Author Topic: Does Eskimo have a new Auger for drills coming out?  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Does Eskimo have a new Auger for drills coming out?
« on: Sep 12, 2018, 03:04 PM »
Just heard they may have one similar to the K drill? any one know?

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Does Eskimo have a new Auger for drills coming out?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2018, 03:08 PM »
Its been discussed in another thread I think, cant seem to find it tho, super light $300ish if I remember right and the same old shaver blades that everyone else is using

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2018, 04:43 PM »
Thanks I guess I should look around here more.

Offline midwest_rodworks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2018, 11:41 AM »
$220 for the 8 inch.
"Balance in all things"

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2018, 07:19 PM »
At the prices they have on these, I'll stick with my Nils 8in.

Not sure why every company thinks a drill auger is worth $200+ for an 8in when a simple $40 hand auger does the job.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2018, 10:46 PM »
Marine General in Duluth MN has the 6 inch for 169 bucks 2.75# that's light but is it really worth it? You guys have taught me the Mora is the bet way go. Be interesting to see how they do.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2018, 08:20 AM »
Marine General in Duluth MN has the 6 inch for 169 bucks 2.75# that's light but is it really worth it? You guys have taught me the Mora is the bet way go. Be interesting to see how they do.

They are also showing the 8" @ $219.99.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2018, 08:34 AM »
Sportsmans Guide has them available for 9-24 so it says. 6"and 8".
<===Lefty===

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2018, 08:39 PM »
I chatted with Eskimo today they say it is a few seconds faster than the K drill my question is the K Drill is slow enough is it worth it to get the Eskimo I just ordered a 6 inch Mora with the extension Now wondering if I should send back and get this? At 4 pounds with just the drill it would be about 10 pounds that's pretty light.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 17, 2018, 09:00 PM »
I chatted with Eskimo today they say it is a few seconds faster than the K drill my question is the K Drill is slow enough is it worth it to get the Eskimo I just ordered a 6 inch Mora with the extension Now wondering if I should send back and get this? At 4 pounds with just the drill it would be about 10 pounds that's pretty light.

I'd stick with the mora

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2018, 09:19 PM »
Interesting reply, Would you keep the K drill or sell it? The grass always looks greener on the other side I guess the weight intrigues me on the Eskimo, However I had 2 Eskimo power augers they were very slow and nothing but issues. I respect your insight.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2018, 09:48 PM »
Interesting reply, Would you keep the K drill or sell it? The grass always looks greener on the other side I guess the weight intrigues me on the Eskimo, However I had 2 Eskimo power augers they were very slow and nothing but issues. I respect your insight.

I'd keep the kdrill until you were comfortable enough with the mora. The dump the k drill once you know you like the other auger better.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2018, 06:16 AM »
WOw really? My Eskimo Z51 was pretty darn fast at 1" per second. I loved the thing and only sold it because of the Nero Cutting 2" a second. I really hated to see the Eskimo go because it never failed to start on first try second or third if I forgot to prime it.
<===Lefty===

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 18, 2018, 11:55 AM »
I had the Mako when it first came out used it 1 week and it blew a rod sent it back and got another one under warranty not a good start. They let me know it was a factory issue. Then that auger was stolen. I got a stingray later which was my last auger for 3 weeks it was in and out of the repair shop I finally sold it. I always used non oxy gas If I never own a gas auger again it will be too soon. I won't go into detail but owned 3 strikemaster augers the Honda lite was the worst of all.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2018, 12:21 PM »
At some point you gotta quit blaming the auger..

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 18, 2018, 12:26 PM »
True perhaps, but my nickname is Lucky so take it for what it's worth. I have good luck with most things except augers and trailer bearings.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 18, 2018, 12:46 PM »
Was half joking but it does seem like some people just weren't meant to use a gas auger be it bad luck or some other little thing that causes them problems.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Sep 18, 2018, 12:53 PM »
I resemble that statement ;D ;D ;D

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #19 on: Sep 18, 2018, 12:56 PM »
I resemble that statement ;D ;D ;D

At least you've taken the first step and admitted you have a problem.  :P That's always a good start... ::) ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Sep 18, 2018, 01:09 PM »
At least you've taken the first step and admitted you have a problem.  :P That's always a good start... ::) ;)2

<===Lefty===

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Sep 18, 2018, 05:43 PM »

If you want to make an arguement any 6” ice auger will likely work pretty well on a electric drill.  So if the ideal is to go cheapest then yes a mora blue would be your cheapest option and would do the job just fine. Although I stay away from Nero if using a drill, just my personal experience.

