Author Topic: pike ?  (Read 829 times)

Offline bobski

• IceShanty Rookie
pike ?
« on: Feb 20, 2008, 06:28 PM »
Do pike feed primarily by scent or by sight ?
I have also noticed a few folks using red hooks is there a reason for this or does a red hook during ice season and red  lures like a daredevil during open water season .
Any replies are appreciated .

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Re: pike ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2008, 09:12 PM »
I think they are  an opportunistic feeder , they will rely first on scent and then sight much like a predator like a coyote or big cat < smell the prey and then see the prey and pounce on their meal .
The red hook and lure thing I'm not too sure about in some cases I have seen them outproduce brass and I have seen the opposite outproduce . I'm sure you will get differing opinions but I think it all leads back to opportunity .

Offline Berkley4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2008, 04:50 AM »
I belive people use red hooks to resemble blood from a wounded meal

Offline pan-fisher-man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2008, 07:30 AM »
if you ask me id say that the red hook works. a buddy and i were at houghton lake and we got 32 pike in 2 days on tipups with red hooks...only one was a keeper though..all little hammer handles
-------   --------
          /
         / FISH THE HARD STUFF
        /
   ><>

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2008, 07:40 AM »
if you ask me id say that the red hook works. a buddy and i were at houghton lake and we got 32 pike in 2 days on tipups with red hooks...only one was a keeper though..all little hammer handles
Can you attribute the good day to the hook color or was it location and bait of choice ?
I have used both a plain hook color and red but not at the same time to see if the hook color really makes a difference .
Hook color may play a small role < very small > in catch ratio but my belief is once again location , scent ,  sight that will make or break the day .
It would be interesting to see a study done and what the results would be .

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2008, 08:01 AM »
those fish are savages and are oppertunist. they will mangle anything in there path!!!
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.