Author Topic: Vexilar problems  (Read 6218 times)

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
Vexilar problems
« on: Jan 19, 2019, 07:56 PM »
I went to use my vexilar fl-8 this morning and on what I thought was a fully charged battery...... and nothing. Highly frustrated I plugged it in tonight and the charger went to green light immediately claiming it was fully charged. So it turns on and functions while the charger is hooked up but as soon as I unplug the charger the whole unit goes dead? Without being plugged in nothing happens as you turn it on. Is this most likely just a bad battery or is the whole unit shot? It is only 5 years old too btw.

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Vexilar problems
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:01 PM »
Sounds like your battery
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:04 PM »
For sure the battery.  If it is the Vex itself, i would be shocked. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:07 PM »
Try a different charger.  I had one do the same thing.  Bought two new batteries and found out a week later it was the charger that was bad.  I now use a Battery Minder charger.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:08 PM »
Battery for sure.  Do you have another battery you could swap it out with or a buddie you could borrow his and test it out. 

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:09 PM »
Sounds like a bad battery

Offline paul82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:30 PM »
My fl8 is 11 years old and runs like new, I change battery once few years back, try discharge and charge few times at summer time, unused battery go fast....

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:39 PM »
Thanks everyone. I do turn it on occasionally during the summer months as I was told to do but given the responses I will be ordering a new one immediately. 

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2019, 09:22 PM »
I had avec fl-8 for 15-20yrs.  Changed batteries once and once charger....not bad....yours I think battery. Now have marcum m-1...changed battery after 1st year..the 7ah battery sometimes didn't last all day...changed to 9ah and fine now.

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2019, 06:06 AM »
Had same thing happen to me this week with FL18, turned out to be loose connection on battery.  Sounds like charger if all connections ok.  Call Vexilar, their customer service is great, and will troubleshoot what the problem is.

Offline Zpotter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2019, 08:15 AM »
Need new battery for sue

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2019, 09:48 AM »
I went to use my vexilar fl-8 this morning and on what I thought was a fully charged battery...... and nothing. Highly frustrated I plugged it in tonight and the charger went to green light immediately claiming it was fully charged. So it turns on and functions while the charger is hooked up but as soon as I unplug the charger the whole unit goes dead? Without being plugged in nothing happens as you turn it on. Is this most likely just a bad battery or is the whole unit shot? It is only 5 years old too btw.
I could be wrong but I believe that the on/off switch of the Vexilar should be in the "on" position while charging. It may be worth giving this a try before buying a new battery.
Winners don't know they're in a race.

They just like to run.

Fishmon

« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2019, 09:59 AM »
Test it with different 12v battery.  Should let you know quick if you need new battery or a repair.  I would guess from what you described that battery is bad.  Check terminals for corrosion, etc. to see if that is the problem.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2019, 10:02 AM »
If it works on the charger but stops working after its the off charger.dead cells in battery.cant take a load.that how vexilar recommends checking the unit.

Offline icefishinman88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2019, 03:18 PM »
A few have said it try a new charger. Gator clip ones work the best in case the plug to the unit itself were broke

Offline icefishnfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2019, 03:46 PM »
My battery did the same thing, green light and all. New battery from runnings $23 and I was back in business

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2019, 05:05 PM »
ask someone if you can hook up their battery that will tell you in a second

Offline redspinner

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:31 AM »
Same here,out once this year vex was fine,On the ice. tryed to charge battery green light. 12v was only 9.6v.On my way for new battery! Have fun tight lines.
Give-up worm bed for tent on hardwater belowzero o-so-good

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:37 AM »
Good video in general ...5:14 mark to test unit

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2019, 10:17 AM »
I ordered a new 9ah battery on eBay for $22. Buddy has a charger I can try also just to be sure it’s not that. Should be back in business for the weekend! Thanks again to all that replied

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:38 AM »
I will bet it is a bad battery. I just had this happen on a reconditioned fish scout camera I got from Vexilar. battery ended up only putting out 6 volts when I checked it with a volt meter. this meant I had half the battery shot. replaced the battery and was good to go.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Online ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2019, 07:25 AM »
I could be wrong but I believe that the on/off switch of the Vexilar should be in the "on" position while charging. It may be worth giving this a try before buying a new battery.

You are correct if it has an on/off switch. My FL20 has one - my FL18 did not.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2019, 08:03 AM »
I had the same issue, bought a new battery and no issues. My old batteries where 2 yrs old. My new batteries I tried the old charger and still get the green light after using them. So I just use my marine battery charger .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.