Author Topic: Octane/Nero - thanks 3300, lefty, chilly, stinky, et. al.  (Read 554 times)

Offline littlepineguy

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for all the helpful input (and deal tracking) on the new Ridgid drill and the Nero auger.  I've been running a 10" Lazer pro which has been great to me, but was looking for something lighter for early ice and panfish.  Finally got the Nero yesterday and what a treat this combo is! I would guess it cuts almost twice as fast as my Lazer (I know 7" vs. 10", but still) and the walking/wobbling/high torque issues that some mentioned weren't anything like I was expecting. Outside of really thick ice or going after hogs, I can't imagine the gasser will be joining me on too many trips going forward. 

One question: Is anyone using the auxiliary handle on the Ridgid? I'm not, just the handle that comes on the Nero drill adapter and it seems to be fine.  Curious if I'm missing out there.

Anyway, thanks again to all who have been reviewing these  products, as a drill newbie your comments were immensely helpful.

LPG

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Octane/Nero - thanks 3300, lefty, chilly, stinky, et. al.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2018, 08:43 AM »
curious, where did you go for your nero, and how much? thanks

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2018, 08:57 AM »
Better use the Ridgid Handle and ditch the Nero one. If it catches you will know why.
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2018, 09:33 AM »
thanks for thanking all of us helping out here, that was nice to see. glad we could help. that free drill deal is still going on if anyone is looking to upgrade their auger system. chilly  is who found out they were in stock and who found the combo deal.

please use the auxiliary handle on the drill and don't use the nero for a handle while drilling. it will hurt you. you need the most control you can muster from the drill, not the auger. keep the aux. handle and drill close to your person (if you have parts that can catch clothes watch so they don't get too close) so if the bit gets caught in the hole your body can help hold it all from twisting around and cause wrist or shoulder injury. you can remove it, but it will help from losing it down the hole when the chuck lets go of the bit. i was talking to ht at the ice fishing show about it, but they all hand drill because it cuts so easy and fast.

i have concerns about the drill aux. handle and if it can handle a large auger when it gets caught or not, so i did buy a clam plate. i don't like all the added weight and bulk of the plate, but i wouldn't like a hospital bill or be permanently damaged, so i am playing it safe with moving up to a 8 inch laxer bit from a 6 inch lazer bit. i'll know more after i use it for a while if i want to ditch the clam plate.

if you end up with the plate, i had to move the drill mounting plate all the way towards the chuck/auger shaft and put the trigger bolt onto the long slot that holds the drill along with the u bolt.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2018, 12:39 PM »
3300, I've run a Milwaukee Fuel without the Clam plate using both an 8" Nils and an 8" LazerMag and both beat the snot out of me whenever there was a catch or at breakthrough. The Clam plate gave me the leverage and trigger control I couldn't get with just the auxiliary drill handle. This season it's a Ridgid Octane for the power unit and a 7" Nero down below and so far this is a combo I'll be sticking with. Wouldn't know what more to ask for.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2018, 12:53 PM »
thanks for the info! always better safe than sorry.
so your stepping down to the 7 nero from the 8's because of how the others caught or break thru issues? i thought about buying the lazer 7, but wanted to try the 8. the lazer 6 has always performed well and i wanted to try some thing bigger for more room fishing from one hole with electronics in the same hole.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2018, 01:32 PM »
thanks for the info! always better safe than sorry.
so your stepping down to the 7 nero from the 8's because of how the others caught or break thru issues? i thought about buying the lazer 7, but wanted to try the 8. the lazer 6 has always performed well and i wanted to try some thing bigger for more room fishing from one hole with electronics in the same hole.
Actually, I went with a 7" auger since that was the biggest Nero had put on the market though they may well come out with an 8" next year. However, I've been out three time with the 7" and it feels perfectly adequate even with a transducer in play. I don't miss the additional inch and I feel pretty confident in sticking with the 7" going forward. If I ever get to the point of not being able to squeeze my catch through a 7" hole I might rethink it. It comes down to realizing what you need versus what you wish you needed.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.