previously thought. So I'm looking into getting some kind of floatation clothing. I know arctic armor is good, nautilus is good, mustang is good, ice armor is good, and a there are a few other brands out there. Well most of those are out of my price range(I know the old story of your life is irreplaceable, and paying a lot is worth it) I would really like to be able to afford some of the nicer stuff, but that will be down the road. I was looking at Sundridge and it seems to be pretty good. Is there anything else out there that is cheap but good? Ya know biggest bang for the buck? I would like to stay around $100-150 if possible. And do I need the suit or can I just get the bibs or coat and it should work? I'm 5'10" and weight 160. So I'm not a real heavy guy.....yet haha. I have a life insurance policy, but I don't think my wife wants to cash in on it. Any advice and links would be good. Like I said I'm looking for $100-$150 and the sundridge seems to be right in that price range. Thanks guys.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Floatation Bibs and Jacket
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2017, 12:09 PM »
Your budget will get you about half way there - Look around on Craigslist for a good deal on some used stuff!
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2017, 12:24 PM »
Can you look at the manual or auto inflate PFD vests?  Most are around the $100 - $150 range.  I see alot of guys wearing these in the summer.  Not bulky and is there only if needed. 

The Sunridge jacket is $150, so you may be in the range you are looking at.  Would like to hear more about if they need to be paired with the bibs and jacket. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2017, 12:26 PM »
check out fieldsupply.com they have the frabill I float suit on sale for $181 and free shipping. That is the whole suit not just the jacket. Normally $400 for just the jacket. Act fast cuz I am sure these will sell out very soon

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2017, 12:54 PM »
Watch for a sale. I don't know about other brands, but striker brand the bibs alone will hold you up. I'd buy bibs this year and get a jacket next year. Bibs will keep you warm with almost any winter jacket.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2017, 01:12 PM »
Striker is the suit I have and would go with again, do not need the whole suit for the protection can go with either the bibs or jacket and they will keep up to 350lb I believe.  A little out of the price range at 199 a piece but well worth the money in my opinion.

Offline dukhnter8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2017, 01:17 PM »
Lots of sales starting recently on the striker gear. I got bibs last year and am getting a jacket this year (just ordered a jacket for $50 off) from fishusa.

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2017, 01:30 PM »
Striker is the way to go. Buy 1 piece this year and have santa bring you the other next year...

Offline buckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2017, 02:25 PM »
check out fieldsupply.com they have the frabill I float suit on sale for $181 and free shipping. That is the whole suit not just the jacket. Normally $400 for just the jacket. Act fast cuz I am sure these will sell out very soon

Didn't see this.  Which model is it on their site?

Offline CheyWyo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2017, 02:27 PM »
Agree with Striker. I got my Predator suit a couple years ago at 119 each piece for end of season sale in March.

I'm a bit bigger than you (5'11" and 175lbs) mediums fit just right with thin under layers.

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2017, 05:03 PM »
Mt Mullie, Even if you can't afford a float coat or bibs at this time at least wear a PFD such as those used when boating. I'm not sure I would trust the automatic PFD'S that use a cartridge to deploy when you go in the water. Has something to do with the cold temperature possibly not allowing it to activate. Not to mention if you got knocked unconscious going in you wouldn't be able to pull the manual type. And finally after ice fishing for almost twenty years, there is no truer statement, "there is no such thing as 100% safe ice."
I do have the Striker Arctic coat and bibs that I purchased over a couple of seasons. And usually you can get them after the season pretty reasonable.  Stay on top.   Lou

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2017, 05:30 PM »
Striker has like 5 different models.  They all float, the difference is in the amount of warmth the clothes provide.   If you spend most of your time outside fishing off a bucket go up the line to the Hardwater or Climate.  If you are in a shanty you can get by with lower levels like Guardian or Predator.  Start with the bibs first. 

Striker Ice has a sale every memorial day weekend and offer 30% off.  I picked up some up then.  But watch places like Reed's or Glen's Army navy.

I started with Mossi Manta pants, these are floating pants made for snowmobilers.  No pockets in them, they are not bibs but have straps going over the shoulder.  They also do not have the waterproof knees that ice fishing bibs have. 

You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2017, 08:52 PM »
112$ at gm for predator

Offline buckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2017, 09:30 PM »
Where did you see this?

Offline buckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2017, 09:48 PM »
Where did you see this?

Sorry, I was referring to the $112

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2017, 09:52 PM »
112$ at gm for predator

Is there a special code to get that price?  I was just on Gander Mountain's website and can't find that deal. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2017, 10:12 PM »
was watching gotham.
gm has the predator bib or coat marked down to 150$ and it is red tagged. this means they take another 25% off with code extra25
this is in store nearest me, so it should be all stores.
they had mostly mediums left. i sold one xl to a stranger and i don't work there lol

http://www.gandermountain.com/clearance/?icID=HPR3

Offline buckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2017, 06:17 AM »
was watching gotham.
gm has the predator bib or coat marked down to 150$ and it is red tagged. this means they take another 25% off with code extra25
this is in store nearest me, so it should be all stores.
they had mostly mediums left. i sold one xl to a stranger and i don't work there lol

http://www.gandermountain.com/clearance/?icID=HPR3

I didn't see that price either.  Do you have to go into the stores?

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2017, 06:30 AM »
Gander Mtn has a 20% off regular price items in store/on line

http://www.gandermountain.com/customerappreciation/?icID=HPR1

only familiar with EXTRA25 as an on line discount code on clearance items ...

Are Discount codes able to be used in store ?

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2017, 08:54 AM »
My local Gander Mountain never got any Striker stuff in and I didn't see any Striker stuff in the clearance section online so I guess that extra 25% off won't work.   :(

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:23 PM »
Gander Mtn has a 20% off regular price items in store/on line

http://www.gandermountain.com/customerappreciation/?icID=HPR1

only familiar with EXTRA25 as an on line discount code on clearance items ...

Are Discount codes able to be used in store ?
yes!
code save20 is also on every thing else except ammo, guns and electronics.
also works in store.
end of tomorrow is last day. predator suits are 122$ each. mostly mediums left.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.