Author Topic: fish ponds/dugouts  (Read 1633 times)

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
fish ponds/dugouts
« on: Nov 26, 2018, 09:10 PM »
I am just curious who has or has had a fish pond here in sk.  I wish catfish could make it   fished in so many catfish bass blue gill ponds in the usa   i know our winters would/could kill but you would think trout could make it   curious on depth aeration feed   Thanks in advance

Offline 3rdgenrf

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: fish ponds/dugouts
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2018, 12:33 PM »
We had a good sized pond right beside our house where I grew up with a dock. Was 18ft deep in the middle. We put 1000 rainbows in every year for about 4 years. They wintered well with no areation. We just kept a fairly big patch of the snow cleared.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2018, 01:06 PM »

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2018, 03:39 PM »
I have a dugout with some rainbow trout in it.
It's not a big dugout, but, the fish seem to be doing OK so-far.
The max depth is 12 feet. I do have an aerator windmill installed, so they get oxygen when ever the wind blows.

I feed my fish a margarine container of food once or twice a week when the weather is cool.
Once it gets too hot I have had a few fish die off in the past, if I fed them in the heat. I don't do that anymore.
With the dugout being as shallow as it is, they are a bit stressed when it gets hot and the addition of trying to digest a big meal can be too much for them.
When it's hot the trout usually get all they need to eat the from the aquatic life in the dugout.

I do try to feed them once or twice a winter as well.
I just cut a hole in the ice and when the trout food get water logged enough it slowly sinks.
The fish are usually waiting right under the ice to eat the food as it falls.

This is my 2nd batch of trout in this dugout.
My first batch was getting to a fair size 3 - 5 lbs, but, one winter a few years ago I had a muskrat chew through my air hose. Come spring I found all the trout floating belly up. >:(
Now this time I have added sections of steel pipe so no muskrat or beaver will be able chew through this new air hose, plus it's now out of view along the bottom.

My dugout really dropped in depth this year due to the lack of rain, hopefully they will make it through this winter, only time will tell. :-\

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.