Author Topic: Best light line  (Read 1163 times)

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best light line
« on: Dec 05, 2018, 08:53 AM »
Whats the best line you've used? Last year I re spooled for perch/walleye with a 6lb fluorocarbon. I regret that terribly, the line seams to really hold the shape of the spool therefore tangles horrible.. any suggestions?

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Best light line
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2018, 09:32 AM »
6# fluorocarbon works for me, but only Invisix and Halo lines among many others I had tried over the years. I also had to choose a light (unless your arm is super strong) reel with a spool arbor of approximately over 3/4" in diameter.

Offline 3rdgenrf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2018, 12:32 PM »
I use Fireline ice crystal. No memory and very sensitive.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2018, 12:59 PM »
Plain old trilene micro ice mono.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2018, 01:09 PM »
Plain old trilene micro ice mono.

X2
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline swc21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2018, 05:56 PM »
For walleye and perch I use 4# braid with mono leader if fishing in the shack. (Braid ices up bad in the cold.) Outside I like 4# fireline. It ices up but not near as bad as braided line. I moved away from mono years ago due to memory issues that get worse with depth. Fishing 20+ fow with mono greatly reduces your feel on the line. Especially important in the dead of winter when the fish are lethargic.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2018, 06:44 PM »
For Perch I use 4 and 6 pound power pro with a 3 to 5 foot section of Fluorocarbon tied on. I would never spool a whole reel of fluoro to expensive and too stiff. I use an alberto knot but I double the braid end first. Walleye  8 and ten pound 832 or power pro with fluoro leaders up to 12Lb test but mostly use my perch rods.For Pike I use 20Lb braid with 80 to 100 LB fluorocarbon leaders .I use titanium and heavy fluoro when making my quick strike rigs.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2018, 07:52 PM »
For Perch I use 4 and 6 pound power pro with a 3 to 5 foot section of Fluorocarbon tied on. I would never spool a whole reel of fluoro to expensive and too stiff. I use an alberto knot but I double the braid end first. Walleye  8 and ten pound 832 or power pro with fluoro leaders up to 12Lb test but mostly use my perch rods.For Pike I use 20Lb braid with 80 to 100 LB fluorocarbon leaders .I use titanium and heavy fluoro when making my quick strike rigs.
[/q

Do you tie or crimp your titanium?

Offline CookieCrumbler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2018, 07:13 AM »
P-line 8lb florocarbon for everything except pike. Never had a break off, works great and lasts

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.