Author Topic: Best inside features of your Permy  (Read 1629 times)

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best inside features of your Permy
« on: Dec 09, 2018, 09:17 AM »
Hey guys. Just looking for ideas on what to do with the inside of the permy I’m building.

Just wondering what feature of your home built shack you like best or use most that someone might not have thought of?

Do more like built in furniture with storage or the open floor plan? Fold up tables? Cabinets/shelves? Drying racks?

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Best inside features of your Permy
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2018, 12:07 PM »
YouTube has plenty of videos to give you ideas.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2018, 12:36 PM »
Drying rack above the heater, fan to circulate heat, shelf @ the holes for depth finder, rod holders, folding chair, led light strip to name a few.

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2018, 07:52 PM »
How big and how fancy? You can never have enough 12 Vic outlets, and 120vac if you are going to look up for a generator. Also, depending on size and amenities, wire for underwater camera hookups.  Flooring type is also some for consideration.... my next build I am going to put in rubber floor or vinyl planks

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2018, 10:32 PM »
Depth finder shelves is something new that I hadn’t thought of. Are you saying like eye level so it helps your neck or just above so it’s out of the way?

And thanks for the YouTube suggestion. I was looking for more clever ideas that aren’t as common to find on generic videos

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2018, 10:33 PM »
How big and how fancy? You can never have enough 12 Vic outlets, and 120vac if you are going to look up for a generator. Also, depending on size and amenities, wire for underwater camera hookups.  Flooring type is also some for consideration.... my next build I am going to put in rubber floor or vinyl planks

Yeah I’m not quite that fancy. That’ll be the next shack a few years down tue Road

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:04 PM »
Depth finder shelves is something new that I hadn’t thought of. Are you saying like eye level so it helps your neck or just above so it’s out of the way?

And thanks for the YouTube suggestion. I was looking for more clever ideas that aren’t as common to find on generic videos

It is just nice to get them off the floor a bit. I like the catch cover brackets that let you use your hole covers as shelves. Perfect for your vexilar

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:19 PM »
Never seen those before to be honest but it’s a good idea!

Offline EmptyPockets410

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2018, 11:23 PM »
I like a lot of hooks and a lot of shelves for gear storage. I'm not a fan of built in seating, takes up to much room, makes the shack heavier, and isn't usually as comfortable. I use a folding chair, but was thinking of upgrading to an office chair. I have a simple rod holder on the wall I just built with a couple 1x4s with holes using a 2 inch hole saw. I also keep a bottle opener and metal bucket that I use to fill with snow and beer. As well as a "running bucket" ready to go chase tip ups when a flag goes off with anything I need in it ready to repair, rebait, or recover fish on the fly. I use rattle wheels when fishing by myself for the holes on the far side of my shack when I run a jig pole. Also I heat with propane so I put in a CO2 detector.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2018, 11:43 AM »
Yeah I think you’re right about the built in furniture. Definitely would be hard to make comfy and would be heavy too.

Does anybody use cots or hammocks for sleeping in? That may be easier than building a bed anyway?

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2018, 01:22 PM »
Yeah I think you’re right about the built in furniture. Definitely would be hard to make comfy and would be heavy too.

Does anybody use cots or hammocks for sleeping in? That may be easier than building a bed anyway?

Instead of spending $20 on a hammock you're better off buying a $50 cot that will fold up nice and small. Hammock will be a pain because the comfort of your sleep will depend on hang height and angle which is a pain to set inside a shanty. A cot will also stay warm with covers, a hammock drains heat from the bottom because of the air passing under (unless insulate or matted) 
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2018, 01:26 PM »
A 12 pack.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:51 AM »

Instead of spending $20 on a hammock you're better off buying a $50 cot that will fold up nice and small. Hammock will be a pain because the comfort of your sleep will depend on hang height and angle which is a pain to set inside a shanty. A cot will also stay warm with covers, a hammock drains heat from the bottom because of the air passing under (unless insulate or matted)

Yeah you’re definitely right. I can never get in a good position in a hammock. I just happen to already have one. Cot is definitely a better long term idea. Would an air mattress be cold to sleep on or would the air insulate you better from the floor just as well as a cot?

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:57 AM »
A 12 pack.

Just staying for the morning bite? What about the afternoon and night bite?

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:57 AM »
Would an air mattress be cold to sleep on or would the air insulate you better from the floor just as well as a cot?

It depends on the temp at which you sleep.  If you go no-heat, then an old-fashioned, non-insulated air mattress will be cold to sleep on.  Some of the more modern options like a Therm-A-Rest Mondoking would be very nice.  If you keep it at-home warm, then it doesn't matter.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:15 PM »

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:22 PM »
It depends on the temp at which you sleep.  If you go no-heat, then an old-fashioned, non-insulated air mattress will be cold to sleep on.  Some of the more modern options like a Therm-A-Rest Mondoking would be very nice.  If you keep it at-home warm, then it doesn't matter.

Heat would need to be on to keep the mrs. I have yet to see how well my ancient direct vent heater regulates heat so it may be warm or it may be cold. Haha. I do have an air mattress hanging around already so I may try that first.

Never heard of thermarest but I suppose there’s some pretty cool products out there for backpackers and such

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.