The Lazer hand auger turn by hand easier with less torque then the mora blue.  Hence why you see the pricier $$$ tag.  The Nils also turn with less torque this is the reason why the Nils cutting head blades are angled.  Similar with the Lazer.  From my experience they both hand turn much easier then the mora blue.

The Mora blue is flat blade as well as the Nero.   The new Eskimo uses a nylon material cutting head with flat blades also.

Kdrill uses a chipper blade and will cut slower then the augers above. But are you are looking to race an auger and feel that you get your holes cut 1-2 seconds faster make you catch more fish?  The downside chipper blades will take longer to cut a hole with more revolutions means more battery drain.  So shaver and flat blades offer better battery use.  But this also depends on how many holes you plan to cut per outing.  If your only cutting on average 20-30 holes a day then it doesn’t really matter.

Kdrill and Nils 6” are also smaller in diameter cutting a 5 3/4” hole and not true 6”.

Kdrill is also the only one offering free blade resharpening service for the lifetime of the blade.  Think 3-6 times a blade can be resharpen.

Of the augers above the Nils and the Mora blue are the heavier augers so if your looking to stay mobile and lightweight stick with Kdrill or even the new Eskimo pistol.

Personally I don’t think the new Eskimo pistol is going to cut any better then the mora blue.  But it’s design to fit a drill and the lightest auger on the market.  If cutting weight is important then it will be worth the heavier price tag $$$.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Sep 18, 2018, 05:52 PM »
Well said.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Sep 18, 2018, 06:08 PM »
Fisherman-Andy Did you have a bad experience with the Nero? I have had nothing but good with mine. Used one the whole season last year and never had a problem until the last day out when I had most likely hit some dirt and dulled it. It still cut just took longer than normal. I will know more about the blades this year when I try it out with the blades I re-sharpened. As for re-sharpening blades I re-sharpened my Eskimo Quantum blades every year for 8 years and they still cut like new. Sold it when I got the Nero.
<===Lefty===

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Sep 18, 2018, 06:34 PM »
I have used and my good friend has the Nero it did not work well for me on the drill to aggressive and hurt my wrists on breakthrough. However with that said my friend uses his by hand and it is fast. I should have tried to use the Nero on the Clam plate probably would have worked better with a little modification. 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Sep 18, 2018, 06:52 PM »
Yea I learned pretty fast to hold on tight and ease it through the holes. It cuts so fast that it leaves a chunk at the bottom if you don't go slow. The thing takes out chunks of ice not shavings.
<===Lefty===

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Sep 18, 2018, 08:25 PM »
Fisherman-Andy Did you have a bad experience with the Nero? I have had nothing but good with mine. Used one the whole season last year and never had a problem until the last day out when I had most likely hit some dirt and dulled it. It still cut just took longer than normal. I will know more about the blades this year when I try it out with the blades I re-sharpened. As for re-sharpening blades I re-sharpened my Eskimo Quantum blades every year for 8 years and they still cut like new. Sold it when I got the Nero.

It’s fine as an hand auger but the Nero becomes a violent auger once connected to an electric drill.  Both the 6” and 7” models cut fast but it tends to jerk and cut an uneven hole.  It will also bind up or bind before break through of bottom if your not careful it may jerk you and or pull you down causing an injury.   So use caution when using the Nero with the electric drill and brace yourself well.  Clear ice chips often and watch that bottom break through to prevent injury.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Sep 18, 2018, 11:45 PM »

Of the augers above the Nils and the Mora blue are the heavier augers so if your looking to stay mobile and lightweight stick with Kdrill or even the new Eskimo pistol.

An 8" Mora blue, without the hand crank, is lighter than the 7.5" kdrill just thought I'd mention..

<°)))>{

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Sep 19, 2018, 06:10 AM »
An 8" Mora blue, without the hand crank, is lighter than the 7.5" kdrill just thought I'd mention

<°)))>{

Where did you get this info?  An 8” mora blue weighs approximately 8lbs as listed on the Strikemaster spec sheet.   The Kdrill weighs just a tad over 5lbs.  The 5” mora blue is listed at 6lbs weight.  Even without the turn handle crank which probably weighs about a 1lb or so the mora is heavier.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Sep 19, 2018, 06:46 AM »

Where did you get this info?

I weighed mine.

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.