Author Topic: Garmin Echomap 73DV - Using open water transducer  (Read 672 times)

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Garmin Echomap 73DV - Using open water transducer
« on: Nov 28, 2018, 10:09 AM »
I just bought a Garmin Echomap 73DV to replace the Lowrance Elite-5 on the bow of my boat. But I want to try it on the ice also. I really don't want to spend another $100 on an Ice transducer. I know people have used open water transducers on the ice by coiling the transducer cable just right so it hangs parallel to the water. I tried this with my Elite-5 before actually buying the ice pack that includes the ice transducer. But coiling it up was touch-and-go to get it to hang right. What I really want to do is mound the transducer to the end of a PVC pipe and place it in the hole. I've watched a few YouTube videos that were similar but instead of ice fishing they were mounting to a kayak. I just want it to hang straight and be long enough to be completely under the ice. Oh, and not be too bulky. Maybe I'm asking too much. I believe the Echomap 73DV will fit in the Lowrance ice bag. If you have any ideas on how to use an open water transducer for ice fishing send them my way.

Thanks,

jbird68
jbird68

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
Re: Garmin Echomap 73DV - Using open water transducer
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2018, 12:23 PM »
I have 73sv I use open water ducer for ice.

Works fine. I really just mounted mine on a wooden handle for like an axe. Drilled holes in about 2 inch increments. I use a fiberglass driveway marker to run through hole to keep ducer from falling through hole.

I can get pics later when I am home if you like

I used a Tommy bahama bag my wife had that holds my finder and battery.  It has worked out pretty well so far.

Never had an issue with ducer not reading due to angle in water. Can also angle ducer to shoot off to sides and spin handle to get a better 360 view.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.