Author Topic: Plus Tax  (Read 850 times)

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
Plus Tax
« on: Sep 21, 2018, 09:46 AM »
Just an FYI -

Cabelas and Basspro now charge tax on internet orders in extended States. Placed an order from each yesterday and tax was added after shipping charges. In RI, we never had tax on internet orders but it looks like a new law has been passed.

Here is a list from basspro.

https://basspro.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13
Just add water.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Plus Tax
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2018, 09:55 AM »
It’s getting to be like that for a lot of internet purchases. Won’t be long before tax is added for everything.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2018, 10:30 AM »
As it should be. Those businesses still have to pay their state tax on everything they sell so it only makes sense that online patrons would pay it when online shopping out-of-state (just like an in-store purchase). I know it’s a bummer but I never understood why it wasn’t just like that to begin with. As consumers, it’s our responsibility to pay those out-of-state taxes (that are not collected at the time of purchase) when it comes to filing our yearly taxes. Nobody ever does though. That’s why laws are being passed for online shopping (so the tax man gets paid). So, technically, millions of online shoppers commit tax fraud everyday without even knowing it.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2018, 11:52 AM »
technically, millions of online shoppers commit tax fraud everyday without even knowing it.

As I understand it, that's true.  Actually, I don't know the difference between fraud and evasion, but many of us have apparently been legally obligated to pay sales tax, but the online vendors didn't collect it.  I once had an accountant tell me if I walked into the state tax commission and announced I was there to pay my online sales tax, that they would chase me back out of the door, because they weren't set up to have us all do that.

I will miss the days when sales tax wasn't collected by the vendor for online purchases.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2018, 12:02 PM »
With most companies, if they had an existing store location in your state, they charged you state tax all along.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2018, 12:38 PM »
As I understand it, that's true.  Actually, I don't know the difference between fraud and evasion, but many of us have apparently been legally obligated to pay sales tax, but the online vendors didn't collect it.  I once had an accountant tell me if I walked into the state tax commission and announced I was there to pay my online sales tax, that they would chase me back out of the door, because they weren't set up to have us all do that.

I will miss the days when sales tax wasn't collected by the vendor for online purchases.

While it is true that the end user is technically responsible for paying sales tax, it is up to the retailer to pay the tax they collected from the end user.  So the burden is on the store, not the end user.  Even if the retailer isn't separating the tax from the item price on your total at "checkout", they may be just burying the tax total in the price of their products.  That's why you don't see the excise tax as a separate line from a lure manufacturer, although they still need to pay the tax.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2018, 06:45 PM »
This shouldn't be a surprise Besides using gift cards, or hard to find items Cabelas or bass pro is the worst place to buy anything from my experience.

They typically are higher priced then the majority of places. So....I don't see sales tax changing any of my purchasing practices from them. My last few instore stops at Bass pro and cabelas have ended in disappointment. Stopped to get a 3,000-4,000 yard bulk spool of mono line....advertised in the sales ad only to find out they did not have any in stock. Really? It's in your fricking ad you just sent out yesterday. Then wanted a worm threader.....none in stock. Wanted some live target bait ball lures......none in stock.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2018, 07:14 PM »
Lousy merchandise manager...it's seems that good help is very hard to find.

Anyone can sell electronics...the customer are usually very knowledgeable in that area.   Now actual lures and tackle hardware...finding a retail sales person who can tie a fishing knot know how...rare as platinum.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.