Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Storm Lake Walleye  (Read 2100 times)

Offline rodeomarine21

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Go big or go Home
Storm Lake Walleye
« on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:07 PM »
Just wondering if anyone is having luck at Storm Lake? I read the report and it said that people were catching some, but just want to know before I spend the time and money driving over there to ice fish.
Semper Fish Devil Dogs

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Storm Lake Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2019, 09:31 PM »
Just wondering if anyone is having luck at Storm Lake? I read the report and it said that people were catching some, but just want to know before I spend the time and money driving over there to ice fish.

Um....I see you are from Nebraska......seems like an odd lake for you to wanna fish.....

I very seldom fish storm lake in the winter. It has a very nice walleye population, but they tend to be a little harder to find/catch in the winter. I usually catch a few to a limit when I hit Storm.......Open water is great on the lake, but covering a lot of water over the dredge cuts is key.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2019, 04:28 AM »
I can't give a recent report, but the bite was pretty poor during early ice.  I have heard that it has improved but I cannot say for sure how it's been.  I will say, last year was really good at times.  Some people believe that the shad population is up this year, thus many well-fed walleye that are difficult to catch.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2019, 01:37 PM »
I know one guy that loves to ice fish Storm and he says it's been dead. The reason the walleye fishing has been great on Storm is because the poor things are starving. They look like sauger they are so thin.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2019, 02:01 PM »
I know one guy that loves to ice fish Storm and he says it's been dead. The reason the walleye fishing has been great on Storm is because the poor things are starving. They look like sauger they are so thin.

Why do you think that?  Over the summer I pulled a lot of nice fish outta storm. Last 2 years I've pulled out 6-8 fish over the slot and they were plump. Most the fish I caught seemed pretty well fed. The gizzard shad population is pretty high in the lake.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2019, 10:25 AM »
There were numerous reports of big, healthy females when the DNR did the netting last spring.  I haven't heard of anyone complaining about skinny fish.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2019, 12:13 PM »
Why do you think that?  Over the summer I pulled a lot of nice fish outta storm. Last 2 years I've pulled out 6-8 fish over the slot and they were plump. Most the fish I caught seemed pretty well fed. The gizzard shad population is pretty high in the lake.
Fake fishing reports? ;)
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline rodeomarine21

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Go big or go Home
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:30 PM »
I used to work on the dredge over there about ten years ago. I love going over there when I can in the spring. I've only ever ice fished it once and there was a nasty cold front coming through so I didn't get anything.
Semper Fish Devil Dogs

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.