Author Topic: electric socks  (Read 1188 times)

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
electric socks
« on: Dec 07, 2018, 04:22 PM »
anyone use these things?do they really work? I see some for 200 bucks..
share your thoughts please..thanks
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: electric socks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2018, 04:25 PM »
Never used them but friends say they are the best thing ever....

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2018, 04:28 PM »
With good boots, you wont even need wool socks.

Biggest issue is foot sweat. Eliminate that and your good to go. Feet sweat they get cold, fast.

Spend the money on a good set of boots.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2018, 04:32 PM »
never say never, some people just have poor circulation in their feet or hands and maybe can benefit from some extra help.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2018, 04:34 PM »
never say never, some people just have poor circulation in their feet or hands and maybe can benefit from some extra help.

True
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2018, 04:43 PM »
I've used the older styles, one that used D dells in a pocket on each sock, and one that was C dells with wire that you had to run down through your pants. I haven't tried any of the newer designs yet. The old ones were warm, and with them being wool socks your feet would sweat but not get very cold. Another option now are the heated insoles with wireless remote operation. They heat just enough to be warm, but not excessively to cause sweat. Got a pair for my dad and he loves them.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2018, 05:03 PM »
I am another poster who does not have them myself, but know a few people with them. Most I know use them for skiing or hunting. The ability to turn them on an off easily with the new models is a huge plus. And I haven't heard too many people tell me their feet get too hot. I would imagine on the days when your feet would get too hot, you wouldnt have put on your heated socks in the first place. Out of everyone I know who uses them, no one has ever told me they were not worth it. I dont struggle with cold feet so I don't have them but I have considered getting them simply due to the first hand reports I have gotten. Now I dont think you would need to get a 200$ pair, but I havent searched around much to price them but i think you can rechargable ones for the 50-100 range easy
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline flyhaven

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2018, 07:25 PM »
I researched these,but am undecided myself.I did see a trick online where a guy glues Mylar to the bottoms of insoles in ski boots to reflect heat.I thought about maybe trying this,but if you walk a lot not sure if it would make the insole slide around inside the boot at all.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2018, 04:44 AM »
I just picked up a set of heated insoles to try this year.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2018, 05:14 AM »
As I've said before...if I need electric socks (or toe warmers) I need a better boot. I have not-so-good circulation as well, so I use a thin thermal sock, a good wool sock and quality boot. Batteries are just something else to buy,carry,change etc. But that's just me.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2018, 09:24 AM »
I always said that too till I went on high blood pressure meds...been fishing on the hard water 40 years and always was able to clear holes with my hands and my feet never got cold with good boots. Toes get very cold now as do finger tips so this may be a solution for me!
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2018, 02:16 PM »
I always said that too till I went on high blood pressure meds...been fishing on the hard water 40 years and always was able to clear holes with my hands and my feet never got cold with good boots. Toes get very cold now as do finger tips so this may be a solution for me!

I hear ya bro...sucks tohave to deal with it..

Offline Hoserman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2018, 04:21 PM »
For me a good felt liner boot works well to keep my feet warm. Hands are another matter. The only gloves I found that kept my hands warm were the same ones worn by Muhammed Ali, and they don't work too well ice fishing. That's why I use a hunters muff.
Tried ice fishing with Dynamite, UGH... where's my shanty?

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2018, 08:18 AM »
didn,t know Ali was an icefisherman. would have loved to share a shanty with him. lol. wire

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2018, 12:34 PM »
Too true! Started last year, never been bothered before now my hands really hurt when it gets into the teens. Must be getting old.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2018, 12:39 PM »
If I'm sitting on the ice, I use a heated vest to warm my core. in the deer stand I use that & heated gloves, so socks/insoles wouldn't be a stretch. I haven't taken that leap yet.

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2018, 02:30 PM »
problem with the heated insoles I found is they don't fit my boots..they

say one size fits all..not in my case..now they might work in my felt

lined boots..they aint no good in my muck boots as they make the boot

too darn tight..

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2018, 02:43 PM »
they say one size fits all..not in my case..

In our family when something is one-size-only, we call it "one size fits none."  While not technically true, it catches on really well.

I've used a jon-e warmer and lots of disposable warmer products, but never tried any of the electric stuff.  Maybe when I'm too old to warm myself.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2018, 11:20 AM »
My wife works for a ski.and snowboard tuning machine company. One of the side businesses they own is Hotronic. I have been using Hotronic XLP One Heated Socks for several years now. They work great inside waders when I float tube in cold water and great in ski boots. Never needed them for ice fishing yet, imagine they would work good there too.
https://www.amazon.com/Hotronic-Heat-Sock-Classic-Large/dp/B01M6Y5EWE/ref=asc_df_B01M6Y5EWE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312128224504&hvpos=1o6&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10517653640988687081&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1014208&hvtargid=pla-567865895959&psc=1

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2018, 12:43 PM »
My wife works for a ski.and snowboard tuning machine company. One of the side businesses they own is Hotronic. I have been using Hotronic XLP One Heated Socks for several years now. They work great inside waders when I float tube in cold water and great in ski boots. Never needed them for ice fishing yet, imagine they would work good there too.
https://www.amazon.com/Hotronic-Heat-Sock-Classic-Large/dp/B01M6Y5EWE/ref=asc_df_B01M6Y5EWE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312128224504&hvpos=1o6&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10517653640988687081&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1014208&hvtargid=pla-567865895959&psc=1

Oh, Hotronic that's funny, I used to work in a high end ski and bike shop and I made custom footbeds for skiers and often added the Hotronic heated system to the footbeds. Probably installed hundreds of Hotronics systems. 
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Bearseatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2018, 12:58 PM »
Lenz Battery Heated Socks you can control them with a app but it has a high price tag of almost $300 crazy.....
In winter we become gods and walk on water....

Offline Tjtroutslayer89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team ConnectScale
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2018, 01:48 PM »
Found field and stream ones for 30 bucks I’ll be sure to post how they work. Now the hands is another story...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.