Author Topic: Eskimo Pistol Bit vs KDrill  (Read 16017 times)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Eskimo Pistol Bit vs KDrill
« on: Dec 09, 2018, 01:26 PM »
A lot of discussions going on about this one.   Here's my thoughts:

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Eskimo Pistol Bit vs KDrill
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2018, 01:36 PM »
Nice review thanks ..I love my8"  Kdrill ..its center point is a great plus .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2018, 01:59 PM »

<===Lefty===

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2018, 03:04 PM »
The Eskimo has a plastic cutting head?  That would make me nervous.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2018, 06:15 PM »
Nice review thanks ..I love my8"  Kdrill ..its center point is a great plus .
Did he say the kdrill isn't a 8" but its advertised as a 8" the pistol bit got over 20% more holes with a true 8" auger bit and seemed much faster and was lighter.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2018, 07:43 PM »
Dtro Awesome review!!! exactly what I found. Sticking with the K-drill though safer with the point. I found the blades on the Eskimo did not look good after the short while I used it. Eskimo is faster but the Regular Mora hand auger worked about the same. K-Drill for me I can overlap for those huge Pike I try for ;D

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2018, 08:03 PM »
Great review. Thank you for putting that together and sharing it.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2018, 08:18 PM »
Great review, thanks for taking the time..

Looking forward to reports about the HT e-drill, it has a center point..

<°)))>{

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2018, 06:50 AM »
Did he say the kdrill isn't a 8" but its advertised as a 8" the pistol bit got over 20% more holes with a true 8" auger bit and seemed much faster and was lighter.

Yes, the KDrill only measures 7.5

A shaver blade (Eskimo) will always cut more holes than a comparable chipper (KDrill).

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2018, 06:51 AM »
Great review. Thank you for putting that together and sharing it.

Thanks

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2018, 10:23 AM »
Haven't touched one of the Pistol drills yet but was very surprised that it "appears" that the lower assembly that the blades are bolted to is plastic?

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2018, 11:45 AM »

Someone already cut up their foot with the pistol bit.  Do you own an electric drill auger?  I have an 8" kdrill, an 8" mora, and recently got a 7" mini nero, also had an 8" Nils with the power point but it got dull quickly and wouldn't cut. Yesterday I used the nero side by side to the k and it doesn't come close to breaking through the ice as smooth as the k drill. Chippers are different than shavers, if you don't need 100 holes a day through 20" then K is the way to go IMO.

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2018, 11:55 AM »
Awesome job on the video. I've got the 8" KDrill. Pretty happy with it so far going into the 3rd year of use. I like having the centering bit and the chipper blades because of their longevity compared to shavers. I'm still using the original blades even after drilling well over 600+ holes with them. I've been using the 9.0 Milwaukee battery since last year and that usually can make it through an entire day of fishing until the ice gets more than 25" thick. I do have 2 5.0 batteries that I have in my rod bag for backups but I can retire those for fishing soon since I'll be getting the 12.0 battery for Christmas. The Pistol does look like a nice auger though. Just doesn't have enough pro's against the KDrill for me to switch.

Offline ayvexp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2018, 12:04 PM »
Those are pretty impressive numbers for the pistol.  If my math is correct, the pistol drilled 30% more holes, that were 13% bigger by area, meaning that shaver blades are almost 50% more efficient at cutting ice than the chipper blades. 

The pistol really didn't look that hard to control without the point and was blazing fast.  It honestly seems like a pretty compelling alternative to the K-Drill. 

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2018, 12:35 PM »
I just got my stitches taken out last week from the "didn't look hard to control" ;D :o K-Drill for me. Happened so fast I still play it through my mind it happened fast.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2018, 12:45 PM »
I just got my stitches taken out last week from the "didn't look hard to control" ;D :o K-Drill for me. Happened so fast I still play it through my mind it happened fast.

You mean from the pistol bit?

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2018, 01:05 PM »
I bet on glare ice, it could get a bit dicey both with footing and the auger wanting to slide around a bit.   I’m only speaking for myself (since I was the person in the video) that I didn’t have any major issues with the 69 holes I drilled. Worked very well in fact.   Dull blades and different ice conditions could make it worse I'm sure.    I was expecting around 40% better numbers with the Pistol and that’s pretty close to what I got.   Kdrill historically has been about 1.5” of ice/sec and looks like the Pistol will be closer to 2”/sec.    Faster, less energy required, and a bigger hole.    That darn disk though is a pain to get the chuck nice and tight.    I did come across a video of a guy that the KDrill foam float on the Eskimo.   Good idea!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2018, 01:16 PM »

Having to go get stitched up between holes sure screws up the efficiency of the Pistol. Glad to hear you are healing up

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2018, 01:27 PM »
Cool video! Just a heads up up, I’m pretty sure I saw a pretty good chip/chunck broken off of the point on your Kdrill! I wouldn’t think it’d make that much of a difference though

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2018, 01:28 PM »
It looked like PB blades were at enough of an angle that the two of them together could "act like a centering bit"? Or did the KD have blades aranged similarly? Can't ever lol:)

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2018, 01:30 PM »
Cool video! Just a heads up up, I’m pretty sure I saw a pretty good chip/chunck broken off of the point on your Kdrill! I wouldn’t think it’d make that much of a difference though

Thats just how it is.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2018, 01:39 PM »

Thanks for the heads up.  I noticed the same thing too.  It might be broken, I'll take a look at it tonight.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2018, 01:46 PM »
I'll look at mine too but I'm pretty sure it has a notch.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2018, 01:47 PM »
Yep, looks to be the design:

https://kdrillauger.com/tag/blades/

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2018, 03:38 PM »
Yep Sorry guys it was the Pistol bit. As Dtro has said you must exercise caution on glare ice as that's when I got hurt. I think the Pistol is a good product just not for me. The Pistol in my opinion would not be a good choice for young people. I need something that works well in all situations. I too found my bit in the drink because I could not get the chuck tight enough. I did use it on the Clam plate worked better but kind of defeats the purpose

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 10, 2018, 03:56 PM »
Why get the pistol bit over any other shaver?  If you want speed won't a mora/lazer/nero do the same job?

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2018, 04:01 PM »
The Pistol is lighter has a smoother break through other than that your right the others work just as well. I use a 6 inch Eskimo shaver and works great I use the K drill when the wife comes with or I do tip ups overlapping the holes. I get a few more holes with the Eskimo hand auger shaver style. I still prefer the K drill.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 10, 2018, 05:30 PM »
Ions didn’t have centering points at first either and I didn’t hear of any amputated feet!?! Be careful not to pick up your lawn mower to trim shrubs, that’ll hurt you too. Sounds pretty far out to me.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 10, 2018, 05:33 PM »
Do ions have centering points now?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2018, 05:49 PM »
The X does.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum