The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Midwesterner headed to the big lake  (Read 515 times)

Offline formerSDguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Addict!
Midwesterner headed to the big lake
« on: Dec 09, 2018, 02:59 PM »
Hey all, we are headed up the Lake Champlain January 9-13 to fish. I have a couple questions about regs and the area.

First, I have an ATV, all I have found was a post from 2008 that said ATV use was permitted. That still the case?

Second, we want to go after yellow perch and other spicies native to the area. Is there a spot guide service that anyone knows about? I have everything and have fished for 30 years. I’m willing to pay for some guidance so we can reduce the learning curve.

Last, where to stay? I’ll be pulling an enclosed trailer (6x12) with all of my gear so parking should be considered.

Thank you!
Teach a kid to fish and hunt and they will be resourceful, smart and confident. Today's world is much different than the one I knew as a child. They need these skills even more than I did.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Midwesterner headed to the big lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2018, 05:17 PM »
Don’t waste money on a guide. Read posts and you will get info. We have a new sponsor on the by board this year, anchorage cabins in south hero. They are right on the lake and have plenty parking for trailers etc. Puts you in a good spot to go find fish as well. Perch bite can be had in a lot of places. St. Albans bay, cowbanks, keepers bay, tabors point, Papasqash island, basically anywhere in the inland sea will produce perch. The locals fish with bibits, but Hali’s, tungstens, and other assorted jigs will catch them. The local bait shops will give info on where the bite is on, bayside bait and tackle in St. Albans is a great resource as they buy perch so they have a vested interest in helping people catch them. Dockside will give info on catching salmon (hit or miss), pike, walleye (very elusive in vt)
If u have tip ups pike fishing in the inland sea can be great in the area north of the bridge between Swanton and alburg, but bait prices here are outrageous and u can’t get anything worth a damn because of the bait laws, and the fact that all bait comes from hog island bait, and they are pretty terrible. But anyway the past posts will help u find fish and we are all willing to give advise. Search the board for a species or post a question and people will give hints. Also it’s a big lake, navionics on a phone will be helpful in finding structure that holds fish, but they can also roam featureless areas so it’s a crapshoot sometimes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.