Author Topic: A "reel" question  (Read 1830 times)

Offline idtrout

• IceShanty Rookie
A "reel" question
« on: Dec 28, 2018, 04:23 PM »
Question #1
Is there a difference between ice fishing reels and the spinning reels I use in the summer?

Question #2
Because ice fishing line is not the cheapest how are you setting up your reels. For example do you fill the reels up with line or do you just put on say 25 yards or so.
Also
line preference braided, mono or flurocarbon

Thanks

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: A "reel" question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2018, 05:42 PM »
Well panfish or creek reels are the same size as ice reels so you can buy them as for ice line i buy regular mono line in 2-10lb and i normal get 200yard of and about 100 if lucky on 10lb if im going for pike i use tip ups  and then i use braid 20-80lb, 
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2018, 11:16 PM »
I use spinning reels for most of my ice fishing, but have an inline reel I am going to try this winter.  The inline is for avoiding line twist and keeping your lure from spinning, which help fool fish.  Fish do not like the spin.   A good swivel on a spinning outfie helps and is cheaper. 
I use 4 pound flouroclear line for perch, crappie and blue gills and the occasional trout, sometimes 3 pounds.  Have had to much hassle with 2 pound but some like it for fooling finicky panfish.
The most important item you can own is a flasher, but they are spendy.  If I forget my flasher I go back home and get it or I just don't fish.
If you are fishing for bigger fish, like large trout and walleye,  you can use braid with a mono or fluoro leader and  spinning outfit. 

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2018, 11:36 PM »
The biggest issues with reels not sold as “ice” reels is the grease and oil used. you can test them by sticking it in the freezer or outside in sub freezing temps for an hour or so and see how smoothly they will turn.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2018, 10:25 AM »
I'm on my 3rd year of using in-line reels for ice fishing.  I will not use a spinning reel anymore for ice fishing.  I firmly believe they are the future for this sport for all the reasons stated so far.  As to line, I tried braided line and found that it holds water on its surface and freezes way to much for my liking.  Stick with the ice fishing specific mono/fluoro lines and you won't go wrong.  It's cheaper (if you need to be) to spool with mono and tip with 3 to 4 feet of fluoro.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline caldwellite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2018, 12:04 PM »
I am just the opposite of Bob. I have Inline reels and don't like them. I like my spinning reels better. I could not tell any difference between ice line and regular except price. I run flouro on my spinning and mono with a flouro leader on my tipups.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2018, 03:10 PM »
Some spinning reels for ice fishing have a longer stem that is tilted toward the first guide on your ice rod.
Like this one.
https://www.fishusa.com/product/HT-Enterprises-Accucast-Ultralight-Spinning-Reels

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2019, 12:07 AM »
reels have pretty much been covered, but i have my own 2 cents about line:

each kind of line has its own pros and cons. monofilament has stretch, but it's affordable and easy to tie knots with; flourocarbon is expensive and difficult to knot without some practice, but it's super clear, has low memory and low stretch; braid holds water and freezes up, but it knots well, is stronger at a thinner diameter, and has superior sensitivity due to 0 stretch.

so i run all of them. i have 11 rods, and they're all rigged for a specific purpose. i seldom use braided line outside of a shelter, flourocarbon is reserved for super tough days when cold and finicky fish demand it, and monofilament goes on all my dead rods, loaner rods, and anything i intend to use with lures sporting treble hooks (the stretch can help keep fish from ripping free of a treble)

fill your spools all the way. you never know when your bluegill jig will get slammed by a 5 lb trout, and you'll want the breathing room. you can save money by: 1. knowing that there's essentially no real difference between "ice" line and regular fishing line aside from branding, and 2. every season, trim 20 feet or so off the end of your line, and reel it off of one reel directly onto another reel. this flips the line so the stuff at the bottom of the spool (which has barely seen any use throughout the season) is now the business end. check constantly for abrasions.

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2019, 03:33 PM »
reels have pretty much been covered, but i have my own 2 cents about line:

each kind of line has its own pros and cons. monofilament has stretch, but it's affordable and easy to tie knots with; flourocarbon is expensive and difficult to knot without some practice, but it's super clear, has low memory and low stretch; braid holds water and freezes up, but it knots well, is stronger at a thinner diameter, and has superior sensitivity due to 0 stretch.

so i run all of them. i have 11 rods, and they're all rigged for a specific purpose. i seldom use braided line outside of a shelter, flourocarbon is reserved for super tough days when cold and finicky fish demand it, and monofilament goes on all my dead rods, loaner rods, and anything i intend to use with lures sporting treble hooks (the stretch can help keep fish from ripping free of a treble)

fill your spools all the way. you never know when your bluegill jig will get slammed by a 5 lb trout, and you'll want the breathing room. you can save money by: 1. knowing that there's essentially no real difference between "ice" line and regular fishing line aside from branding, and 2. every season, trim 20 feet or so off the end of your line, and reel it off of one reel directly onto another reel. this flips the line so the stuff at the bottom of the spool (which has barely seen any use throughout the season) is now the business end. check constantly for abrasions.

That last tip is interesting and something I've never considered but might have to in the future.

I've never really done my research to know if ice line is any different than "regular" but I assume you have and trust you on it. I wanted to switch to the fluorocarbon ice lines but haven't. Maybe after this season I will switch everything out with "regular" flouro and try that.

I had braid on one rod just to try it out (and still have it on there). One thing I noticed is that it seemed to give a lot of interference on the flasher though that can be addressed with gain/noise adjustments. It was still kind of annoying though so I used that rod for jaw jackers mostly. But I think I am taking the braid off as I have never been a big braid fan anyway.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.