The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Wisconsin trip suggestion  (Read 1647 times)

Offline ufflmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
Wisconsin trip suggestion
« on: Nov 15, 2018, 02:32 PM »
I am in central Illinois about 3 1/2 hrs from the Illinois Wisconsin border. I was hoping to get a few suggestions from some Wisconsonites on a location for a trip. I was hoping to keep it to a 8 hour drive so I guess that gives me around 4 hours or so from the border. I was hoping to do something like a 4-5 day stay at a rental cabin on a (relatively) smaller body of water. While I have plenty of ice gear for where I live we fish very small bodies of water so I do not have a quad or UTV. I would also be open to hiring a guide for at least part of the time I am there. It would be a buddy and me as well as our wives. The wives would probably not fish much so decent amenities would be preferred. Big gills, crappie, and walleye would be my preference. I really appreciate any advise you locals might be able to offer!

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wisconsin trip suggestion
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2018, 04:07 PM »
Have the wives guide your trip a bit to may help you dial in a location? (Happy wife happy life)

Are there certain places they want to see?  IE Door County/Sturgeon Bay?... this area has great guide services and great "things to do on shore" for them along with great walleye/perch/whitefish guides.

Wives Packer Fans?  ... Guide service out of green bay/oconto/east shore and they could do packer hall of fame etc.

Lake Winnebago guide services Appleton/Oshkosh/Fondulac area.  Appleton has tons of retails and outlet stores.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2018, 04:16 PM »
Yep, VI nailed it. Green Bay area gets you great fishing with knowledgeable guides and plenty to keep the rest occupied.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2018, 09:29 AM »
I am in central Illinois about 3 1/2 hrs from the Illinois Wisconsin border. I was hoping to get a few suggestions from some Wisconsonites on a location for a trip. I was hoping to keep it to a 8 hour drive so I guess that gives me around 4 hours or so from the border. I was hoping to do something like a 4-5 day stay at a rental cabin on a (relatively) smaller body of water. While I have plenty of ice gear for where I live we fish very small bodies of water so I do not have a quad or UTV. I would also be open to hiring a guide for at least part of the time I am there. It would be a buddy and me as well as our wives. The wives would probably not fish much so decent amenities would be preferred. Big gills, crappie, and walleye would be my preference. I really appreciate any advise you locals might be able to offer!

I know a guy who has a lake house on the WI/MI boarder who may be looking to rent it out for a week. Palmer Lake in Vilas Co. ;D

Offline ufflmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2018, 09:48 AM »
Thanks for all the replies! I would definitely be interested in getting more info on the lake house rental. I really only need a small house though, not looking for any of the big/expensive sleeps 12+ kind of places as it will only be 4 of us.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2018, 11:36 AM »
Thanks for all the replies! I would definitely be interested in getting more info on the lake house rental. I really only need a small house though, not looking for any of the big/expensive sleeps 12+ kind of places as it will only be 4 of us.

It's my 4 bedroom, 2 full bath.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2018, 12:29 PM »
If you want to go a little further north...Lake Goegebic in U.P. of Michigan. Big perch and decent walleye fisherie with guide service.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2018, 01:28 PM »
If you want to go a little further north...Lake Goegebic in U.P. of Michigan. Big perch and decent walleye fisherie with guide service.

I'm actually thinking about staying up there a few days, it's an hr from my place and I've been out with Sibley last season and have him book for a day over Christmas. Problem is the wives. Not much to do in Bergland come Jan/Feb unless they love to fish or sled.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2018, 08:05 PM »
 There are some great options for housing and guides around the Castle Rock and Petenwell area, 2 to 3 hours north of the border

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2018, 08:20 PM »
The Lacrosse area on the Mississippi is gorgeous.  Google Mike McCormick as a guide.  Big gills, big perch, big everything!

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2018, 08:53 AM »
Mike McCormick is a friend of the family and a great guide for the Mississippi, highly recommended if you head that way.

I'd avoid Green Bay if you're hoping for panfish and walleye, not much on the Bay for that. You can find them, and good quality, but they are few and far between. Whitefish are fun but completely different than anything you would have done before. They don't do it for me anymore but is worth at least one trip at some point.

Hayward area, Minocqua area, or Vilas county would be my suggestions for nice cabins on small lakes with great guides. I think you'd be looking at about a 9 hour drive then, depending on what side of IL you're on. Lakes are abundant too so you can jump around if you'd like. Minocqua is the most touristy of the bunch, the wives might like that. I'd recommend Tom Boley in The Hayward area for a guide. Not familiar with any in the Minoqua or Vilas areas.

Have you already done Iowa's Okojobi or the South Dakota glacier lakes? They would be worth looking into as well with some good fishing within your distance.
Da Pack!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.