Author Topic: Glow sticks  (Read 1446 times)

Offline phil c

• Team IceShanty Regular
Glow sticks
« on: Dec 09, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Has anyone ever tried using a glow stick under the ice as an attractant? Just thinking about how dark it is and most of use glow in the dark jigs. I wonder if it would have any effectiveness? Also color, green, Red, ect…
Thoughts?

Offline ticktoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Glow sticks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2018, 05:01 PM »
I've read for open water using a mason jar filled with water holes in the lid with glow sticks and minnows in it. But haven't tried it. Don't see why it wouldn't work. I made one but never used it yet.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2018, 05:17 PM »
I use a 3way rig that has glow stick on it.        0.1 MB    glow rig scan.jpg                  Check                                            Error                                                 

hope you can see it.  its on my line not just hanging down hole.  glow stick for float in rubber tube on the 3way.  some nights it will out fish the regular ones by 10-1.  other nights its dead?
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline guthook1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2018, 05:59 PM »
You might want to check out the Lindy Glow Spoon,  SWaw them at the Duluth ice show this weekend - looked good - spoon seened ti be a bit pricey (as are most ice jigs/rods/ect....replacement glow sticks available per 3.

Offline cooljordan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fish slayer \m/
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2018, 08:16 PM »
I've tried it, but can't confirm weather it was effective or not. Assuming it is like anything else, one time it kills them the next time nothing.

Offline rtrvler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2018, 08:56 PM »
I have used a green light at night for kooks and done very good.

Offline Wolf2982

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2018, 09:09 PM »
I have heard people using the large green glow sticks the just pop them and drop them down the hole its sapost to bring in the minnows

Offline phil c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2018, 09:05 AM »
I’m looking at trying to use a large glow stick on a line for retreaval. I think it will work to help bring in the smaller invertebrates and minnows (food source)
It works well in the summertime for crappie.

Offline Hoserman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2018, 09:12 AM »
The glow sticks sound like they would work well. I have a buddy I fish with who has a green LED we drop down the hole for smelt fishing at night and I'm sold on that for sure. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Tried ice fishing with Dynamite, UGH... where's my shanty?

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2018, 11:10 AM »
The glow sticks sound like they would work well. I have a buddy I fish with who has a green LED we drop down the hole for smelt fishing at night and I'm sold on that for sure. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I like the LED idea.  I've tried glow sticks but the cold water slowed down the chemical reaction so that they didn't seem to glow much at all.  But maybe that's a good thing; a little light might be better than a lot sometimes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.