The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Laker rod  (Read 3722 times)

Offline notonmywatch

• IceShanty Rookie
Laker rod
« on: Nov 25, 2018, 05:55 PM »
Greetings,

I am looking for recommendations for a rod for Lakers.  I fish in a hut so 44" or shorter is necessary so I don't hit the top of the tent.  I am searching for something that can catch pups as well as handle the big boys.  I'm thinking a medium-heavy, but would like to hear what others think. Currently I use a cheap HT Laker pro which works ok, but I'm looking to upgrade. Thanks for your help.  Let's rip some lips and catch a few tree shakers! 

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Laker rod
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2018, 06:27 PM »
Best over the counter stick to match a custom build would be the Jason Mitchell Dead Meat Rod, 36" Medium action. I've handled this rod, quality guides and also know the blank it's built on. I cannot build this stick for the $40 price tag it sells for.  :tipup:

Offline notonmywatch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2018, 07:21 PM »
Thanks for the info.  It sounds like an excellent rod.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2018, 10:23 PM »
Best over the counter stick to match a custom build would be the Jason Mitchell Dead Meat Rod, 36" Medium action. I've handled this rod, quality guides and also know the blank it's built on. I cannot build this stick for the $40 price tag it sells for.  :tipup:
That sounds like a big thumbs up for me too! I might have to see if I can get my hands on one of these and give them a feel.  I’m currently planning on using the $15 ugly stick dock rod, but was also looking to see what else is out there too.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2018, 11:28 AM »
I have not had great luck with the Jason Mitchell Laker rods.  Too soft, too easy to break IMHO.  I have tried lots of different rods, I like the Jaw Jacker XXH rod for Lake trout.  It is has some action at the tip and is not pool cue stiff, but it has a nice stiff butt to put the heat on a good fish.  Plus they are pretty cheap;)

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2018, 04:11 PM »
Greetings,

I am looking for recommendations for a rod for Lakers.  I fish in a hut so 44" or shorter is necessary so I don't hit the top of the tent.  I am searching for something that can catch pups as well as handle the big boys.  I'm thinking a medium-heavy, but would like to hear what others think. Currently I use a cheap HT Laker pro which works ok, but I'm looking to upgrade. Thanks for your help.  Let's rip some lips and catch a few tree shakers!

I fish tuned up custom rods and they have a few rods for lakers. if you go to their website you can select rod type, length, thread wrap color and handel that you want. These are the best quality and most sensitive rods ive ever held as well as lightest rods. well well worth the money.

In my experience i've spent more and more money trying to find a rod that did all i wanted it to on a specific species than i would have just getting a TUCR to begin with. I own 5 of them now and they are very versatile and extremely sensitive with the best backbone transitions i've ever seen in a rod.

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2018, 05:44 PM »
I fish tuned up custom rods and they have a few rods for lakers. if you go to their website you can select rod type, length, thread wrap color and handel that you want. These are the best quality and most sensitive rods ive ever held as well as lightest rods. well well worth the money.

In my experience i've spent more and more money trying to find a rod that did all i wanted it to on a specific species than i would have just getting a TUCR to begin with. I own 5 of them now and they are very versatile and extremely sensitive with the best backbone transitions i've ever seen in a rod.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Ive been wanting to get a laker rod as well but cant decided on length and what action to get I myself like a soft tip rod ive heard sometimes  lakers hit soft.    what rod length and action do you like best?                 

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2018, 05:56 PM »
gloomis are you fishing inside a tent or outside? I like a longer rod for lake trout for right next to the hole to keep em pinned. Inside a shack the rod size has to be smaller. I have a Jason Mitchell and It's a real good rod. I use Ugly Sticks if the fish are big. The 48" heavy. I just built a 42" Basskang blank lake trout model. Feels real good can't wait to hook something on it soft tip good back bone.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline notonmywatch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2018, 09:26 PM »
I bought the Dead stick 36" medium action and the mackinaw heavy 42". They are both from Clam and pretty cheap.  I'll let ya know how they handle. 

Offline notonmywatch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2018, 09:28 PM »
I use an ugly stick for jigging from the boat ( it is a short guy).  Love it, but haven't found a short enough ugly stick for the hut. 

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2018, 11:16 PM »
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Ive been wanting to get a laker rod as well but cant decided on length and what action to get I myself like a soft tip rod ive heard sometimes  lakers hit soft.    what rod length and action do you like best?               

I use a 36 inch for every rod no matter the spices im going for. If i was you i would get the commander in 36"+ that rod has an amazing tip that is sensitive. I don't go by action anymore as the TUCR are just specie and technique specific. If you go to https://tunedupcustomrods.com/shop/tucr-commander-ice-rod/ and read the description at the bottom i think you will find this is the rod that you are looking for.

Offline notonmywatch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2018, 11:30 PM »
They are sweet custom rods, but a bit pricey.  I look for quality for a great price. 

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2018, 12:49 AM »
I use an ugly stick for jigging from the boat ( it is a short guy).  Love it, but haven't found a short enough ugly stick for the hut.
The ugly stick dock runner is 36”. They’re $15 each as a rod and reel combo, I got two and replaced the reel. Though I’m thinking about giving one of the stock reels a test run anyway, they passed the freezer test anyway so I don’t have to degrease and re lube.

Offline notonmywatch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2018, 12:51 AM »
What lengths in the ugly stick mentioned above, and do they have medium-heavy?  Love ugly sticks!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2018, 12:57 AM »
They only come in 36” mediums as far as I know. But compared to the GX2 combos I have, the actions is closer to the 30” MH ice rod.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2018, 10:09 AM »
http://www.uglystik.com/uglystik-rods-spinning-rods

Here is a list of Ugly Stik ice rods 30" also check the page for other sizes. I've "collected" all kinds of sizes of Ugly Stiks and they just hold up and work.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2018, 10:23 AM »
i love the HT polar

Offline brownb56

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2018, 02:49 AM »
I forget what length I got but there is a guy out of Denver making custom laker rods that is pretty popular with the trophy lake trout guys on the gorge. Sensitive enough for pups. Biggest I've brought in with mine is 25lbs. But lots of 30+ lb fish caught with his rods. Look up Jeff Fetters on Facebook if interested.

Teach a man to fish and he will have food for life, teach a woman to fish and he will be happy for life.

Offline ND_Outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2018, 09:07 AM »
Try out the Scheels Outfitters NOS rods in 36" MH

They are great rods for Lake Winnepeg and big lakers

Also the St Croix casting handle rods look like a great set up. I have one but it hasnt been used yet.

Offline MackMan23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2018, 10:40 PM »
HT ice blue 44"...it's fiberglass with big eyes and takes a beating...and it's 20 bucks...

Offline notonmywatch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2018, 07:13 PM »
Just a heads up the dead meat stick was a great rod, but broke the tip while catching a laker.  It isn't a great rod for lakers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.