New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: brand new to here and ice fishing  (Read 562 times)

Offline huntdeertk

• IceShanty Rookie
brand new to here and ice fishing
« on: Dec 25, 2018, 08:08 PM »
50 y/o looking to take kids icefishing in Saratoga/warren counties. Fish warm water alot. looking for links to threads for beginners, equipment recommendations for minimum required, and spots to fish. currently own 5 tip ups, renting auger and more gear  from Saratoga Navy base. current plan when ice is good is to follow the shanties, goal is to escape house in winter, catch huge Salmon, lakers and walleye, expectations is to escape house, get cold, catch few sunnies and perch, drink coffee and listen to kids whine. Bait shop in schylerville has been helpful, any other advice would be appreciated. thanks in advance, tom

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: brand new to here and ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2018, 07:20 AM »
That's awesome, good luck. I have fished a few years and one of my things is to goggle things. A great way to see video of people catching all kinds of things through the ice. A lot of times Craigs list and simular sites the will find people selling lots of gear affordably.  :tipup:

Offline H2O-32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2018, 07:59 AM »
Welcome to the site. I'm no pro, but as far as info there is everything you need here. If you click on Forums and scroll down past all the states and localities there are the "how to" threads you seek on topics like Ice Safety, General Ice Fishing, Equipment, etc.. If you go even further down there is a listing of species of fish with tips on how to catch them within. Good luck, post pics of anything you catch  ;)
[Edit] Almost forgot important feature. Now that you have posted three times you have access to the Reports and Conditions for New York, these are sometimes good to see firsthand accounts of what ice and fishing was like in a given area. Likewise you may leave a report there after you go and catch all those fish you mentioned.  :)

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2018, 09:12 AM »
Check out our YouTube channel. We fish a lot of lakes in the area. We don’t hide our location or baits and basically just have fun on the ice. All of our videos are family friendly.

Offline huntdeertk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2018, 03:18 PM »
YouTube and site nav. Thanks did not know there was so much on forum, appreciate it!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2018, 04:15 PM »
Catching fish in a sweaty shanty Yes! Thanks for the links I am slow learning my way around the site.

Offline H2O-32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:14 PM »
I intentionally did not put links, but instructions on where to look. I feel you'll remember it better and learn if you did it yourself. Kinda like the "give a man a fish vs. teach a man to fish" theory.

Lots to read and watch boys, not much time, the test is next Friday.  :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.