The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: West Central WI early ice  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
West Central WI early ice
« on: Nov 02, 2018, 10:26 AM »
Long shot here, but wondering if anyone has any tips on lakes or bays of lakes that freeze up early in the season. Been in Eau Claire area for 4 years now and every winter I struggle to find anywhere nearby (other than halfmoon, and I really don't like halfmoon) that tend to freeze up earlier than other lakes. I find myself traveling up to Sawyer county or towards Wausau but I know there has to be something closer. The lakes I usually fish are the typical deep, spring fed lakes that take forever to freeze.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for an early ice "honey hole", heck I don't even care if there are any fish! Just looking for somewhere to get out as early as possible to satisfy the itch and make sure everything is in working order.
Da Pack!

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: West Central WI early ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2018, 07:38 AM »
butch's bay and cutoff menomonee. glen loch chippewa falls,  back waters of the mississippi.

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont wish your life away!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2018, 08:26 AM »
We have made it out on some of cheteks lakes like mud lake early ice. Ive fished there with descent results. Also prairie can be good early.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2018, 06:30 AM »
Thanks guys! Chetek chain is probably one of the most popular fishing spots in the area that I've never actually been on. Mississippi backwaters make me nervous but every year I tell myself i'm going to try it out. With the temps coming up it's just a matter of time now!
Da Pack!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2018, 12:52 PM »
Once you get north of hyw. 8 lots of small lakes that freeze early.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2018, 02:12 PM »
Last year I headed up towards Cumberland area early ice but struck out on finding any lakes with people fishing or ice that I felt safe on without having been on the lake before. And I'm pretty ballsy when it comes to first ice lol. I'm sure I just didn't check out the right lakes for the area since I don't typically fish out that way. Ended up going to Hayward to fish a body I was at least familiar with. I heard over towards Balsam lake there is usually some good early ice fishing so I'll probably give that a try as well.
Da Pack!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2018, 10:52 AM »
I honestly wouldn't waste my time looking for safe ice until maybe Thanksgiving. It's only 2 weeks away.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2018, 11:01 AM »
I honestly wouldn't waste my time looking for safe ice until maybe Thanksgiving. It's only 2 weeks away.

I'm not planning on it, but last year we had that cold snap around this time and I took off work the Wednesday before thanksgiving to get on the ice expecting to see a lot more ice than I did. Unless I have another good opening weekend of gun hunting, I won't be on the ice at least until the 24th. Hopefully won't need to worry about finding ice by that point...

2 weeks feels like an eternity after all summer though, ya know? lol
Da Pack!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2018, 01:49 PM »
I'm pretty good at finding any good ice around here. I will post as soon as I find any. I need 2" - 3" of clear ice to feel safe along with safety equipment lots of rope, spud bar, and flotation devise.  Prepare for the worst hope for the best.

Offline smokey1508

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2018, 08:02 PM »
i have been seeing ppl out on upper turtle lake since around thanksgiving

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.